Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas Dinner Menu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first waive of Family comes late tomorrow with others arriving throughout the week. We have a menu scheduled for each day we have Family here. All sorts of Beef, Pork, and Holiday Goodies will be served in several different forms. Let the fun begin!

Comment

• skipsdaughter
      skipsdaughter commented
      Editing a comment
      Want me to bring anything?

We are flying to Alexandria, VA for Christmas. (Yeah, I know). Son in law is a great cook, will present a crown roast of pork with stuffing. Lots of assorted sides from all. Renee is making one of her amazing cheesecakes.

Won’t be a big crowd, but we have few chances to be with our kids, and things may be shutting down again, who knows.
    Last edited by Texas Larry; December 20, 2021, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      At least your flying domestic, flights from Canada to US are/can be a joke right now.

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey, welcome to Alexandria (in advance)! Hope your travels are smooth and your family time warm and wonderful.

Well, the current plan is to do steaks.

We have Porter Road (Sierra, Flat Iron, Denver) some Click bavette and petite tenders, and a ribeye, so we will probably do 3-5 steaks with roast potatoes. I'm thinking I'd really like to do barelfly 's green chile cornbread as well. And maybe a good peppercorn sauce. We have some green and red peppercorns, but I've yet to research if they go well with steaks. Anyone know?

The following week, as I mentioned to DaveD , I am planning to do pigskit, and defrost some previously cooked pork butt.

Comment

We are doing our big meal tomorrow (21st) as that is the only time all the kids could agree on for an all-evening get-together and to exchange gifts with each other. All of them have been married 2 years or less, and will be bouncing among families on Christmas and Christmas Eve. We will see them for one or the other of those days and give them our gifts then, but we won't see them all at the same time this weekend.

Prime rib is on the menu for tomorrow evening, and I've got the day off work for cooking and such. We will contribute the prime rib, gravy and mashed potatoes to the menu, kids will bring other sides. No clue what those are - there is a signup managed by one of my daughters. I've got to go dairy free on the mashed potatoes (use margarine, no milk or cream) due to a milk allergy with the grandbaby, who is still nursing some.

Our Christmas Eve tradition when the kids were little was just finger foods, where we let each kid pick their own item at the store - stuff that could go in the oven. It was always a hodgepodge of chicken fingers or wings, cheese sticks, mini egg rolls or pizza rolls and such fare. We would play games, watch a movie, and I would read The Night Before Christmas before sending them packing to bed...

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        I was talking to my daughter the other day and she reminded my of how I would give her and her brother boxes to wrap, and when they asked whose name to put on them, I said put your name on that one. That would get the fired up, but it worked every year lol

Our game plan is for a three-bone prime rib roast, which we'd ordered from Crowd Cow (they were on special) for delivery tomorrow. Just got notified that it won't arrive before 23rd, which is cutting it close for getting it thawed out in time. Fingers crossed. My lovely bride is in charge of this meal, I'm just manual labor. I'll be trying out smoking a prime rib in the near future, see if I can produce something as good as hers, but not for the Xmas dinner.

Sides will be the Pioneer Woman's mashed potatoes recipe, some kind of green veg tbd, probably some dinner rolls. She makes an amazing reduction, building on recipes two of my sisters have worked up over the decades. Two bottles of cabernet, half a bottle of ruby port, and a bunch of goodies like bay leaf, garlic, and more. Reduce that down to about half volume, then add the roast drippings, some heavy cream, and red currant jelly. Cook down until all of that reduces to two cups. Absolute nirvana spooned over the roast and taters... *drool*

[How does this forum not have a "drool" emoji as one of the go-to's in the editor?? ]

Comment

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll take that action. Will document fully on the day.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        DaveD awesome …. I foresee this being used at Chez Cowperthwaite ….. with proper credit to you and yours

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Also, if the roast doesn’t arrive until 23rd, you can probably defrost in a water bath if necessary

Interesting dinners this year. Not the usual big feast. Just easy peasy......

Christmas dinner (12/25) with my in-laws

Lasagna (I'll be making a Ragu sauce from fresh toms)
      Green salad
      Rolls

Christmas dinner (12/26) with my family

Appetizer: Shrimp cocktail
      Halibut enchiladas
      Homemade rice and beans

Tonight I will be doing a sous vide rib roast. Gotta have my hunk of beef during the holidays

Happy Holidays and a Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

Comment

Prime rib at SIL's it's her tradition. I'll bring apple and cherry pie,and make yorkshire pudding.
        There will be around 20 of us with everyone providing sides.
        This of course will be covid permitting...

Comment

Having family over for Christmas day (about 10 or 12)
          I'm making
          Ranch dressing dip
          Crock pot Beef Queso dip
          Pickled Shrimp
          Double Smoked Ham
          Twice Bake Potatoes
          People are bringing everything else

Comment

My experience is that the more stuff I make, the less of everything my guests eat. Then they destroy the rib roast. Last year, I actually did two Wagyu steaks, sliced into thin strips, for an appetizer; it didn’t get finished! (Yes, of course I finished it myself.)

Salad
            Prime rib roast
            Baked or mashed potatoes (this year will be mashed)
            A green vegetable (broccoli probably)
            Pies. This year it’s pumpkin and banana cream.

We usually set out chips and dip, and cheese and crackers, for our guests to nibble on if the roast takes too long.

Comment

Planning on making Basque Lamb Stew: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/basque_lamb_stew/

We've made this recipe a couple times, and it's come out great.

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh schnikeys …. That’s going on my to make list

We originally planned for a prime rib roast for 6 people, but it now turns out that the family of 4 won't be coming, so time for a quick change-up. Glad I didn't buy the roast already.

I did stop at the local butcher last night to check out their roasts. $36/lb for Prime bone-in roast, about $27/lb for Choice. Yikes! Haven't checked Costco yet, or perhaps the Kroger stores are having a sale this week.

Thermoworks has been teasing me with their double-smoked glazed ham recipe, and I have a spiral-cut in the freezer. I think we're going to do that for the two of us.

Comment

Love hearing about all the cool traditions and intriguing menu items!

Comment

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree! I find myself imagining the table, the feast, the bonhomme, the smiles.

Christmas Even Menu
                Ham - Double Smoked with Apricot Glaze
                Potato Salad
                Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad
                Homemade Bread
                Lima Beans
                Orange Salad (my wifes specialty and it is amazing)
                Pecan Pie
                Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake

Christmas Day Lunch

New twist this year. Very light by request from the family, but my wife and I are preparing everything with the exception of the Chicken Mini's..

Sausage Balls
                Ham Biscuits
                Cheese Ball
                Veggie Tray
                Fruit Tray
                Chips and Dip
                Chex Mix
                Chocolate Chip Cookies
                Chicken Mini's from Chick Fil A

Comment

Xmas night with the in-laws (12 guests):

Ramen soup with broth made from pork, chicken, mushrooms, and beef bones, all blackened
                  Teriyaki pork tenderloin medallions
                  Boiled eggs cut in half
                  Asian noodles
                  Bean sprouts
                  Cilantro

Pulled Pork Egg Rolls

December 26th with my Dad's side of the family (14 guests):

Two racks whole spare ribs KC style
                  One rack Memphis style
                  One rack blasphemy mgaretz
                  Rib tips

Savory roasted pepper baked beans (frijoles negro)
                  Mac and Cheese
                  Shrimp Cocktail

Comment

Mixed Bag based on requests: 6-8 folks...some staying at the house for the weekend

Prob. fajitas on Christmas eve...travelers in bound...they can make wraps as they arrive

Wife: Ham- Boiled in Ginger Ale (140 degrees or so ) then smoked for an Hour
                    Sister in law: Indian Candy Salmon
                    Son: Lamb (going to Costco today...not sure what I will end up with)

Sweet Potato Hash - Equal parts Red onion/ Sweet potato/ Apple... all sliced thin on food processor then cooked on the camp chef griddle (flash boil the sweet potato to soften...a little water from draining helps steam the apples & onion)

Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon drizzled w/ Balsamic/Merlot Reduction

Costco Cheesecake

Paired with Pinot Noir or Prophecy

I will post pics of how this turns out

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here