Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome to the First Annual E. Pluribus Unum: Fourth of July Cook!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the First Annual E. Pluribus Unum: Fourth of July Cook!

Let's get the Smoke Rollin' Folks! We want to see those rib and appetizers you are smoking up for the Fourth of July and Canada Day.

Nuts and Bolts
    1) Do a rib and/or appetizer cook anytime during the weekend.
    2) Take some photos of your cook and festivities.
    3) Post them here!

Let's see what you have folks. I hope everyone has a fun and safe holiday.

Click image for larger version  Name:	71TfATDAd-L._AC_SX355_.jpg Views:	2 Size:	28.4 KB ID:	1245572
    Note:
    *This is for everyone, not just those of us in the United States of America. Especially with Canada Day being on July 1st.
    * It is just fine if you are not making ribs or apps, we would still love to see what you come up with for the holiday.

*A Special thanks to Panhead John and Steve B for getting the ball rolling on this idea!

Well, guess I’m first up. Early SVQ ribs going to a helpful neighbor. They’re leaving for a holiday weekend at the coast.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3190A9AE-E600-4197-BBC4-36D4F12EF0EE.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	1245670 Click image for larger version

Name:	18F4BC6D-AB0C-4CD8-91EA-0DB9E49A2B46.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	1245671 hi

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Those look great. Your neighbor is gonna love em.

• TheAmazingJohnJ
      TheAmazingJohnJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Lookin' good!

Dang, thought I was gonna be First in! Texas Larry ninja'd me!

It's another Grudge Match! Two racks of SLC spares, one from Wild Fork (their "aged pork" standard), the other from Creekstone (Duroc). Dry brined 'em overnight, rubbed them up with Central BBQ Rib Rub, and put them in the vertical p-smoker on the low-T "SMOKE" setting for the first 45 minutes. Just now bumped it up to 250F/121C for the remainder. The WF rack was just thick enough on one end to get a wired probe in there, but I'm going to take those temps with a grain of salt - likely to be artificially high from being too near bone. But it's at least a reasonable indicator.

Probe temp had reached 100F/38C by the time I raised the SP from SMOKE to 250/121.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220630_144024.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.21 MB ID:	1245675
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220701_123335.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.32 MB ID:	1245677
    In on SMOKE:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220701_123918.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.74 MB ID:	1245674
    45 min later, bumped up the SP:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220701_133014.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.98 MB ID:	1245676

And they're off...!

Comment

Cheating because i did these yesterday. Kurobuta ribs with Payne Country Rust rub. Grilla OG 250 degrees till done. Spritzed with very watered down OJ

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0755.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.69 MB ID:	1245707
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0756.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.33 MB ID:	1245706

Comment

• TheAmazingJohnJ
        Editing a comment
        That's some fine looking bark!

• Sid P
        Sid P commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful!

• BillyHo
        BillyHo commented
        Editing a comment
        Well done - do you deliver???

I pulled a briskie fr the hot tub yesterday. Three hours on the grill in the PBC! Fabulous!
      put a shoulder in when I pulled the bris. It will get seasoned n chilled Saturday night then on the PBC Sunday morning. I have four racks of baby backs I am going to try out my new rack rotisserie. We used to just do burgers n brats n dogs. This year will be quite special. Maybe 30 people?

Comment

• Alan Brice
        Alan Brice commented
        Editing a comment
        Smoke is rollin on the wibs. They were in the hot tub 20+hours. Shoulder Sous vide after briskie came out. Meatheads pork rub on both. Pics to follow.

These babies smell AMAZING. Wish I could post that!

T+2 (IT 163F/73C) and T+3 (176F/80C) hours in:

Name:	20220701_143549.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	1245742

Name:	20220701_152333.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	1245741

Comment

Hey, when buying St. Louise Ribs, how many ribs per person? Cooking for a big group (40 people) and will have sides (salad, beans, sides, etc.). And beer. Two ribs per person enough or does it take more than that? Thanks and have fun!

Comment

• RichieB
          RichieB commented
          Editing a comment
          kan yoz guz take dishere Englsh lesun somwhr else? thnks.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          RichieB Oh, for a minute there I thought you were bbqLuv

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John
          Please recommend to me a coffee grinder like the one in your avatar,

Happy Canada day, we cooked st. Louis cut ribs today on the Traeger and they turned out good. When I picked up the ribs at Costco I did not notice that they were sliced into strips and we liked them that way. I dry brined them yesterday, coated with mustard and MD rub today and I used the 3-2-1 cooking method. I finished with some coffee flavoured bbq sauce that I got the recipe from this site. Ribs are one of my favourite things to cook. I also cooked/smoked some side pork as well today as a bit of a snack.

Name:	A94324E2-972E-4FCB-986F-8165C803DFBA.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	1245858 Click image for larger version

Name:	E7C76FF1-96E0-4B2A-BFB5-E691C8ED80CB.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	1245859

Comment

• TheAmazingJohnJ
          Editing a comment
          I've never seen ribs cut like that. Looks like they turned out well.

• Argoboy
          Argoboy commented
          Editing a comment
          First time for me as well, package said sliced ribs.p 1.8 kg. We would buy them again. I think they could be cooked faster like this.

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like pork spare ribs meets "fat" kalbi cut (or flanken). Or fat rib tips. Who cares how they are cut, they look delicious!

Grudge Match results: a flat draw. Both of these racks were just wonderful, juicy and tender (the Wild Fork wins on juiciness), just really hard to find some reason to pick one over the other. What a great problem to have! But it has just one answer: "Yes, please."

Things started to probe real tender like, and they got very bendy after about 5 hours, so off they came. Rested about 10 minutes tented in foil on the counter while the sides did their thang, sliced and served. Super yummy. Lots left over too...

Name:	20220701_170132.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	1245874

Name:	20220701_173652.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	1245876

Name:	20220701_174339.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	1245873

Name:	20220701_174544.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	1245875

Name:	20220701_175008.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	1245872

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice job. They look great.
          Looks like you went dry, no sauce right?

• DaveD
          DaveD commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup! Sauce on the side (Rudy's).

Hi all hope you have a great weekend. I did a modest cook today. Weather Saturday is not promising. Sunday I'm outta here to Cape Cod for the better part of the week. So one of my favorite, Country Style Pork Ribs on PBJ. Meathead's Pork Rub (damm autocorrect). Stubbs Hickory Sauce with OJ. Hickory chunks. Accompanied with grilled glazed baby carrots.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220701_151020.jpg Views:	57 Size:	171.6 KB ID:	1245952 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220701_161654.jpg Views:	53 Size:	96.0 KB ID:	1245953 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220701_164641.jpg Views:	53 Size:	176.7 KB ID:	1245954 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220701_185049.jpg Views:	53 Size:	91.7 KB ID:	1245955
        Last edited by RichieB; July 2, 2022, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Getting an early start on the 4th. I am helping with a fund raiser for one of the local volunteer fire dept to raise money for equipment. Here are the first of 150 racks of ribs to be rubbed. Not pictured are 12 briskets, 12 pork butts, and 50lbs of sausage. I think Bubba can handle it..

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ribs.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.32 MB ID:	1246152 Click image for larger version  Name:	bubba.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.35 MB ID:	1246153

Comment

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            That many racks of ribs at today's prices should be under armed guard.

• WayneT
            WayneT commented
            Editing a comment
            Was that salvaged from the Wreck of the Ol’ 97? It’s humongous! Lotta great cooks coming from that thing.

• BillyHo
            BillyHo commented
            Editing a comment
            WOW!! sounds like a great day for a great cause. That is some rig...

Even though I did this a few days ago, I intended this to be a Fourth of July cook. This was my first time doing Texas-style ribs; that is whole spare ribs seasoned up with salt, pepper, and just a little bit of garlic and no sauce. (I used Meat Church's Holy Cow rub, which is very much a Texas-style rub.)

When I posted this in SUWYC, I remarked that I preferred more Kansas City-style ribs. However, my opinion has changed. As I ate through these two racks, I found I really liked the seasoning. Simple, straight-forward, and no pretense.

I also realized something striking: with such a simple sub, the quality of the meat will be blatantly obvious. I used cheap, commodity ribs. While the meat was good, it was lackluster. I am very much itching to try these again with some heritage pork.

Also, this was my first time using whole spare ribs; I typically buy St. Louis cut. There is so much more meat here! And it is less expensive per pound! I am never buying St. Louis cut ribs again. If I ever want that cut, I'll just cut it myself. It's so easy!

Ribs all dusted up and hooks in (doubled-hooked, of course; you only lose a rack to a single-hook fall-off once).

Name:	IMG-5921.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	1246186

Let's get some smoke on. I used hickory and cherrywood. And that PBC is a rib machine!

Name:	IMG-5922.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	1246185

Bonus shot of cat and smoker.

Name:	IMG-5924.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1246184

With the PBC, I know my ribs will be essentially probe-tender at 3 hours, no wrap. (The PBC is a very moist cooking environment.) So at hour 2, I put in some corn. You can see it in the hanger that has joined the ribs.

Name:	IMG-5929.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1246188

Done! Bark is barky.

Name:	IMG-5930.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	1246190

Happiness.

Name:	IMG-5931.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1246189

All plated up!

Name:	IMG-5932.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1246187

Comment

• RichieB
            RichieB commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful cook. Where did you get that caddy for the PBC? Thanks

• Michael_in_TX
            Michael_in_TX commented
            Editing a comment
            RichieB why Amazon, of course. Just search for 30 gallon drum dolly.

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Very nice. I could eat my screen right now they look that good.

Getting the prep work in the books. And a small shot of the black bean dip I threw together. Click image for larger version

Name:	2D504E51-E302-4C78-A724-AEAB467BAECF.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	1246290 Click image for larger version

Name:	64BE8D95-A843-483B-BA24-C2BAAAAFF19F.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1246289

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Answer your door! I was hiding in the bushes then a neighbor saw me.

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            Panhead John
            There he goes again

My second (and probably last) installment for the rib-fest weekend: Creekstone chuck ribs. Dry brined in a little salt and Spiceology Expresso Chile rub. On the Grilla OG at 250 with the Kirkland pellets that recently showed up in Costco. Total cook time around 6 hours.

Name:	IMG_5926.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1246336

Name:	IMG_5929.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1246337

Comment

• Jfrosty27
            Jfrosty27 commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful. Any thoughts on those pellets?

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            Jfrosty27 nothing to write home about good or bad. got decent smoke from them, burned at what i would call a good to average rate, havent checked the ash yet since i probably wont clean it out until tomorrow. Pretty regular and consistent in length. All in all id buy them again at the price.

• Draznnl
            Draznnl commented
            Editing a comment
            That top shot is money. Congrats to you on a nice cook and to your wife on a great shot.

The first set of 3 racks. Stl, modified Meathead's Memphis Dust l.
          Attached Files

Comment

• gboss
            gboss commented
            Editing a comment
            Sid P it's an Akorn.

• MsTwiggy
            MsTwiggy commented
            Editing a comment
            I like your rib rack, ribs look fantastic!!

• gboss
            gboss commented
            Editing a comment
            MsTwiggy thanks! I have a love/hate relationship with the rib rack though. It's great for fitting 3 racks in the Akorn, but it is such a pain to clean...

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here