Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC)- Volume 21, Spring 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

St Louis ribs with Memphis dust rub on my cheapo brinkman smoker. Used cherry wood chunks. No crutch and basted it hourly with some Carolina dip. I tell you what it cranks out some great tasting ribs
    Attached Files

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      My first water smoker was a Brinkmanship. As well as my second. And third, I wore them out.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Not bad, not bad at all !! Just goes to show, it ain't the cooker but the cookie !!

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      I’d eat that! 🕶

Easy cooking wings on the gasser..
    Rubbed n' ready Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20210320-WA0001.jpeg Views:	21 Size:	2.80 MB ID:	1006581 Grilling
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210320_185802.jpg Views:	22 Size:	2.42 MB ID:	1006583 Wings served..
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20210320-WA0003.jpeg Views:	22 Size:	2.45 MB ID:	1006582
    Last edited by Elton's BBQ; March 21, 2021, 08:19 AM. Reason: Autocorrect fubar

Comment

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm thinking several more of those Heineken's got consumed before cooking the "ribs".

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Jim White it was Wings not ribs as first typed.. I was the victim of autocorrect fubar..
      Last edited by Elton's BBQ; March 21, 2021, 08:24 AM. Reason: Autocorrect fubar

I did a corned bottom round in the smoker yesterday. Soaked it in a pot of cold water for about 4 hrs. changing the water once. I rubbed it with Gulden's spicey brown mustard and my personal rub. Smoked it using hickory until the temp reached approximately 170 deg. Wrapped it with a little beef broth and finished it in the oven until it reached 198 deg. Carry over brought it to 202 deg. It was very tender but this is a lean cut of meat. It seemed to tighten up quickly as it cooled so you definitely needed a juice to serve over it but all in all a good cook. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210320_210352.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	1006600

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks really nice!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Really nice !!!

Brisket. She is still cooking now. Almost done.
    Attached Files

Comment

Yesterday I tried my rotisserie attachment on my kettle. Two chickens dry brine for 5 hours, then seasoned with some poultry rub and blackened rub from Cabelas. First time doing rotisserie. It came out great.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Jfrosty27 When I’ve done rotisserie chicken, it takes about 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

• Tmorrison80
        Tmorrison80 commented
        Editing a comment
        Jfrosty27 I lost track of time really. 🥃🥃 but it was probably close to 1.5 hours.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s amazing how much these emojis interfere with our cooking🥃🥃🥃

Tourney ribs.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	D6A5DC3C-F62F-4D30-8FFA-DE99C2173980.jpeg
Views:	693
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	1006774

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I don’t recall you ringing my Telly Phone.

I know how much you guys love it when I brag about my HEB, but I gotta give a continued shout out to their Berkshire pork tomahawk chops. They have these all the time and they are totally awesome!! I dread the day they quit carrying these, I buy them 8 or 12 at a time.

Anyhow, this batch was massive, well over a pound each. Check out the insane marbling;

Name:	berk chop 03.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	1006796Click image for larger version

Name:	berk chop 01.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1006795Click image for larger version

Name:	berk chop 02.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	1006797

Cooked them using live fire on my Gabby's grill. Grilled them using oak splits in a bed of coals, love the way the fire kisses them to a perfect sear. Basted with Woody's and Italian Dressing, they came out tender and juicy. Served them with a Dijon Cream sauce, a vinaigrette salad and some corn. One chop was all I needed to be satisfied !!

Name:	berk chop 06.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	1006798Click image for larger version

Name:	berk chop 07.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	1006799

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman Regarding my post elsewhere on front vs reverse sears, etc: Were these chops done over the coals/wood splits the whole way? Flip frequently? Did you start cold, or bring to room temp first? (Sifu, many questions from 'Grasshopper')

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Dr. Pepper These were done using old fashion grilling on my Gabby's grill with splits all the way. Combination of raising and lowering the grate as well as frequent flipping. I also mopped these continuously. Been doing chops and steaks that way for years before all this front/rear sear stuff emerged. Just gotta stay with them.

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh man!
        This was Grand!

Was a busy day.
      2 birds
      Poterhouse and Rib eye
      Boerewors
      2 x 1Kg pork bellies for burnt ends

Name:	20210321_144420.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	1006826

Name:	20210321_173334.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	1006827

Name:	20210321_173619.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	1006828

Comment

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful color and perfectly done!!

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed, color is outstanding

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks fantastic!

OK, I was a bad Irishman on the 17th and did nothing. Decided to wait until this weekend.

Yesterday I cooked 13.33# of corned beef (3 points). Before the 17th they were $2.66/#. The flats were more expensive. The 18th I picked up an extra point for $1.99/#. Can’t beat that price. I trimmed off 3# 10oz of fat (27%).

Added some extra pickling spice and at the end, also added carrots, turnips, rhudibega and parsnips, as I usually do. Not sure I’ll add these anymore, not getting much enjoyment from them.

Pretty standard, so no pics. So I’ll just say that cooked corned beef magically showed up this morning.

This morning, I tried the corned beef hash in Tested Recipes. I LOVE corned beef hash. I have it everyplace I go that offers it. Of all that I have sampled, only two places stood out, so I am very picky. I admit that, to be politically correct, when it comes to corned beef hash, I have SIGNIFICANT inherent biases.

Bottom line first. It was good and I have saved the leftovers for future consumption.

Here are my thoughts on what I would do differently if there is a next time.

I got sloppy with my dicing. For ME, all the ingredients need to be brunoised size (thank you, HouseHomey !). I’d use less liquid as I had to lift the lid to cook off excessive liquid, and increase the ratio of corned beef to other ingredients and add pepper when plated.

First pic is the hash in the CI pot after I removed the eggs and smoothed out the hash (forgot to take the pic with the eggs in). The second is an example of unfortunate plating!

I LOVE a bit of a crust on top, so I took some out of the ci pot, made a small loaf and put it under the broiler while I poached an egg. Last pic.

Better!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by richinlbrg; March 21, 2021, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        I’d eat that. All day! Go easy on yourself, a small dice will work just fine.

Had some leftover oxtail in the freezer. Well, that's a great excuse to make pasta.....

Name:	PXL_20210321_184134059.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	1006867

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Ernest Beautiful, as usual! Did you braise the short ribs? Smoke em? Throw em raw into the finished pasta as you were plating?

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Dr. Pepper braised the oxtail in red wine. Brown the tails, Standard onion, celery and carrots. Thyme and bay leaf, ad wine and beef stock. In the oven until tender.

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks awesome!

Cheese steak a la Kent Rollins: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...s-cheese-steak

One 1 1/2 lb A bar N wagyu skirt steak. Rubbed with lime juice, dusted with Adolph's tenderizer, and lightly seasoned with Salt Grass 7. Into a ziplock and into the fridge overnight.

Name:	cheese_steak1.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	1006877
      Onto the PK Grill

Name:	cheese_steak2.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	1006881

Gettin' some color

Name:	cheese_steak3.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	1006879

Medium rare - color doesn't show very well

Name:	cheese_steak4.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	1006880

Yum! I added a Hatch chili to the cheese sauce.

Name:	cheese_steak5.jpg
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	1006878

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow very cool, except I kept expecting tacos at the end

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        Some of this skirt will probably end up as tacos. There is still a lot left.

I know this is a little late but we had out of state guests for the first time in gosh knows how long. Everyone was vaccinated and with a last name of Kelly, belayed corned beef for a few days. I did Clint Cantwell's sous vide pastrami and I may not cook brisket any other way again. This was the best I have ever had. Thanks guys.
      Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great!

First turkey on the PBC! Click image for larger version

Name:	20210321_123552.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	1006890Click image for larger version

Name:	20210321_124915.jpg
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	1006891Click image for larger version

Name:	20210321_125433.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	1006892Click image for larger version

Name:	20210321_125931.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	1006893

Comment

the 22 weber i bought at wally world i finally got up and running..made several mods/ash catcher/front handle/add a temp gauge/vent handle..and the Arteflame
        cooked bourbon rib eyes/sweet potatoes in lime and spice honey/roasted garlic /and stuffed tomatoes..and a butter onion

held the temp excellent...i was impressed with it...cooked over fogo lump
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by baconator_17 View Post
          Brisket. She is still cooking now. Almost done.
          Turned out fantastic.
          Attached Files

Comment

• treesmacker
            treesmacker commented
            Editing a comment
            Sure enough!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here