Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your favorite pie...or dessert?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So hard to narrow it down. I love pretty much all pies. Apple, blueberry, coconut cream, banana cream, chess pie, pecan pie, cheesecake... they are all good. My wife's grandpa used to see "There are two types of pie I like. Warm pie and cold pie". But not really a fan of peach or strawberry pie.

My go-to dessert to make when I am smoking a big hunk of meat is usually banana pudding. Easy to make, no cooking required, and most everyone likes it.

Comment

3 of my all time favorites are of the simple variety:

1. good fresh made chocolate chip cookies,
      2. moist chocolate cake w/ peanut butter frosting,
      3. and ooey-gooey brownies.

Never said no to a good cinnamon-y apple pie either, as long as the crust is good. If you suck at making pie crust, I'll pass...

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        We are definitely on the same page. I love all 3 - 'cept I never had PB frosting on my chocolate cake...so, I've gotta try that.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        See below....

Well, I use to like creme brulee, but now you've piqued my interest in this banana cream pie. Great!, now I gotta get both this Christmas.

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I put the recipe below

I mean good lord, I love desserts, but... baked fudge (no, its not fudge... its not a brownie... its somewhere in between the best of both worlds and you damn sure better get your own cuz I'm not sharing), and ooey gooey butter cake.

Comment

Boston Cream Pie is right up there too, though calling it a "pie" is a bit debatable!

Comment

Peach Pie wrapped in a butter flaky crust dressed while warm with premium vanilla bean ice cream.

Comment

By the way, here's the recipe that my wife uses

This showstopper is a worthwhile project. Set aside some time 2 days ahead to make the components, then practice saying "Aw shucks, that was nothing!" to raving guests.

Comment

I LOVE another Bacon Cheeseburger for desert...

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                HAHAHAHA, I was reading that at first, and was like wait.......oh, he wants another burger. I thought you actually had a recipe for this. LOL

• JCBBQ
                JCBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                PJBowmaster hahahahaha

• PJBowmaster
                PJBowmaster commented
                Editing a comment
                Someone once said...."The only thing better than meat and potatoes...is meat and meat". Yup!!!

JCBBQ (Too long for comment, so this gets its own post)

Marilyn Miller's Peanut Butter Frosting:
              Oh it's great, it's roughly:
              • 1 Cup smooth peanut butter
              • 1/2 C butter, softened but not liquid (less to taste if you want p.b. flavor stronger)
              • 1/4 C milk
              • 1 tsp vanilla
              • Add powdered sugar (start with 1/2 C) and stir w/ fork , add more to desired thickness

If you love peanut butter like me then this may just be addicting.

*These are rough estimates, add slowly & adjust until the taste and consistency suit you.

Comment

• JCBBQ
                JCBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                OK, now you've gone and done it. We may have a winner!!!!

Pretty darn warm STRAWBERRY RHUBARB PIE. I guess it's become a dying art to harvest and prep the fresh rhubarb correctly.

And a SHOUT OUT to Pensacola FL for having several spots with some of the best BOURBON GLAZED BREAD PUDDING in the US. Anytime Top Gun needs me for a few days, I know I'm having bread pudding every day at dinner, and smoked red beans and rice with sausage or chicken from a stand by the marina on base every day for lunch.

AND I know I'll be at McGuire's my last night, and be scheduling my flight out for after noon.

Comment

My sous vide cheesecake topped with dulce de leche, Not Yo’ Mama’s Banana Pudding and the chocolate chip cookies my better half makes.

Comment

I should mention, this was absolutely amazing.
                  ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Another favorite!

• JCBBQ
                    JCBBQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh, baby! I'm off to buy some little jars!

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I served with bourbon cherries and crushed Oreo thins. There might’ve been a bit in there for the topping, too.

Ah, I got caught up in the "pie" thing because of the way the thread started. But my favorite dessert is sacher torte - a German egg-white based chocolate cake with a melted semi-sweet chocolate icing and an apricot inter-layer filling. I happen to like the version I make.

Comment

• JCBBQ
                    JCBBQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Damn! That sounds good. Never had it.

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Had a soccer torte in Vienna and it was all that and more.

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    pretty sure I posted the recipe I use in the last week, but I'll look around. In the wrong part of the house to just repost it now.

This time a year - chocolate pecan pie

anytime - coconut cake (of nearly any iteration)

Comment

JCBBQ - Sacher Torte: here's the link. You'll need to click on the photos to read it.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-weekend/page2

Comment

• JCBBQ
                      JCBBQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      U da MAN! Thanks, Ed!

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Let us know what you think when you make it! BTW, because of its ingredients it does not need to be refrigerated for a week at least. But it won't last that long.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here