Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Navy Bean Soup with a BBQ Flair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Navy Bean Soup with a BBQ Flair

This method for Bean Soup includes using smoked meats to give it a bit of a Smokey BBQ flair. The smoke is really mild, but definitely present. The approach for this is a combo of Katie Hill’s bean stock for cassoulet and the US Senate’s Navy Bean Soup. To that I add hamhocks I smoked and some of my homemade bacon. This is a modification of the ham and bean soup recipe I posted on Hulagn1971 thread about easy bean soup recipe.

Mashed together my mom’s beans and hamhocks recipe (which she got from the US Senate Bean Soup recipe, she says) with the stock base recipe for cassoulet, the result is this soup.

1 pound dried white beans (or navy beans, pintos, whatever you have handy, but white beans are best)
    I use Rancho Gordo Alubia Blanco’s so I don’t have to soak overnight
    2 smoked hamhocks (this is about the beans, not the meat)
    bouquet of bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, parsley, celery leaves tied in a cheese cloth
    1 medium onion, peeled, whole
    1 medium carrot, peeled, whole
    2-3 stalks celery, chopped
    1 tsp black peppercorns
    6 slices of bacon, whole (i used 8 oz of my maple-whiskey bacon)
    3-4 whole garlic cloves
    1 quart chicken stock
    8 oz lager - any decent, non-bitter beer

soak beans based on instructions, if they are grocery store beans, overnight for sure.
    Brown the bacon slices in the soup pot, deglaze with the lager
    add the rest of the ingredients except chopped celery to soup pot
    Add enough water so that hamhocks are just barely covered with liquid
    bring to boil for 5 minutes
    turn down to very low simmer for 90 minutes .... a very low simmer means just barely getting 1-2 bubbles at a time
    remove all the ingredients from the bean soup except beans, stock, and peppercorns.
    Salt/pepper the bean stock to taste, if needed
    remove all meat from hamhocks, discard bone and rind (or save bone/rind for making cassoulet)
    discard bouquet
    Chop up ham, onion, bacon, carrot (will be mushy)
    add everything back to the beans/stock
    simmer for another 90 minutes or until beans are to your desired tenderness
    Add celery about 15 minutes before the end. You want the celery to add some crunch and flavor, not get mushy

Serve with crusty bread, biscuits, or cornbread

Important note: Everything is approximate. I don’t actually measure precisely when I’m cooking beans. I throw stuff in the pot until it looks right.

Browning bacon in Dutch oven
    Click image for larger version  Name:	078F9465-55B3-4359-A137-BBE117780547.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	70.0 KB ID:	858452

Beans, garlic, onion
    Click image for larger version  Name:	CD06A992-BA7A-4D04-A540-09D912B4FD52.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	103.6 KB ID:	858451

Beans at a hard boil
    Click image for larger version  Name:	D2F3194B-3085-4242-B3A7-1AD9F242BA99.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	108.7 KB ID:	858449

Everything covered just to top of the hamhocks
    Click image for larger version  Name:	54C2A6C1-4DB2-481D-B4B0-E892CCE22079.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	89.1 KB ID:	858450

90 minutes in, pulled hamhocks, bacon, etc out of the pot, chopped it all up, added it back
    Click image for larger version  Name:	8A3CBC0F-7D2B-4FE3-B104-E334ACA4B4BE.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	110.1 KB ID:	858453

Looking darn tasty
    Click image for larger version  Name:	16977918-EC45-4CC6-9D45-E3AE361B6F9E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	85.6 KB ID:	858455

Stacy made some drop biscuits
    Click image for larger version  Name:	FCF29F08-8598-431B-8505-CA843B317E22.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	98.8 KB ID:	858454

Served, with biscuits, green salad, and a French red wine from the Rhône valley.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	55B08885-3014-4770-A4E9-DE9DA0F0A39E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	70.7 KB ID:	858456
    Last edited by ecowper; June 7, 2020, 06:47 PM.

I love a good Senate Navy Bean Soup or variation of.

Comment

Looks awesome. Guessing no one can come near me for a few days, but hey! Social distancing!

Comment

10-4 I haven't had a good Navy Bean soup in years.
        Like your idea of smoking the hocks for added flavour.
        This recipe is on my bucket list.
        Thank you

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Give it a shot .... the hocks with a bit of smoke on them add a nice twist. I use hamhocks for a lot of stuff. I buy them at the butcher shop and smoke them for about 90 minutes or so, then freeze immediately. I pull some hamhocks from the freezer for this sort of thing.

I do the same always have smoked ham hocks for navy bean and split soup. They just add another dimension.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here