Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SVQ Pastrami - Perfected

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jjdbike
    replied
    Originally posted by jfmorris View Post

I can answer that, as I've done this technique many times.

Desalinate the corned beef flat overnight in water, then pat dry and add your pastrami rub. I prefer to put the rub on and let it sit overnight in the fridge again, so that the rub sticks really well.

I then smoke the flats until they hit about 170, unwrapped. I then pull them off the smoker, and vacuum seal. I then put in the fridge if planning to have a pastrami feast soon, otherwise I've frozen it for months in the deep freeze. When ready to finish, I just drop the vacuum sealed smoked flat into the SV bath at 195F for 4 hours. 5 if frozen. Pull from the bath, cut the bag open and place on a cutting board and slice with a sharp knife if eating hot. We did this for St. Patrick's day - pastrami Rubens.

If you want to use a deli style slicer, take the flat out of the bag, so that the surface can dry out, and put in the fridge until chilled, then run through the slicer. I've done this when slicing thin for lunch meat.
    Outstanding!
    Thanks so much!
    I know what I’m cooking over spring break!
    Best regards.
    JD

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    Originally posted by jjdbike View Post

This looks and sounds amazing!!!!
    I have two corned beef flats in my freezer destined for pastrami. How would I need to modify this smoke / SV “raw” short ribs, to pre corned beef flats?
    Respectfully,
    JD
    I can answer that, as I've done this technique many times.

Desalinate the corned beef flat overnight in water, then pat dry and add your pastrami rub. I prefer to put the rub on and let it sit overnight in the fridge again, so that the rub sticks really well.

I then smoke the flats until they hit about 170, unwrapped. I then pull them off the smoker, and vacuum seal. I then put in the fridge if planning to have a pastrami feast soon, otherwise I've frozen it for months in the deep freeze. When ready to finish, I just drop the vacuum sealed smoked flat into the SV bath at 195F for 4 hours. 5 if frozen. Pull from the bath, cut the bag open and place on a cutting board and slice with a sharp knife if eating hot. We did this for St. Patrick's day - pastrami Rubens.

If you want to use a deli style slicer, take the flat out of the bag, so that the surface can dry out, and put in the fridge until chilled, then run through the slicer. I've done this when slicing thin for lunch meat.

Leave a comment:

• jjdbike
    replied
    Originally posted by David Parrish View Post
    Folks you have GOT to try this method for Pastrami. This is far and away the best I've ever made, and I'm not sure it can get any better. I used Meathead's recipe, and tweaked it with my own experience as well as some advice I received from
    docblonder over a pastrami dinner we have in Boston last year. I'll highlight the differences from the standard recipe as I describe my process.

Acquire meat. My butcher rarely has brisket on the shelf, but always has boneless short ribs. I was wanting to try something different anyway so this time I grabbed 6 pounds of Angus grade boneless short rib meat which had been cut into many similar sized 4 ounce pieces.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n148542[/ATTACH]

I cured the meat for 2 1/2 weeks using Meathead's curing recipe, but bumped up 50% since the recipe is for 4 lbs of meat and I was curing 6. After the cure the meat looked florescent pink and the curing liquid was clear of cloudiness or scum.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n148547[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n148543[/ATTACH]

After the cure I desalinated the meat for 8 hours then rubbed it with Meathead's pastrami rub
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n148546[/ATTACH]

Let that sit in the fridge uncovered for a couple of days
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n148544[/ATTACH]

Then it's time to smoke. I placed the meat on the indirect side of the kettle with Slow 'N Sear and smoked it at 225 F. I used three cherry chunks for smoke flavor.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n148545[/ATTACH]
    This looks and sounds amazing!!!!
    I have two corned beef flats in my freezer destined for pastrami. How would I need to modify this smoke / SV “raw” short ribs, to pre corned beef flats?
    Respectfully,
    JD

Leave a comment:

• ewx050
    commented on 's reply
    Method 1 is what I do with deer pastrami. Rub, sous vide at 140 for 30 hours. Cool a bit in fridge. Then smoke. Perfection.
    Last edited by ewx050; March 18, 2024, 05:34 PM.

• Schwyy
    commented on 's reply
    I've mentioned in the prior comments that this recipe alone is worth a Year's membership

• willxfmr
    commented on 's reply
    Your technique is the only way I make it anymore. Can't thank you enough for sharing it with us!

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    The technique you outlined here is the best pastrami I've ever made, and the only method I plan to use going forward! SNS Deluxe Kamado meets new fangled electronic sous vide gadget... I was looking for uses for the Anova or else was going to get rid of it...

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    As it should...

K.

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    I'd eat that !!!

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    That’s what I say every time I make it

• David Parrish
    replied
    Very honored to see this thread still getting attention!

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    Looks great and welcome to The Pit.

• BpiccuK2
    replied
    This was one of the best things that I have ever made.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_145464.jpg Views:	46 Size:	1.23 MB ID:	1040280
    employee monitoring software
    Last edited by BpiccuK2; June 9, 2021, 03:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IowaGirl
    commented on 's reply
    Where do you live? I'm on my way for summa dat.......

• David Parrish
    commented on 's reply
    Nailed it!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here