Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rancho Gordo Beans and Bean Club

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 58limited View Post
    Is there an heirloom rice company with a rice club? I wonder how many ways can I make beans and rice LOL.
    Actually.... https://ansonmills.com/products/23

btw here's a great video with Anson Mills https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgpgwBXKYHI
    Last edited by rickgregory; September 10, 2021, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      I mean, since you're ordering... the grits are amazing.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      I have had the quick white grits and they were way better than Quaker Old Fashioned I usually buy. A friend's wife made some awhile back when I was visiting them. And I recently saw Glen Roberts on a documentary about food brought to the US from Africa by slaves on Netflix - he was talking about Carolina Gold rice. I didn't know about Anson Mills - I probably was pouring a glass of bourbon when they mentioned the company.

• acorgihouse
      acorgihouse commented
      Editing a comment
      Perusing old threads and saw this. OMG. As a "properly raised southern girl" I love grits, and would never cook quick cooking ones, as my grandma would haunt me forever. I bought from a local mill till they closed, and resigned to amazon since. Ordering coarse white grits right now, thank you! Oh, btw, with a couple handfuls of shredded cheese at the last minute, and a sprinkle of Slap Ya Mama or Zatarain's, grits will change your life! Thanks

Ok I keep seeing the RG thread and finally just said I have to do it. Ordered some Scarlet Runner, some Marcella, and some Cranberry.

if as delicious as everyone says, maybe I’ll beg one of you for the key to unlock the secret bean club.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Arsenlael you will not be disappointed.

I don’t have the secret bean club. But I gotta inside source 😜
      Last edited by SheilaAnn; September 9, 2021, 11:47 PM.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      these are magic beans man, like Jack and the Beanstalk level. :-)

I hereby resolve to never again read a thread started by fzxdoc about some sort of food that I can get in a club. I admit it. I have a problem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rancho-Gordo - 1.jpeg
Views:	471
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	1091766

Comment

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      If my wife says anything about my stash of beans, I'll just show her this photo to let her know that I'm not in nearly as deep as some.

And then tell her we should probably buy those nifty storage containers...

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      It was a version of this picture that I was persuaded to up my pantry storage vessels!

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Happy to have contributed to your deliquency, ecowper.

Seeing all those beans on your countertop there makes me smile because I know I'm in good company.

My collection is nestled on a shelf in my pantry, sorted by reds, whites, and others, with the older beans of the same type in front of the rest of their kind so they get used first.

Kathryn

Picked up these today….. anyone have them? My friend said they are really flavorful!

Name:	5BC1E150-4FE5-4A03-AAD3-C63683646FEA.jpeg
Views:	455
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	1092066

Comment

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      I've got a pound of those in the bean box, I think I'm going to use a half pound and make some BBQ beans tomorrow.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I love the Hidatsa Reds. They're kidney bean wannabes. I got some in my RG Bean Club shipment and liked them so much I ordered 2 more bags.

I used them in RG's Indian Rajma soup recipe. Just excellent.
      This Flavorful North India Style Vegetarian Main Dishes Recipe of My Annoying Opinions Blog makes Rancho Gordo Dried Heirloom Eye of Goat Beans savory and smug.

Kathryn

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      I did end up making BBQ beans with these, and they were great. The only thing different I'd do is soak them in salted water for a few hours since the skins were a bit tough even though the beans were perfect. Other than that, they're basically better kidney beans. I'll definitely pick up more.

I got my first club shipment today but I am at the office so I am not sure what they sent. I do know I need some more shelf space...

Comment

I’m about to join the crowd. I didn’t "join the club" but do receive an order yesterday. 2types that ecowper & fzxdoc recommended & some black beans. We shall see.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Can't wait to hear what you think!

First club box

Name:	1DC9D7F3-9E16-4BC3-8B8A-C38C93A338A7.jpeg
Views:	480
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	1092717

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        P.S. those Royal Coronas are surprisingly delicious. They're so gigantic that they make me laugh. I clean my plate every time I make them, though.

K.

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Love the Coronas for dirty white beans!

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Okay, I’m gonna have to figure out the Royal Corona’s …. And can’t wait to do something with the brown rice.

So the other problem with these guys is that they sent a coupon with the club shipment for free shipping for anything over $10 but I have a limited time to use it. So there will be a least 2 more bags ordered soon. I can see that this is going to be a problem...

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        That's exactly why I have 38 bags of RG beans on my pantry shelf. We RG Bean Club members get a free shipping coupon for the current quarter with every Bean Club shipment. It contributes to my bean-buying deliquency.

K.

Used the Royal Coronas to make this: Tomato and Gigante Bean Bake, otherwise known as Pizza Beans, from Smitten Kitchen - https://smittenkitchen.com/2017/09/p...kbook-preview/

These beans are HUGE! They are also very very good.

Click image for larger version  Name:	pizza_beans.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.69 MB ID:	1093091

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Just read the recipe….. looks amazing!

I found this recipe for royal corona’s …. Unfortunately, I was already cooking Alubia Blanco’s as white beans and ham. So, it will be another week before I cook these beans. But I can’t wait.

Name:	6825DA5D-4427-4A41-966A-CD21838225B9.jpeg
Views:	466
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	1093199

Name:	6B232F2D-EF32-4ED0-8FB0-7232CF7A4694.jpeg
Views:	445
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	1093200

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        58limited I just read that recipe …. OMG

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I think I'm in love with that recipe, 58limited . The combo of ingredients sounds so delicious.

Eric, the royal corona recipe you found sounds familiar. I'll have to see if it's already in my Paprika. If not, it's going there ASAP.

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; September 14, 2021, 01:14 PM.

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        The lemony corona recipe went into my Paprika right away! I will most likely serve with a fat pork chop!
        Last edited by SheilaAnn; September 13, 2021, 06:52 PM.

My friend who sells RG beans went to pick up her stash for the season. I offer to help stock the shelves. And that gives me first dibs!

Name:	1FF24E59-C042-481A-90D0-99776DAFD231.jpeg
Views:	417
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1103665

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        I think I hate you a little right now... Just kidding.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow … imagining the backend of my truck looking like that

So, my wife asked me what kind of people are in this Pitmaster Club. Everything was going great with my answer: Oh all kinds, a basic cross-section of society. You've got doctors, lawyers, pastors, cross-dresser[s], mechanics, woodworkers, lots of retirees, musicians, ... She didn't blink or even raise an eyebrow until I said there is one group I can't explain. There are these bean junkies. And they cook them on the stove!

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I love being In the bean junkie group that you can’t explain!

Well, we applied for membership to the bean club. It appears that it's 12-14 months to get a shot at an invitation. However, you can entertain yourself for some time by perusing the pleadings posted by desperate folks in the reviews!

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        wild guess, but I think one of the reasons I got through my invitation pretty fast is because I was buying beans every couple of months.

Good luck! I was on the waiting list for three years. I signed up just after fzxdoc started this thread and I got just recently got my first shipment. Now to get creative with some beans.

Comment

After being on the waitlist for a while, before Covid so 2 yrs +/-, I just today got the email with my code. Just joined the quarterly club and added a few more beans to the order. I’m in! Now practicing the secret handshake.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here