Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SVQ Pastrami - Perfected

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    I would. You probably won't need to PC very long, certainly less than a half-hour, maybe even half of that once it comes up to pressure.

• Philo in AZ
    replied
    I'll report back tomorrow. I think I'll go in and do some price comparing and record some pricing. Be nice to have price gouge stored on my phone.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    Philo in AZ How much more money are they than the packers, per lb? Our Packers are $2.89/lb for Prime and $8.99/lb for choice flats. I just buy the whole packer. I get a better flat and the marbly point is an added bonus.

I do wish my Costco had short ribs. This recipe would be fun to do with shorties. (As Dave did) It would probably be much easier, actually. Especially when calculating, as you said.

Leave a comment:

• Philo in AZ
    commented on 's reply
    You can buy separate flats at my Costco. I haven't seen packs of boneless short ribs but will ask tomorrow since I am already going. I am defrosting a boston butt for pulled pork this week so I have a little room in the freezer at the moment.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, the only way to get points is to buy the packers. The flats are not serrated at the store, so they don't sell them separately. I wish they did. I would be all over that! However, maybe the are grinding them up for something else too. Who knows.

• Philo in AZ
    commented on 's reply
    I could do one packer but which method was done to the point would have an advantage so I wanted to keep it even. Maybe I'll just go with the boneless short ribs and do 4lbs each.

• Philo in AZ
    commented on 's reply
    I usually make my pastrami from point cuts, but I have limited space in my deep freezer for storing the points or flats for later. I haven't seen separate point cuts at Costco, just the flats.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Yes sir! Or buy whole packers...They are Prime and will give you even better results. You can always separate the point from the flat. And Point pastrami is like a "Meat opiate." I can't get enough.

• Philo in AZ
    replied
    Thanks Spinaker. I might just try two flats and pressure cook one and SV the other. Good thing flats from Costco are pretty cheap!

Leave a comment:

• Thunder77
    commented on 's reply
    Oh YEAH!!

• Spinaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Philo in AZ View Post
    Question for you more experienced types. Although I have an Anova SV, I was wondering if anyone has tried finishing the roast in a pressure cooker? It should only take 45-60 mins to fully steam. I have had amazing results cooking chickens this way for making chicken soups.
    There is no harm in trying. But the reason I like to SV the pastrami, instead of steaming, is because I want to try to preserve the bark that was formed during the smoking step. I also want to further break down the connective tissues etc.

I am curious, give it a try. That is how I discovered I like SV better than steaming. Let us know what you come up with.

Leave a comment:

• Philo in AZ
    replied
    Question for you more experienced types. Although I have an Anova SV, I was wondering if anyone has tried finishing the roast in a pressure cooker? It should only take 45-60 mins to fully steam. I have had amazing results cooking chickens this way for making chicken soups.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Here we go!!! Your killing me right now. No breakfast or lunch yet!

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    That looks amazing. Especially with that Jarlsberg cheese melting into everything. I love that stuff

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    That's what we're talking about!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here