Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suckling Pig on a Weber Kettle/SnS combo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suckling Pig on a Weber Kettle/SnS combo?

Hi, I'm Scott and I am brand new to the forum. I have been following the website for a few months, so my wife recently bought me Meathead's cookbook. I recently cooked Last Meal Ribs and now I am getting all sorts of BBQ requests!!

Anyways, I have a request to cook a suckling pig. I have a 22 inch Weber kettle with a Slow 'n' Sear. My first question is would a small pig fit on my grill? Second, has anyone attempted to roast on pig on a set-up like mine?

Never tried it. If it fits you should be fine. I'd rotate it a few times for even heating. The pit is warmer a few inches above grate level compared to grate level.

Comment

I feel like a suckling pig would be much larger than what a kettle could hold... however do your measurements and required food quantity calculations to be sure.

Comment

I think the 22 is a wee bit small. You'd better order a 26 and slow and sear XL.

Comment

Tell your butcher what you want to smoke it on and ask if they can get one small enough to fit. Personally, I'd wonder if there would be enough meat on an SP that small to make it worth the time and effort.

Comment

Welcome Shollister. We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute.

Comment

This is one reason why I keep saying that David Parrish needs to design a SnS for a Weber Ranch Kettle!

Come on ABC.... you can do it!

Comment

Welcome Shollister

Comment

Originally posted by Nate View Post
                  This is one reason why I keep saying that David Parrish needs to design a SnS for a Weber Ranch Kettle!

Come on ABC.... you can do it!
                  We will just as soon as an RK owner coughs up the cash for a custom RK SnS. Until then I'm not convinced there's a demand.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, Scott!

Comment

Oh yes. Do it.
                      Don't take NO for an answer.
                      Do whatever it takes.
                      Get the butcher to decapitate, cut it in half, thirds, quarters, de-bone and stuff (porchetta style).
                      Half @ss another rack in there somehow.
                      Got to be a way.
                      You can do it.
                      If not you, who?

Do an image search on "how to fit suckling pig on weber kettle" or something like.
                      Cats have done it.

Comment

PS. I'd have the same response if you were cooking on a Smokey Joe or Jumbo Joe or my Aunt Gail's microwave so consider the source.

Having said that I really think you can do it, should do it and that you will nail it.

Good luck.

Comment

It looks to me like you MIGHT be able to pull it off in a 22.5" Weber kettle. A 26" kettle would do it for sure.

Comment

My cousin dug a hole in the ground, got a beautiful bed of coals going, and cooked a 65 lb pig in the hole. If he can make that work, you can get a 25 lb suckling pig on your Weber Shollister. I'm with l'inferno, go for it!

Comment

Any time someone says you can't do something that just means you're going to do better than they could. Go for it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here