Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non Potato Burger sides?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greek orzo salad (orzo, tomato, kalamata olives, red onion, feta, vinegar, oil) or a green salad or both. Sweet potato fries .... it's different from normal potato side. Greek salad - tomato, olives, cucumbers, red onions, vinegar, oil ..... one of my all time favorite salads. Sautéed green beans. Grilled asparagus. Pickles. Deviled eggs.

Comment

Good ole macaroni salad or a vinegar based cole slaw.

Comment

I like baked beans with anything

Comment

• Dalmore
          Dalmore commented
          Editing a comment
          Ditto.

I’m a big coleslaw fan. When tomatoes are fresh I like to make Chris Lilly’s creole cole slaw. Of course, grilled sweet potatoes are another of my go-to’s but that goes against your OP.

Comment

Mac 'n Cheese goes with everything in my house. my son tops his burger with a spoonful or will mix it with chili (which is another popular burger go-along!). I'm a crisp green salad guy - love it with cucumbers, croutons and Bob's Big Boy Roquefort dressing.
          But truthfully, it's hard not to pair a burger with some 'tater. it just goes so good.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions all! My wife has been deemed prediabetic so we're trying to shift towards lower Glycemic Index foods. Otherwise - we'd be rocking some fries with these burgers, and probably some baked beans as well. Personally, I'm not a big pasta eater so pasta salads had not crossed the radar. Gonna research that some to see if I can find some lower GI versions since my wife loves pasta being 3rd generation Italian American.

Comment

Creamy Cucumber Pasta Salad

Ingredients

1 long english cucumber
              ½ pound medium sized pasta such as penne or rotini
              ½ sweet white onion
              Dressing
              ½ cup sour cream
              ½ cup mayonnaise
              1 teaspoon sugar
              ½ teaspoon salt
              2 tablespoons fresh dill
              2 tablespoons white vinegar
              pepper to taste
              Instructions
              Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
              Thinly slice onion and place in a bowl of cold water. (see note)
              Cook pasta al dente according to package directions. Run under cold water to stop cooking.
              Cut cucumber in half lengthwise and remove seeds using a spoon. Slice into thin slices.
              Toss all ingredients in a large bowl. Let sit at least 40 minutes before serving.
              Notes Soaking the onions in cold water is optional but takes a bit of the "bite" out of the onion.

Comment

Slaw, corn-on-the-cob, watermelon-cucumber-feta salad, loaded (lots of fixin’s) Bloody Mary, cucumber-onion-sour cream salad

Comment

• Dalmore
                  Dalmore commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Loaded Bloody Mary ... Perfect side with almost anything!!

But talk to me about that watermelon cucumber feta salad - recipe?

• SheilaAnn
                  SheilaAnn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Possibilities are endless. I usually do a 2:1:1 ratio. Watermelon:cuke:feta. Toss with a good olive oil, salt & pepper. Garnish with julienne mint or basil. Sometimes on a bed of baby spinach or arugula.

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you get really crafty, you could just attach a slider to that Bloody Mary and call it dinner!

Dalmore one thing I've done involving watermelon and goat cheese is grilled watermelon. You grill it over a medium direct heat for 3-5 minutes per side. Drizzle a bit of rice wine on it, then top with a slice of goat cheese :-)

Comment

• SheilaAnn
                  SheilaAnn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  At my old job when we would do an outdoor event, we would grill the watermelon and top it with a slice of lardo….so decadent.

Charred corn salsa is a go to for me

Comment

Cheetos

Comment

Caprese salad
                    watermelon feta mint salad
                    corn on the cobb or Mexican version - elote
                    gazillion different pasta salads
                    onion rings are classic
                    etc etc

Comment

Avocado, corn, and tomato salad. https://www.panningtheglobe.com/corn...avocado-salad/

Sometimes I put a dollop of guacamole on each serving instead of the diced avocado. I also grill the corn for more flavor.

Click image for larger version  Name:	avocado-corn-salad-5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	157.1 KB ID:	1030543

Kathryn
                      Last edited by fzxdoc; May 12, 2021, 06:39 AM.

Comment

My wife and I have been doing a lower carb / keto thing for about a year. We really like this cauliflower "potato" salad.

This quick and easy cauliflower salad tastes just like traditional potato salad, if not even better — especially on the grill. Potato salad is one of the most common barbecue side dishes, and we're proud to present this glorious keto version with an extra crunch.

Comment

I totally forgot…. Old fashioned, steak house Wedge Salad. I top with either hard boiled eggs and slivered almonds (don’t know it until you try it) or avocado, bacon crumbles, cucumbers and tomatoes. Lots of cracked black pepper.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here