Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 26, Summer 2022

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ever humble but underestimated Scrambled eggs

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220628_230620524~2.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	1246762

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      those are the perfect I rarely achieve

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs beat some soft butter into your raw eggs, low heat, patience. Let the eggs finish cooking on the serving plate

Smoked beef shanks.

Name:	98AA5ADA-5D29-46C2-A458-BC06389884A0.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	1246800

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh!
      Em!
      Gee!

Common sense tells me what you did there, but if you wanted to share…… 🙌🏼

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Just BBBR and 225F for about 8 hours than crutched and pushed to 275F to finish.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful!
      K.

I proudly present my ONLY July 4th weekend cook. Beef Burria Tacos!

Recently, a Facebook friend who is out of state, tagged me in a post with a food truck video of barria quesadillas being made, and I promised to make them if he ever comes to town. Fast forward to last weekend, and I went to the movies, then to a new Mexican restaurant called "Mr. Naked Taco", where I saw a barria quesadilla on the menu, and had it. BEST. FOOD. EVER.

This past week, I googled various barria recipes, and settled on one by Sam the Cooking Guy:

Beef Birria Tacos — SAM THE COOKING GUY

I got the dried peppers I needed off Amazon, and got 3 pounds of chuck roast (boneless short rib is a LOT more expensive) at the store, and made it today. BEST. TACOS. EVER!

To keep heat out of the kitchen, I did all the prep work in the kitchen, but using my CI dutch oven, and used the SNS Kamado as my oven at 350, to keep the heat out of the kitchen on a 93F day in Alabama.

Name:	IMG_9074.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	1246856

The Camp Chef FTG900 got pulled into service for making the actual tacos. Dip the tortilla in the broth/grease/liquid in the pot with the meat, drop it on the hot griddle, fill it with shredded meat, drop some cheese. Magic happening here!

Name:	IMG_9086.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	1246859

​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9093.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1246858

Name:	IMG_9102.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	1246857

Had rice and beans, and topped with some chopped cilantro and onion.

Name:	IMG_9099.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	1246855 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9098.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	1246854

I also made some queso with taco meat stirred in, and it was a hit for the kids that shared our July 4th lunch...

Comment

• Towering Inferno
      Towering Inferno commented
      Editing a comment
      Holy you know what! I am going to copy this. I watch Sam the cooking guy too. Mouth is watering here.

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      I watched that video maybe two weeks ago and vowed I would make them. Thanks for sharing.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice work!

K.

I decided to smoke some chuck roasts yesterday. I initially thought about doing them on the Chimp given how well that did for my brisket a few weeks ago, but then realized that these 2.6 lbs chuck roasts were not going to take all night, so elected to do them on the PBC.

Here they are all seasoned up with Meat Church's Holy Cow rub, a Texas style rub that I love on all things beef. I wish I had gotten a photo of these pre-rub as these USDA Prime roasts were quite well marbled.

Name:	IMG-5940.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	1246901

Smoking away....

Name:	IMG-5952.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	1246900

The roasts got to 160 F and stalled out by two hours in the cook. I thought about wrapping in butchers paper, but I still had a long way to go until dinnertime so I elected to just power through the stall. The PBC was running its normal 260-280 F with three holes plugged. (I have a serious lid leak I need to address.) I used cherry and hickory chunks, two of each.

And I did have my first cooking through torrential rain! We had a ten-minute thunderstorm come out of no where as they often do in Texas Gulf Coast afternoons. Something really weird happened. The internal temp of the PBC plunged from 280 to 240 F. I feared that water, which had pooled up on the lid, had seeped inside and doused the coals, but that didn't appear to have happened. When I had soaked up the water after the rain stopped, I removed some of the plugs, the temp started to climb again. The rainwater must have acted like a heat sink or something.

I wish I had a photo of me standing outside in this heavy downpour holding an umbrella over my PBC while I am getting absolutely soaked.

In any case, I pulled the roasts at six hours when they hit 205 internal and were probe temperature.

As a consequence of powering through the stall, the bark was dark, positively meteoritic. It's also astonishing how much these thing shrink over a cook!

Name:	IMG-5954.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	1246899

I then wrapped them in butchers paper and let them rest in a cooler for one hour.

Here is one sliced up:

Name:	IMG-5956.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	1246898

The meat was essentially at the pull stage and a bit beyond the sliced stage and was quite good. Very nice smoke flavor and I loved the bark. I think when I do these again, I'll pull them at 190 F instead (if they are probe tender).

Here we are plated up with some potato salad, pickled onions, and lemon-garlic grilled asparagus.

Name:	IMG-5958.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1246897

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      ..., ..., ...!

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Good save! Gulf Coast downpours can get very exciting!

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks fabulous. On my Chuck cooks I loose 50% of weight almost always.

Hey! I did my first tri-tip today. I recently got a bundle of 3 from Creekstone, and this one was a bit over1.5 lb/680g. Fortunately the grain was very apparent, and fairly uniform across the cut, so it was easy to slice against the grain.

Dry brined overnight, then dusted in black pepper and granulated garlic, ran it in the sous vide at 131F/55C for a little under 10 hours. Then seared it on ripping hot GrillGrates, flat side up, for about 1.5 minutes per side cumulative via Just Keep Flipping. Served with our house black bean charro (replete with bacon I smoked up this morning) and some steamed zucchini, with a 2017 Amici cabernet out of Napa Valley.

Really loved this! Super tender and juicy, and a very deep, rich beefiness. I absolutely see what all the hubbub is about when it comes to this cut. Very glad I have two more! I'll do one via 2-zone reverse sear on the grill, and the other with the low-T stage done in the smoker before searing. For SCIENCE.

Name:	20220703_090830.jpg
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	1246906
    The always-appetizing post-sous vide pallor:

Name:	20220703_180039.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	1246904
    Post-sear, and the grain is very easy to see, nicely uniform too.

Name:	20220703_181138.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	1246903

Name:	20220703_181507.jpg
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1246905
    Sadly, I did not get the charro in the shot, just the side of the bowl. Just picture a dollop of dark, rich, smoky, bacony beanitude up there.

Name:	20220703_181745.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1246907

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      DaveD I would contact them and complain. At a minimum they overcharged you by $11 looking at their price on the two different cuts of meat. And, I typically prepare a flank steak differently than I would a tri-tip.

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      Just opened up a thread in Beef Discussion to track this saga: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-tip-got-flank

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      It's faux Tri-tip 😂

Second cook on the Bronco Pro. Started with fresh charcoal, a mix of B&B briquettes and lump, oak, with apple wood chunks. This time I was able to control the temp, not just trying to eak out enough heat to finish the cook. Pork loin with apple juice injected, rubbed with MMD. Warmup for tomorrows ribs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220703_231547195.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.79 MB ID:	1246936

Name:	image_180124.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	1246937
    Last edited by Bogy; July 3, 2022, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Dang Bogy , looks good!

• MsTwiggy
      MsTwiggy commented
      Editing a comment
      Good lookin' loin 🔥🔥🔥❤️🐿💯

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      OJB! OJB!

Some Homemade Tacos Al Pastor. I couldn't get pics of final plate as I had a hungry crowd. Basically served with cilantro, pickled red onions, queso fresco, and pico de gallo. Pinto beans on the side.

I smoked on the WSM for about 3 hours and finished it off on the 22" kettle with the Weber charcoal baskets each side with high heat to get a little char. After I cut off the outer layer I placed back into the kettle for 5 minutes or so. It took 3 times to finish completely.

For the vertical spit I re purposed the holder from a turkey fryer that I used once in 20 years. I cut off one of the spikes and shortened it by 2.5" so it would fit in the WSM and Kettle.

I have been wanting to do this cook for a very long time. I finally did it and I am very happy with the results.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6838.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.65 MB ID:	1246992 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6836.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.64 MB ID:	1246993 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6841.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.76 MB ID:	1246991 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6840.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.94 MB ID:	1246994
    Last edited by troymeister; July 3, 2022, 09:17 PM.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Well played.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I really like that

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      You just can't beat that.

We are house sitting on the continental divide. My pit has a Weber Spirit and I’m getting to know it!
    Attached Files

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack So far, I’m impressed with that lil Spirit!

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you considered flipping those grates around? The flat side gets more contact with the steak. That thin side makes more sense for fish or other delicate things.

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack good idea! I will try it! Having fish tonight so will wait till tomorrow 😁

So this is actually last weekends cook. Cooked a prime brisket. I had separated the flat from the point and originally planned to cook on my weber. But when the time came I realized there wasn't enough room. So i cooked the flat on the kettle and the point in my PBC. I wanted to inject them with tallow from the fat i had trimmed off of it but my syringe didn't arrive as expected and so no injection. I only had a two probe thermoworks smoke setup and so that went in the flat on the weber. The point cooked to very tender at 190 in 4 hours on the PBC. I rubbed it with meatheads BBBR recipe. The flat i cooked for 10 hours and followed ecowper beef rub recipe on it. Because the point was done at 9 am and the flat was done at 2pm they both spent time in a cambro but I was pretty off on my timing and so we ate point sandwiches for lunch and flat for dinner. All in all I got lucky with this cook. My plan was off for timing and I didn't consider the space I would need. If i had a second rack for my weber i could have pulled it off all in the kettle and that would have been preferable. The point by itself was small enough that the PBC was overkill especially without the benefit of a temp probe. Although the point was very tender the first few slices I cut with the grain and then realized my mistake. Sadly about half the point was very overdone and i could barely slice it with my carbon steel knife. So it was saved to season some beans at a later date. The flat was terrific. We all loved Eric's rub. We ate it as sandwiches and later tacos, finishing it off with a side of greens. It was a fun cook, i learned a lot. And they were the best brisket to date but definitely room for improvement.
    Attached Files

Comment

• troymeister
      troymeister commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks Damn good to me!!

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      That sammich looks great

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Outstanding!

Grilled swordfish with caper sauce on tomato risotto.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220704_020126245.jpg Views:	29 Size:	4.69 MB ID:	1247089
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220704_020919938.jpg Views:	28 Size:	2.28 MB ID:	1247090
    Last edited by theroc; July 4, 2022, 08:15 AM. Reason: Carpet = caper!

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      SheilaAnn - It's best to make carpet sauce right after ya spill something on the carpet. Trim the wet area, put in a pot, add whatever liquid ingredients ya like, and simmer for several hours.

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB - darn autocorrect!

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Rosemary and cheddar scones.

Name:	F21DA755-0AF2-49EA-A216-1F460BA1B2A3.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	1247170

Comment

Nothing says Fourth of July in Texas more than brisket on the smoker! Happy and safe 4th to everyone! Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket 2022-07-04.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1247201

Comment

Thanks Panhead. Looks like it's all ribs over there.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Brisket is great to post also, it’s not limited to ribs. Post away my friend!

St. Louis style ribs on the smoker today. Trying the Traeger 3-2-1 Recipe. Keeping notes in the Smoke and Fire Journal I started. Drinking a Bloody Mary and sitting on the patio with the love of my life, my wife! Life is good!
      Attached Files

Comment

Finally got to use my baking steel for more than bread. The southwest steak and guac pizza was the favorite
        Attached Files

Comment

• DTro
          DTro commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice pizza!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here