Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

They Asked For ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They Asked For ....

So, this morning about 10 AM my wife says .... hey honey, it’s a really nice fall day. Why don’t you BBQ something. And the girls chimed in wanting something BBQ’ed too ..... I said, "what do you want" .... how about ribs, they said. I said, I don’t have any here at the house. My wife: "so, Costco is only 10 minutes away".

I literally ran to costco, bought a cryovac of spareribs, got home, fired up the WSM and got the ribs on about 12:30.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8636F0C0-B2AF-4E0B-AD5D-FC0866FC040E.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	395707Click image for larger version

Name:	472EDFBE-7207-451F-8737-591B4AC77794.jpeg
Views:	152
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	395708Click image for larger version

Name:	25ED0C36-DEC5-4A79-A850-313D981DCA0D.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	395709

Looks like a great adventure, with wonderful ribs as th' destination!

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure I’ve gone from store to smoker that fast ever.

Makes me wish I’m back home. Have fun!

Comment

Good job.

Comment

Not knocking your food in the least, as I know you are highly skilled... that being said, you were played!! They schemed to get you out of the house for a little bit. Is your Bday coming up? Did they need a few minutes to wrap and hide your gift?

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          You may be right, although there’s nothing like that right now.

That sounds like a great way to start the day. I look forward to seeing the results.

Comment

WSM is running steady as a rock. Click image for larger version

Name:	1C401956-4180-4B8A-A627-1FBC41B30F56.png
Views:	150
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	395728

Comment

• Pirate Scott
            Pirate Scott commented
            Editing a comment
            Solid! You sure that’s not Photoshopped?

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Pirate Scott seems like it must be, huh? That’s what a WSM can do once you have it cooked in well. Get some gunk inside, get the section joints sealed nice, figure out how to load the charcoal and wood and set the vents and it’s just rock solid.

• Pirate Scott
            Pirate Scott commented
            Editing a comment
            ecowper, that is awesome. I was just looking at one on sale at Runnings. Did you have to modify it?

Are you using a guru or some other fan?

Comment

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            Its a WSM! They run solid. : ) just sayin.

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Jon Solberg yeah, I have loved how solid this has been since I got it. Especially after it got cooked in a little bit.

• jlazar
            jlazar commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree they are solid. But I had a guru for overnight cooks on my 18.5.

It’ Be great to see how this turns out.
          No dry brining. No marinating. No fuss. Just slap some rub on and onto the cooker.
          The way it used to be.
          I think its gonna be great.
          Cain’t wait to see your results.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, sure gonna find out today :-)

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            There going to be amazing! Sometimes we tend to get caught up in process. Not that that’s a bad thing There going to be great.

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Absolutely Jon Solberg

Awesome cook man! Can’t wait to see your awesome results!

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s fun just jumping on it spur of the moment.

Nice work. You could have bought more if you took the van. My wife never says that. I can't wait. I'm craving pork. Tic Toc!

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            HouseHomey you can’t believe how much I can get in the back of my 4Runner

So, I am cooking two racks of ribs .... repackaged and froze the other one. There’s me, the wife, and 2 teenage girls, so that plus some chicken, potato salad and Brussels sprouts is gonna be plenty. Ribs have been on for about 3 1/2 hours now. Looking good, smelling good. Also made up a batch of BBQ sauce. Bit on the spicy side, which is the way I like it. I don’t sauce the ribs at all. Just rub and smoke. Sauce is for the plate :-)

Like Jon Solberg said, sometimes we get too caught up in process. The great thing about process is that it will achieve a great outcome. The bad thing about it, to my way of thinking, is losing the joy of cooking. I cook spur of the moment in the kitchen all the time. I grill steak and pork spur of the moment. No reason I can’t do a slow cook the same way. And just enjoy the fun of cooking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	443AC643-2CA6-4C8E-B4C0-845B0F1EF0A3.jpeg
Views:	129
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	395827

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            Totally agree, ecowper. I like to plan things out, but it's easy to get too caught up in that and forget why you wanted to take up this hobby in the first place.

• bardsleyque
            bardsleyque commented
            Editing a comment
            I like sauce on the plate as well (though sometimes it's a bit crunchy)

• JCGrill
            JCGrill commented
            Editing a comment
            bardsleyque LOL

The more I think about it, the more I think I’m gonna do some ribs Rendezvous style next cook .... pull ‘em out of the cryovac and throw ‘em on to go hot and fast. Use the Hasty-Bake and run the grate temp up around 325 or so. If Rendezvous can turn out killer spareribs in 2 hours, so can I damnit.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Jon Solberg what do you baste with? Sauce? Fruit juice? Just a little water?

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            This is a great start. (Link below) I use a squeeze bottle. Bast. Rest turn bast. Rest turn bast. So on @ecowper

Create your own amazing East Carolina vinegar BBQ sauce and mop with this simple to follow recipe. Tangy and spicy, Low Country vinegar sauce is great for finishing fatty pork and does double duty as a baste (or mop) for adding layers of flavor to the meat as it cooks. Because it is so thin, it penetrates deep.

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks like a good place to start for sure. Vinegar and heat on pork .... delish!

Looks wonderful from here! Keep us in on the experiment!

Comment

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            Experiment? It’s a bbq! It’s any given Sunday! : )

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Sunday is my favorite day to BBQ

Oh yeah baby. It’s all good. Looking forward to seeing these puppies look cut up. Really hungry now!!!!

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Steve B ..... grab some ribs and throw ‘em on to cook next time you have 5 hours free :-D

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here