Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PJ's Chicken And Sausage Gumbo Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PJ's Chicken And Sausage Gumbo Recipe

This is an excellent gumbo recipe I’ve used for years and and I really think you will like it. It’s similar to others out there, but this is the one I like best.

INGREDIENTS FOR THE ROUX
    1 1/4 cups of canola or vegetable oil (Do not use olive oil)
    1/4 cup of fresh bacon grease (remove any small bits or flecks of bacon)
    2 full cups of regular flour

REMAINING INGREDIENTS
    1 whole chicken cut up
    1 to 1 1/2 lbs. of Andouille Sausage
    2 cups of chopped celery
    1 large bell pepper
    1 large yellow onion
    1 bunch of green onions
    3 chicken bouillon cubes
    2 tbs. chopped garlic
    Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning (or your favorite Cajun seasoning)
    Tobasco Sauce (I prefer McIlhenny’s)
    1-2 large bay leaves

INSTRUCTIONS
    In a large 8-10 qt. pot boil the cut up chicken for 1 hour, and debone, saving the water when done. I like to do this well ahead of time so I don’t have so much going on at once. I use an 8 qt. pot and fill it about 3/4 of the way with salted water for boiling the chicken. This is a good time to cut up all the vegetables as well if you like.

MAKING THE ROUX
    In a large cast iron pot heat the oil and bacon grease to ALMOST smoking. Turn down the heat to medium low and slowly whisk the flour into the hot oil. Be careful and don’t put it all in at once, it will foam up a little. After all the flour is in the pot continue stirring with a wooden spoon. DO NOT STOP STIRRING. You must be careful to not burn the roux, black specks mean start over. If this is your first time, feel free to cook the roux on low, it will just take a little longer. This isn’t an exact timetable, but it takes me about 20-30 minutes for my roux to be done. Your mileage may vary. You must dedicate this whole time to constant stirring....No Breaks.
    Once the roux is a dark chocolate brown it is done. It should have about the consistency of thick catsup. Remove from heat and continue stirring an additional 2-3 minutes.

AFTER THE ROUX IS DONE
    This next step can be done 2 different ways. 1. Add a couple of cups of your chopped up vegetables into the roux that’s still in the cast iron pot and stir until well mixed. This will stop the cooking process of the roux. Then put all your vegetables and roux into the other pot with the water you boiled the chicken in.
    OR THIS WAY 2. Take the finished roux and pour it directly in the pot of water you boiled the chicken in. With a heavy cast iron pot, it’s much easier to do with 2 people. Either of these 2 ways is fine. I’ve not noticed a difference in taste either way. Just be careful when pouring hot roux into the water, it can start to boil up pretty quick sometimes. Add it slowly and stir constantly.

After the roux and all vegetables are in the pot, slowly bring to a boil, then simmer. Keep stirring for a few minutes, because the pot will start to foam over if not kept stirring for a while. Keep an eye on it. Mine boiled over a little bit last night when i wasn’t paying attention. Now add all the remaining ingredients except for the chicken and green onions. I will put in 2 teaspoons or so of Tony’s seasoning and a few good shakes of Tobasco sauce. Simmer for about 2 hours total. After an hour of simmering I now add the chicken and green onions and simmer for another hour. The reason I don’t add the chicken in the beginning, is I’ve found it to become a little stringy and separates too much into smaller pieces, not a big deal, just my preference. I find the texture of green onions to be a little better if not cooked as long also. This will taste better the next day, but I can’t wait that long myself. Serve over rice and enjoy with crackers or toasted garlic bread is even better.

NOTES: A lot of roux recipes call for equal amounts of flour and oil. I always use a little more flour because it makes for a thicker roux and my finished gumbo is not as watery. I also will use a little more than 1lb. of sausage because I’ve found when you get near the last of the gumbo, there was never enough sausage left. Also, if you don’t have bacon grease, just use all canola or vegetable oil. It’ll still be good.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; February 25, 2023, 06:46 PM.

Gumbo is on my very soon to do list. Chicken Andouille and Shrimp.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      You know what ofelles ? This felt a little strange, writing up a REAL recipe.

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      You mean you have been putting us on previously?

Beautilful. I love me some gumbo, made a few recipes, this one goes on the list. If I want to add shrimp, add in the last 5 minutes or so?

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh! Buy uncooked, unpeeled shrimp and make a quick stock with all the leftover veg seeds, stems and shrimp peel!!!!

It takes it to another level!

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      That would be great for a seafood gumbo. Not sure about chicken and sausage though. With this one you’re using the boiled chicken water and chicken bouillon cubes.

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John I add chicken, sausage and shrimp to my gumbo. I use a combo of better than bouillon chicken stock and homemade shrimp stock. It has worked for me, But I realize some may not care for the profile though.

Great write up! Thanks for sharing!!!

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, appreciate that! I guess it’s about time I shared a REAL recipe.

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      Wait, what? Your other posted recipes that I've been cooking aren't real?

Great job John. That bowl of Gumbo looks fantastic. I appreciate you detailed write up. There are many steps that are similar to my Gumbo. For instance I like using bacon fat as well for making my roux and I use a little more flour than oil too.

Great job and thank you.
    Last edited by TripleB; November 16, 2020, 05:03 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      I never have personally. If that would work or not...I don’t really know. Maybe someone else has done it?

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      CaliforniaDad - no, never tried beef tallow. Bet it would work.

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      ofelles
      duct tape probably wouldn't work so well, though, would it?

Nice write up. Justin Wilson would approve.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Don! I’ve got a Justin Wilson cook book and he’s got some great recipes. He’s got an okra with sausage recipe in it that’s killer.

You've gone and done it now! Now I have to make some gumbo soon!

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m with ya man! It finally got below 80 here and I had to do it.

That looks awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey gets turned into Turkey Gumbo Ya Ya

Comment

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        In our house, Leftover turkey is made into turkey noodle soup. My kids like Thanksgiving, but got to have the soup.

That’s more like a cross between a Creole and Cajun gumbo which should bring together the best of both worlds. As a side note the word "Gumbo" is an African word for okra which was brought to the new world by slaves. Creole gumbos usually have okra in them.

Comment

Love all the pics and step by step

Comment

Looks like a great recipe. I've been using straight home rendered lard to make the roux but I recently ran out. Home made lard makes an awesome roux, if you can get some good pork fat I recommend trying it.

I follow this method for making roux - very similar to yours but you apparently haven't learned the benefits that good beer can bring to the table when making a good roux http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/07/2...t-with-a-roux/

Comment

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          Not supposed to go in the pot, the beer is for your belly while you tediously and lovingly make an awesome roux.

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          Honestly, your method is basically how I make gumbo except I'm lazy and just use boneless skinless thighs (if I'm really being lazy I buy the prediced trinity from HEB). I also use homemade stock - it really makes a big difference, just as using the boiled chicken broth in your recipe would (I throw the chicken in raw instead of preboiling it so I have to use premade stock). Probably the best gumbo I ever made was with a pork stock I had in the freezer.
          Last edited by 58limited; November 17, 2020, 03:06 AM.

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          The last two times I made gumbo I used Paul Prudhomme's method: season, flour, and brown the chicken then build your roux from the frying oil with the flour bits from the chicken. He also does multiple seasoning and trinity additions during the cook to layer on the flavors: https://youtu.be/M5XXU47q9js It is good but your method is just as good I think.

I still think your authentic Texas clam chowder with beets is your crowning achievement.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m sure you’re not alone in that assessment.

Thank you for posting it as a recipe. Anyone who has not had homemade gumbo is missing out and recipes like this are hard to come by for free. Your dedication to the roux is what is important. If you are following this recipe, pay close attention to that detail. It is very important and could not be described any better. It is what will make your gumbo. The rest of the filling is preferential.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks tbob4 That was very nice and heartwarming. Damn you! Now I’m gonna start crying again.

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Try rum with your Coke this time and I'll bet it works.

on my list now ..... ordered andouille sausage from my local butcher shop .... maybe this weekend.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey ecowper Can you believe tbob4 does gumbo in a crock pot? Should we say something or just keep quiet? Kidding!
          Last edited by Panhead John; November 17, 2020, 07:28 PM.

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          No Panhead John. Gumbo day 1, Jambalaya in a crockpot with leftover Gumbo. Get the facts before smearing my good name... Actually, my name stinks and it has already been smeared. HA

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          😂 Just messing with ya.
          Last edited by Panhead John; December 15, 2020, 01:06 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here