Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Pulled Pork Dilemma - What Do You Do With All That Meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Pulled Pork Dilemma - What Do You Do With All That Meat?

Smoking a pork shoulder to me is like cooking a turkey. It's really good, relatively easy to cook but unless you're feeding an army what the heck do you do with all that leftover meat? It's one reason why I haven't cooked an entire pork butt in over a year. I tend to have the butcher slice them into thick steaks that I cook a lot like pork ribs.

At any rate, Mrs. Trout was wanting to cook something for a friend and I said let's just do some pulled pork, eat some and give the rest away. So I went to the butcher and got a nice 9# hunk. I usually tie mine up so when the connective tissue starts to render the thing doesn't begin to fall apart.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pork butt 01.jpg
Views:	1026
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	630574

After an overnight salt brine, for pork I like to season the Malcolm Reed way in layers. I have a POG mixer I keep that consists of 3 parts coarse ground pepper, 2 part granulated garlic and 1 part granulated onion powder. That gets liberally applied followed by his Killer Hogs BBQ seasoning. I love the color it leaves the meat and promotes a real nice bark....

Name:	pork butt 02.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	630575

I had a lot to do on this particular day and didn't have time to babysit a long cook so I threw it on the pellet cooker at 250* and basically went about my business. Seems like pork butts and pellets are a match made in heaven. It was my intent to let it go full term without wrapping, got it on about 10 am.

Except for checking it twice and giving it a good spritz with apple cider vinegar and orange juice, I did just that, let it go. Here it is at about the 2 hours mark looking good.....

Name:	pork butt 03.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	630576

Unfortunately, as always, it got to be about 8 PM and the sucker was stuck in a proverbial stall at about 183*. It was Sunday night and Troutman needed his sleep so I threw it into an aluminum foil pan with the remaining spritz and covered it up tightly to push through the stall.

That did the trick and about an hour or so later I pulled it at 203*, rested it for an hour or so and tore it apart. It's now midnight and I'm bagging up several pounds to give to friends with droopy eyes and thinking I should have gotten up earlier. So here's the pulled result, came out great ....

Name:	pork butt 04.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	630577

So ho hum, just another pulled pork post. Well I pose the question again, what in the world do you do with all this meat? So let's have some fun. Go ahead and post what you normally do with the stuff, with pix if you have them. For instance, BRic did a cleaver and delicious looking Pork Parfait with some of his, how do you utilize yours ????

Perhaps it's just a simple loaded baked potato ....

Name:	pork butt 08.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	630581

or a little more adventurous with some pulled pork tacos .....

Name:	pork butt 07.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	630579

Name:	pork butt 06.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	630580

...of course there's always that ubiquitous delight, the pulled pork sandwich. Here was my lunch the other day in front of my computer with a heaping pile of veggie slaw....delicious .....

Name:	pork butt 05.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	630578

So come on, show me what you got. Make this a pulled-pork-a-thon, let's have a little fun ..... what do you do with all that meat ???

Troutman Steve is outta here ......

Nachos and quesadillas after frying to give it some crunch. I also put some in my beans.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Randy-Phx; February 1, 2019, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow that is awesome !!!!!

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Did this last night.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I love to put a little crisp on pulled pork.

Squeeze a little orange and lime juice over the top, add some diced onion and peppers, dust with cumin, toss, then either broil until lightly crispy or fry in a little lard. Voila, carnitas.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yum....I love carnitas. Thinking too about doing flautas with my next go round.

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Flautas sound fun.

• tamidw
      tamidw commented
      Editing a comment
      I do carnitas/street tacos a lot with left over pork

I make tacos, carnitas, pork egg rolls. And if it is not gone after that, I take it into my office and it gets devoured rather quickly.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh and how about an omelette ... oh yea !!!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I could get on board with that! Troutman

Last couple of butt cooks were for tacos at work and a church function, so no leftovers. I am jonesing for some carnitas though, so I am gonna have to do one soon.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea the Mexican route with carnitas, flautas, enchiladas, etc. is a natural in lieu of beef.

Great ideas!
    We do give some to the kids, and usually end up freezing some of it (it freezes well).

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea freezing I figured would be mentioned. My problem is room, got so much other proteins in the freezer for the cooking que !!!

Omelette filling. Torta topping. Sandwiches. Panini filling.

I got a technique from the NYT for a more asian instapot crispy pork dish that was fantastic. It would work for pulled pork, tweaked. After pulling, toss shreds with something like 2 tbs of dilute blues hog or something thin and sugary BBQ saucey, arrange on a baking sheet, run under the broiler for a 2-3 minutes.

Original recipe probably behind a paywall but:
    You can make this spicy pork in a 6- to 8-quart electric pressure cooker if you’re in a hurry, or in a slow cooker if you're not In either case, you’ll get tender bits of meat covered in a chile-flavored barbecue sauce that’s just slightly sweet (You can also make it in a stovetop pressure cooker, by trimming a few minutes off the cooking time

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds very close to what CaptainMike mentioned above. I like it !! To the meat (besides the bbq sauce) I add apple cider vinegar, perfect complement.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Gotta keep the sugar content high enough that it was caramelize. That's what makes the dish.

I love pulled pork, but I've come to prefer slicing a pork shoulder across the grain. I like thin slices to make sandwiches. I don't always slice and I'm not opposed to pulling. I think the slices tend to retain moisture more so than pulling it.

Name:	sliced pork butt.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	630669

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Can also slice at a lower temp, so a faster cook, potentially.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea that's basically my preferred way. I have 2" steaks cut out of a whole boneless shoulder and treat them the same way as I do pork ribs. Every once in a while you have to do pulled though ....

We made sandwiches with our last one and gave them away to the homeless, often it goes to work with my wife to feed the nurse crew, my wife really likes making Brunswick stew too. I’m intrigued by the egg roll thing tho, hmm...

Comment

• gdsim1
      gdsim1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ummmm @fishtalesnc.... imma need that Brunswick Stew recipe! 😇 I haven’t had it since I was stationed in Charleston SC back in the mid to late 90’s, and every two or three years since I get cravings so bad I get the shakes! LOL

The life you save might be my own... don’t know how many more withdrawals my poor old bod can take! 😃

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      gdsim1 well we can't let that happen now can we! 😂 So, she said she doesn't use/have a recipe. She made it like they do at the Bar-B-Que House at Oak Island, NC cuz its so good there. The recipes vary greatly from VA to GA, but this one will get you very close to the NC style that we make at home. We'll usually sub green beans for the lima beans, and maybe add crushed red pepper. https://islandlifenc.com/recipe-brunswick-stew/

• gdsim1
      gdsim1 commented
      Editing a comment
      YOU ARE THE MAN @fishtalesnc!!! If that recipe is good enough to get the seal of approval from you and the missus, it’s worth whipping a batch up! 😃🙌 Very much appreciated sir.

Omelets and as a salad topping with blue cheese dressing.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      There you go, salad, an excellent topper !!!

All the above are great, my addition is to go get a Papa Murphy's pizza, extra cheese, and throw a bunch of pulled pork on top before cooking. Man, that is easy peasy fantastic pizza!

Comment

• RustyHaines
      RustyHaines commented
      Editing a comment
      Great idea. Will have to try that.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Great idea !!! I always add extra mozzarella cheese but pulled pork too would be excellent !!

• jerrybell
      jerrybell commented
      Editing a comment
      I second this. I was doing Boboli for awhile, but eventually the Papa Murphy's idea struck me. So much better than Boboli and even less work on weekday night. I try to go on ten buck Tuesdays & get onions, mushrooms, & black olives. Add the pulled pork & that's one fine pizza.

Stir fry, add it to scrambled eggs/omelettes, tacos, lots of stuff. Oh I actually just saw a video at Big Lew's BBQ where he used leftover pulled pork and made pork pot pie in a dutch oven that looked amazing. You could probably just do it in a casserole dish in the oven as well if you don't wanna go the dutch oven route. Dig it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnA-oqD9iho

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      YES !! Pulled pork pot pies...I love that !!!

Keep them coming folks !! I may put pulled pork back on the regular rotation with all these ideas !!

PICTURES AND RECIPES PLEASE !!!!

Comment

Lots of awesome suggestions here and I've done most of the ones mentioned. But you have a vac sealer and a freezer right? Problem solved. Vac seal in what ever serving size you like and freeze for use when ever pulled pork sounds good. Pulled pork freezes and will even refreeze well. I usually have 30 to 40lbs of pulled pork frozen in 3lb vac sealed bags in my freezer at all times. I get asked all the time from friends and family if I can make them pulled pork for this get together or that. I say sure how much you need and pull it out of the freezer!

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I do freeze but being space challenged means not freezing too many leftovers

• DavidNorcross
        DavidNorcross commented
        Editing a comment
        I do the same. Sous Vide to 203 to warm an eat on sandwiches, just eat with some sauce, nachos, you name it. Many times I will smoke a couple buts and freeze one. I love pulled pork.

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman I’m also space challenged, I lack the $1000000 to get there....

I always throw some in my pit beans and crisp some up on the flat top and put on top of your burger!

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea I like the burger idea, how decadent !!!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here