Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SVQ Pastrami - Perfected

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    What he said!

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    If you're finishing at 195, there's no reason to wait other than so you can handle it. I haven't used SV to finish pastrami, but that does seem a bit high.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Welcome to the pit!

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    Welcome to The Pit Zevi.

• David Parrish
    replied
    Originally posted by Zevi View Post
    Greeting !
    Braving a (possibly) stupid post: I'm trying to do this Katz's Pastrami but as recommended here - finish Sous Vide (195Fx4hr) instead of steaming.
    What do I do in between? I mean I can't just put the meat off the Kamado into the plastic bag, right? Should I shock-cool the meat before that? Wait on the counter top for a couple hours? Refrigirate?

Sorry, I know it sounds dumb, but...

Thank you! Zevi.
    Welcome Zevi! We're glad you're here. You can absolutely go from smoker to SV if you want. If you are going to SV another day, it's best to shock them down to fridge temps until you're ready.

Leave a comment:

• Zevi
    replied
    Greeting !
    Braving a (possibly) stupid post: I'm trying to do this Katz's Pastrami but as recommended here - finish Sous Vide (195Fx4hr) instead of steaming.
    What do I do in between? I mean I can't just put the meat off the Kamado into the plastic bag, right? Should I shock-cool the meat before that? Wait on the counter top for a couple hours? Refrigirate?

Sorry, I know it sounds dumb, but...

Thank you! Zevi.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    It is my favorite thing to make on the site. you would love it.

• David Parrish
    commented on 's reply
    Maybe some day. This would be a very big undertaking.

• hoovarmin
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you, Dave. Would love to see ABCBBQ make a youtube video on this.

• David Parrish
    replied
    Originally posted by hoovarmin View Post
    David Parrish did you use the optional pickling spices when you made the corned beef?
    Yep!

Leave a comment:

• 6th Borough BBQ
    replied
    That looks great! I haven't tried a pastrami yet but need to soon...

Leave a comment:

• hoovarmin
    replied
    David Parrish did you use the optional pickling spices when you made the corned beef?

Leave a comment:

• kmhfive
    commented on 's reply
    Pictures? Sounds great. I've got to find the short rib plate.

• PaleoMeatEater
    replied
    I loved corned beef and the homemade recipe on this site. So I had to try this recipe. I ended up getting bone-in short ribs, which I cured for 10 days. My wife came home with small (3lb) beef and bison briskets from the farmers market. So I put all of these on the smoker this morning at 250F, then moved all but the pork belly to the SV after about 4.5 hours. I ran the SV for about 5 hours at 195F. The short ribs are truly awesome, and the briskets are very good too, even the lean bison brisket. I gotta try this with a large brisket next!

Leave a comment:

• Scott007
    replied
    Dry Pastrami
    I've been making pastrami for my restaurant for a year. Was using navel cut but the amount of labor to slice it and the yield made it awfully difficult to justify (but it did taste great) Using brisket now, brining for 10 days, a day in the clear water, 3 days in the spices and then smoking for 6 hours to get to 170. Steaming for 3 hours till 205. Point taste great but the flat is dry, though tasty. Any thought on how to get the flat not so dry, flavor not an issue????

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here