Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rancho Gordo Beans and Bean Club

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    That's good news. I didn't order any because I have so many right now, and as soon as they sold out I regretted my decision

• fzxdoc
    replied
    I ordered 4 lbs of the Good Mother Stallards as soon as I got the email. They go fast, both from the website and in our house once they arrive. They're really delicious, but I'm sure that part of my enthusiasm for them is the thrill of the hunt.

I saw in the email that the Rancho Gordo Bean Club members will be getting some Good Mother Stallards in the upcoming delivery. Yippee.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• SheilaAnn
    commented on 's reply
    yakima we JUST got a shipment in. I’m processing the invoice tomorrow. I did not see this bean on the shelf or else I would have pounced (something new for me). Let me ask.

• yakima
    commented on 's reply
    Wow.
    So, these beans must be 2023 harvest. Based on here in Central Washington, they are harvested in summer/fall, dried, cleaned, packaged, and available about 6 months after harvest.
    I wonder how many here ordered?
    Maybe SheilaAnn can set up a Bad Mother Stallard black market!

• Jessterr
    commented on 's reply
    Looks like they’re sold out already. 😞

• yakima
    commented on 's reply
    I have not had them. But based upon reviews by the bean nuts here, figured I would check them out!

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    The Good Mother Stallard beans were the best beans I have ever eaten. Rancho Gordo or any other bean. They are that good to me

• yakima
    commented on 's reply
    Yes. I ordered 2 lbs eye of the goat, 1 lb Rio Zape, 3 lbs good mother Stallard.

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    Same with Eye of the Goat.

• yakima
    replied
    Good Mother Stallard beans back in stock, per email today.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    I got some masoor dal lentils in my RG Club box mid-2023 shipment. I wonder if they'll start carrying them too.

K.

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you, that is exactly what I wanted to know!

• ecowper
    replied
    Mosca I stock all 3 types of Rancho Gordo lentils and use them for different things. I took a picture to illustrate the differences.

French Green lentils are traditional Puy Lentils that are used in French cooking. I use them for any typical Mediterranean or European lentil dish. They are smaller than typical green lentils, have a thin skin and a firm interior. The flavor is nutty.

Puglia lentils are traditional in Puglia region of Italy, the heel of the boot. I will use them for Italian cooking as well as any time a recipe calls for brown lentils or Pardina lentils (Spanish). Also a nutty flavor. And smaller than traditional brown lentils.

Black Caviar lentils are very small and look similar to black caviar when cooked. I have used them for cold lentil salad as well as a dish involving yogurt and spinach that was pretty darn good. The skin is very thin and almost melts in your mouth.

Here's a couple recipes I've cooked

Couldn’t decide if this belonged in Pasta or Beans, since it’s both. Finally decided on Pasta. Here’s how I made Pasta and Lentils in the style of Puglia, Italy …. Puglia is the heel of the boot and is farm and fishing country. They eat a lot of pasta, beans, and fish, not much in the way of sheep, pork, or beef. Those are

Peter Miller’s Lunch at the Shop: The Art and Practice of the Midday Meal is a favorite book of mine. Peter has a famous architectural bookstore in Seattle and he knows the value of a good meal. A typical workday is no excuse to eat poorly. Peter is also “bean people” and has many recipes taking advantage of good legum

Here's the picture, as promised ..... from left to right: Puy Lentils, Black Caviar Lentils, Puglia Lentils

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6428.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	1535488

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Here's a nice video on cooking Christmas Limas and navy beans. Christmas Limas at the 1:11 mile marker:

I don't soak Rancho Gordo beans but many here do. The video reinforces how quickly the Christmas Lima cooks compared to, say, the Marcella cannellini bean.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    replied
    ecowper’s post about the lentil soup, along with RG’s email informing me that scarlet runners are back in stock, has me looking at buying some lentils. RG has Black Caviar, French Green, and the Puglia that Eric used in his soup. Has anyone any insight on the differences? I’m pretty confident I could whip up something delicious with any of them, but I’d still like to hear what folks got going on.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here