Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ordered tri tip, got flank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ordered tri tip, got flank?

Hey folks, yesterday did what I had purchased as a tri tip from Creekstone, and I posted my quite delicious result over in SUWYC. Sharp eyed readers jfmorris and Red Man pointed out that (as I had fleetingly suspected before dismissing it as my ignorance) the cut sure looks more like flank steak than tri tip. I'd never laid eyes on a tri tip before, and it's been a lot of years since I last did a flank steak, so I figured Creekstone knew what they were doing...

Got them from this link at Creekstone when they were on special last month: https://shop.creekstonefarms.com/pro...-prime-tri-tip

My process yesterday was sous vide for ten hours and then a ripping hot sear. It was fantastic and didn't taste much like any flank I've had - but to be fair, we have made it as a teriyaki-marinaded thing forever and hence the meat flavor would have been masked for sure.

I wrote to Creekstone's customer service this morning, so we'll see what they say. I sent them these pics in the email in describing the situation. Note that none of the three packages has any kind of label or sticker on it. The plastic packaging does have USDA Prime and the Creekstone logo on it as usual.

And to be clear, we're not the least bit unhappy in how our meal came out yesterday, it was fabulous. But if this stuff really is just flank then I have some recompense coming my way, I should think...

The three cuts when they arrived several weeks ago (yesterday's was the smaller one, upper right):
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220624_203040.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.05 MB ID:	1247227

Brined, seared, sliced.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220702_185801.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.03 MB ID:	1247230
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220703_181138.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.34 MB ID:	1247228
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220703_181507.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.47 MB ID:	1247229
    Last edited by DaveD; July 4, 2022, 08:28 AM.

That's flank. And I really like flank marinated aggressively, then reverse seared or seared then finished indirect. Never tried SV.... will have to give it a shot.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep - heartily agree with this. I always marinade my flank steak, and while we sometimes eat it straight up, more often its for fajitas or tacos.

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely flank. Good meat, but definitely flank.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      It also makes fantastic jerkey

I thought it was an odd looking tritip to, but I’m no expert

Comment

You shouldn’t have any problem convincing Creekstone you got flank. Those pictures are pretty clear.

Comment

I would give Creekstonefarms feedback just for quality control. Let us know what they say.
        The steak looks cooked to perfection.

Comment

Here's what I wrote to Creekstone this morning:

I recently ordered a 3 pack of USDA prime tri tip roasts in the order in the subject line. This was my first time seeing a tri tip, so I have no prior experience with them.

Yesterday I cooked the first of these three, via sous vide for ten hours and then a ripping hot sear. It was absolutely delicious. I am a member of the AmazingRibs.com Pitmaster forum, and when I posted photos of this cook, several very experienced and knowledgeable members asserted that the cut is not tri tip but flank steak. It's been years since I did one of those, and it does look like one in hindsight, but again I lack direct experience. But the guys on this forum have it in abundance. I've also never done such a long sous vide before, with any cut, so there's a data gap there too. And as I say, it came out fantastic, no complaints at all there.

I attach for your inspection a set of photos of the three cuts I received in my order (none of which is labeled btw) and of yesterday's piece before and after cooking. I would be interested in your take.
          Will report back on their response. I've never had reason to reach out to their customer service before this, FWIW.

Comment

No question the one in the glass dish is a flank, probably the upper left one in the cryo-wrapped packages.(?) A tri tip should be shaped similar to a boomerang, which the other two cry packs might be since they currently are somewhat triangular. Another tell is the muscle grain, straight line, as it should be, on the flank from end to end. The third pic on the Creekstone site is representative of a tritip with the grain running side ways until it hits the "crotch" of the triangle, then the grain runs off at roughly 45 degrees to that, as it should.

Comment

• DaveD
              DaveD commented
              Editing a comment
              Nope, as captioned, the one from yesterday is in the upper right of that first photo. Other two still in the chestie.

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              The other two are definitely folded flanks. That’s how Creekstone sends them.

We purchased flanks from Creekstone Farms recently and that is exactly what they look like. Hopefully they make it right.

Comment

I expected when I opened this topic for it to say SRF, they sadly seem to be known for shipping the wrong things or misshapen/undersized things. Creektone is much less known for this. I 100% trust they will do right by you.

Comment

A couple-three years back, a friend ordered a strip loin from them and got a huge brisket, huge like 22lbs. They sent him a strip loin and told him to keep the brisket. He gave it to me and I cooked it up and took it to work on a Saturday. Best damn brisket I ever cooked.

Comment

Update: Creekstone got back to me today to say yup, those are clearly flank steaks alright. Then a somewhat cryptic sentence in which I think either a word is missing or some other typo, because the next sentence is "Happy to work either of those options for you," but I don't see how there are two options in what was written...! Anyway, I wrote back asking for clarification, but this is all a good sign, I'm sure they'll do right. Stay tuned.

Comment

• Mosca
                    Mosca commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It’s going to be either refund, or ship tri tips, because that’s how Creekstone rolls.

Yep, they promptly refunded me the price difference once we got the garbled comms resolved. Now I'll order tri tip and hope I actually get it!

EDIT: Looks like the tri tip will have to wait. I really can't swing enough other stuff they currently have available to get me over the free shipping threshold, because at the moment only higher-priced bundles and packages are in stock. That's fine, it'll keep.
                  Last edited by DaveD; July 6, 2022, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• Mosca
                    Mosca commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Their flank steaks are excellent, too!

• DaveD
                    DaveD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The one I made the other day was fantastic!

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I bet you if you asked it since it's a re-shipment they'd probably credit you the shipping.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here