Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Pulled Pork Dilemma - What Do You Do With All That Meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe make some Pig shots? Folks are drooling over these tidbits here -- https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...103-pig-shots/

I make and freeze packages of carnitas for quick suppers. Here's one way I use the meat --

Chicken (or Pork), Bean, and Tortilla Soup
    Makes about 4 quarts
    2 TBL bacon fat or oil
    1 medium onion, diced
    1 cup sweet pepper, green and red mixed, diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2-3 tsp mild chili powder
    2-3 tsp ancho chili pepper powder OR 2 diced jalapenos for more heat
    1-2 tsp cumin

32 to 40 oz chicken broth OR water + chicken bouillon per directions on package
    One 14.5-oz can Rotel tomatoes with chilies, mild, OR plain diced tomatoes
    One 14.5 oz can black beans, rinsed, drained
    One 14.5 oz can pinto beans, rinsed, drained
    1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen sweet corn OR one 15 oz can sweet corn

4-6 uncooked chicken thighs OR 3 uncooked chicken breasts OR similar amount of cooked chicken or pork

1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, rough chopped
    Juice of 1/2 lime or to taste.
    1/4 avocado, sliced, per person
    1/4 cup shredded Monterrey cheese OR 1 slice queso fresco per person
    Lime wedges. Corn tortilla chips

Heat fat in 4-6 quart pot. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Add chopped sweet pepper, garlic, and spices. Cook another few minutes.

Pour the chicken broth, tomatoes, beans, and corn into the pot and bring to a simmer for 15-20 minutes. If using uncooked chicken, add chicken to the soup and poach while the soup is simmering until the meat is 165 F in the center. Once chicken is cooked, remove meat from pot, let cool just enough so it can be handled, and remove meat from bones. Shred or dice meat into bite size pieces.

Turn off heat. Stir cooked meat, lime juice, and fresh cilantro into the soup. Let soup sit off-heat for about 5 minutes to warm the meat and cilantro. Add salt to taste. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with cheese and avocado slices. Serve with chips and lime wedges.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks gal, exactly what I’m lookin’ for !! On your next cook snap some pix and share !!!

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm new to this idea of snapping photos of my food -- will try to get myself up to speed on that! With the avocado on top, it's a good lookin' bowl of soup.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      I did pulled pork in some pig shots, filled the "cups" with pulled pork, then topped with some brown sugar and a few drops of Elijah Craig. Serious goodness. Going to do some more tomorrow!

Tamales, I had a deal with a local woman before we moved. I furnished the pork and she would make tamales for 6.00 a dozen. I could eat them until I was about to explode!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea tons of tamales made with shoulder meat. Many times with the head meat (mmm cheeks !!). Good one !!

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      A lady from Guatemala lived in my community for awhile. She could make tamales that would just about float in the air and carry you away to heaven. So tasty and so light. Pulled pork would be amazing in her tamales.

Well, since noone seems to have mentioned it: do you all know how decadent a pulled pork pizza is? Love it!!!

Comment

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Trying to think of something for supper, and I think I could pull this off. Hubby is grocery shopping on his way home and I'll ask him to get some fresh mozzarella. Any preference on the sauce (if any) for a pizza like this -- BBQ sauce or marinara?

Oh, wait, maybe I should make that 2 balls of mozz -- one for the pizza and one to smoke.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, I like to use a marinara sauce, and then put a bottle of bbq sauce on the table. That way you can have both (if you like) :-)

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Henrik! That's a good compromise -- I'll follow your tip. Hubby brought home sushi for supper last night, but he also found the mozzarella. Pizza is on the menu for tonight's dinner and a movie.

How about a pulled pork version of a Philadelphia cheese steak sammich ???

Comment

• AmosMoses01
      AmosMoses01 commented
      Editing a comment
      THAT sounds awesome!!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Lovin this idea, Brother! Would one, then, still use th same cheese/and/or/peppers?
      I could see this concept headin SW, Tex Mex, KC, Memphis, Asian, etc., usw., afore it's all said an done!
      Let's us do that!

BBQ Sammiches are especial great, late at night, to fill that void, before beddy-bye.
      Often experienced, as a somnabulant snack, as well...

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      +++1

How about chili a couple of days later.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea cubed it would be perfect

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, yes -- that's a tasty good call!

I use pull pork in my beans , add it to my chilli , chop it up for
    Quesada , make wraps . and freeze to 1 lb pkgs.

Comment

In addition to many of th previous mentioned, sometimes, I'll jus make a sammich outta some...

Open Face: or jus Regular 'sammich lookin' thingies...

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Sammie’s !!!

Sliced or pulled, I simply freeze it in portions just right for the Mrs. and me. Then, on nights when we need something fast, or neither of us feels like cooking, hello pork butt! We thaw it, heat and do whatever strikes our fancy.

Comment

fan of the nachos myself
        Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful !!!

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Tasty lookin nachos, amigo!

Nothing new here but I agree, omelettes, sammies, tacos, pizza topping,etc, etc, etc. Dude, there's hundreds of things you can do with leftover pulled pork and you seem to be one of the more creative cooks here, I'm sure you'll come up with something that's out of the park.

Hell, if you really can't figure out what to do with it take it to Nonmacher's, they'd probably buy it from you.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I know, I just wanna see the creative ways you guys work with it !!! We actually had a Nonmacher’s down the street...it closed. I think someone put it out of its misery

• ribeyeguy
          ribeyeguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Our daughter lives in Katy and she insisted on taking us there once. I'm glad to hear that they're closed, that was an experience I wouldn't want to repeat.

When cooking a shoulder or brisket and we have serious leftovers we:
        Give some to family or friends
        Make nachos as an appetizer or as a meal.
        Either, pork or brisket, will go well with eggs and breakfast
        Chilli oh so many ways you can be creative with chilli
        Add the chili to your breakfast eggs
        of course there’s the sandwiches and typical dinner leftovers.

Lastly, just experiment and be creative. Try a combo using the shoulder or brisket as a substitute for any other protein you enjoy.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Just did, made pork belly and pork shoulder pho

I fry it up in some oil to crisp it up carnitas style for tacos, make sandwiches, put it on salads and potatoes, and just eat it straight. I love it with Blues Hog Tennessee Red sauce. I top it with slaw too.

i like to vacuum seal it in 1 pound portions as well, as it reheats very well out of the freezer.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          JF you’re alive !! Feeling alright?

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          @Teoutman I’m alive as long as I don’t move it doesn’t hurt! And I gotta hold my phone or iPad at eye level as I cannot look down.

How about a nice spaghetti pulled pork ragu ??

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm all belly up!

No pics, but I'll remedy dat, soon...

Chopped pulled pork Biscuits an gravy...(Hint: use lotsa th bark pieces, fer best results. ) Use th pb drippins, an or bacon grease, too...

Use above gravy fer 'Pigs On a Shingle'©

Chop down smallish, use in yer waffles

Leave us never, in this lifetime, to overlook pulled pork hash

It is most excellent, on a Summer day, (or alla th other days) to enjoy confections that utilize a Home Made, (Optionally French) Vanilla ice cream, with finely chopped/minced pulled pork, incorporated.

Again, at this saturation/recognition level, barky pieces make fer a more recognizable, an memorable end user experience...

Yall did add th bacon grease or pb juices, right?

Comment

• Deaf Arty
          Deaf Arty commented
          Editing a comment
          Whoa! Pulled pork biscuits n' gravy!! Thanks for the idea.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Now that’s the spirit !!!

• RustyHaines
          RustyHaines commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh my, pulled pork biscuits and gravy . Now that sounds wonderful.

Whatever doesn't get modified into a different meal, goes to work for my co-workers to devour.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          The gift that keeps on giving !!!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here