Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last Meal Ribs... need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by randyworm View Post
    Hey guys, I'm smoking my ribs in a Weber. Everything is good to go but the thicker portion of the ribs has been a little dry. I wrap them for the last hour with a little butter buy can't get them moist. Five hours of total smoke time at 225. Suggestions?
    Welcome to The Pit randyworm! My guess is you're cooking baby backs/loin backs? Big thick baby backs (~3lb and heavier), in my experience anyway, tend to have a lot of loin meat on top, especially so on one end...which is a drier meat. If that's the case with you and if wrapping them and/or saucing them doesn't help moisten that top layer, chalk it up to experience I guess. In the future, you can fillet some of that meat from the top of them before rubbing & smoking. I usually do this myself to get the rack a little more uniform in thickness and remove that lean meat from the top. This allows the rack to cook quicker, perform the "bend test" better, and eliminates that extra dry top layer....plus it gives you some nice pork trimmings to use in a stir-fry or something for lunch while you're cooking!

When you get a minute, we'd love to get an intro from you in our Introduce Yourself channel....

Comment

Welcome randyworm

Comment

Hi all, First non-intro post. I have been doing a load of smoking over the last couple of years from this website but mostly pork butts because I had a bad smoker. Now I have a decent one, been practicing like crazy with dry runs and a great digital thermometer and very happy with my ability to hit the right temperatures. Thought I would try my first ribs. Now it gets a bit more complicated, I'm from the UK, I went to my butchers and asked for St louis cut ribs. He looked at me like I was crazy. So together we did the research (mostly from the cuts of meat section here) and worked out what needed to be done. As it is not the done thing, he said I would need to buy the whole sides as he couldn't sell the rest cut up like that. No problem! Loin roasts for smoking and belly for bacon! My freezer is full and we will live for a while off it. So I followed the last meal ribs to the letter and got some fantastic ribs. Solid 225F the whole cook. My guests were falling over themselves in pleasure. To be fair we just don't get stuff like this much over here. It's kinda like sleeping with a virgin, they don't know any better. However, I felt like the lower part of the meat was amazing, but the bit towards the loin side was a little bit dry. I took a picture at the worst thickest part and I think you can clearly see the dry texture. Still very tasty but room for improvement. My questions is the following, is this an issue with the cut? Do they normally not have such a thick part of loin at the top? Was the cook too long/hot? Would it benefit from a texas crutch? I really like a slightly hard bark, so I am resistant to use texas crutch method for fear of making it soggy. I know this is similar to the last question...but I'll ask anyway. I would just buy loads and experiment, but because of the difficultly of getting it over here by bank account won't allow it. What do you guys think?
        Last edited by British_banger; May 11, 2016, 04:47 AM.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          British_banger, First, I think your Meat Cutter ran a bit high on the Rib? Second, Did you have a water pan in your Smoker? Third, Did you
          Cook with the Side to the Heat? I typically use Rib Racks on the Weber and S 'n S also on my COS! 👍👍👍.
          Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

• British_banger
          British_banger commented
          Editing a comment
          Danjohnston949, Thanks for the response dan! Thats what I was thinking too, meat cutter wise. I did have a water pan and I cooked it bones down, not side on. Might try out these rib racks you speak of if they work well for you.

It appears that your butcher left quite a bit of loin meat on the rib. Makes them look really "meaty" but the loin meat is very lean and very prone to get dry with a low & slow cook.. I would trim that down thinner (saving trim for grinding). You could also wrap (crutch) the ribs after you have good bark formation. That might prove to be an acceptable compromise between dry meat and poor bark. Good luck.

Comment

• British_banger
          British_banger commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the tip! I will just have to eat more ribs to try out those ideas, such a hard life...

i dont know much about smoking ribs,but i do know this. Learn to control your temp before you put any meat on your grill.
        i learned that from right here on AM.

Comment

how long to dry brine baby backs? digging the expertise from this site.

Comment

• edible hen
            edible hen commented
            Editing a comment
            Depends on the weight/thickness of the ribs. I use 24 hours as a baseline and add time based on thickness of the ribs. It can take less time, but you can't overbrine by dry-brining so I try to max out the brining when possible.

• fracmeister
            fracmeister commented
            Editing a comment
            Overnight has been plenty as far as I can tell.

Originally posted by Iron Bulldog View Post
          how long to dry brine baby backs? digging the expertise from this site.
          Anywhere from a couple of hours to overnight works fine. I usually brine mine for only two or three hours for great results.

Comment

• Iron Bulldog
            Iron Bulldog commented
            Editing a comment
            I just salted and will hang in the PBC at 12 noon. They are covered in the fridge with plastic wrap. Am I ok?

• edible hen
            edible hen commented
            Editing a comment
            Plastic wrap should be fine.

• fracmeister
            fracmeister commented
            Editing a comment
            I used to do the plastic wrap thing but now I have a big tupperwared deal that holds 3 racks... or a huge one that holds 8. So I cook either 3 or 8!

Not sure about the plastic wrap. I dry brine uncovered on a rack so that air can circulate all around.

Comment

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Gonna be awesome!

• edible hen
            edible hen commented
            Editing a comment
            I will digress to MBMorgan on this cook as I'm not a PBC cooker. I just follow the trail that works for me. And there are many trails to the best result. That's what make bbq fun.

• Iron Bulldog
            Iron Bulldog commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks MBMorgan your info makes me feel more confident. Never tried dry brining before.

rub will be onion garlic rosemary sage, a little ancho chili powder and a touch of cumin and some paprika. Cant decide on American, Hungarian sweet or smoked paprika.

Comment

• Iron Bulldog
            Iron Bulldog commented
            Editing a comment
            Sauce on the side for me. Tried competition style squeeze butter and brown sugar at the wrap, too sweet. Especially with the PBC. Charcoal a few apple chunks and let the pork speak for itself. Savory, besides I got hot wings on the side. Pics WILL be posted. Looking forward to your critique.

• edible hen
            edible hen commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, we love pics. Happy smoking and Best of luck

• Iron Bulldog
            Iron Bulldog commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks to you also edible hen!

Gonna par-boil and then fry my red potatos for a little extra texture for the texas ranch potato salad even though reds are a little starchy.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Bulldog View Post
            Gonna par-boil and then fry my red potatos for a little extra texture for the texas ranch potato salad even though reds are a little starchy.
            Man. You're really giving this birthday dinner your all. When my son was growing up, he'd get hot dogs, potato chips, and kool aid. Your daughter's a lucky lady. Wish her a happy birthday on behalf of the Pit!

Comment

• Iron Bulldog
              Iron Bulldog commented
              Editing a comment
              Will do! cheaper than eating out and better food!!!!

Meathead says it is about the people at the table more than the food on the table. Amen

Comment

Cooked the ribs a couple of times now and they are amazing.

But have a question about doing potatoes underneath the ribs.

Has anyone done that, if so do you add any flavor to the potatoes and how long do you cook them underneath the ribs for.

Are they then like roast potatoes?
              Last edited by Welshdragon; January 17, 2017, 07:06 AM.

Comment

As info I made the very same cook yesterday on a large BGE. Followed MH directions exactly and cooked for 5 1/2 hours then put on sauce and "sizzled" it on.

wifey said best ribs that I have ever cooked.

Comment

Just initiated my Green Mountain Davy Crockett Pellet Grill with the "last Meal Ribs" recipe. Dry brined, rubbed and smoked four St Louis cut racks on a rib rack @ 225f as indicated; it took 7 hrs. 15 min to reach the "bend" stage. Sizzled the finished product with a coat of BBQ sauce (Meathead's KC Masterpiece hack). Overall results were very good: flavorful bark, perfect smoke ring/flavor, juicy meat with just the right chew. Next time, I will play with the rub/sauce ingredients to suit my preferences. I was wondering if it's possible do a partial smoke (say, 80-90% complete), vacuum seal, and chill down in an ice bath, refrigerate, finish smoking and glaze at a later date?

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Do it up! Cook to 90% Just make sure you shock it well. Use LOTS of ice. You want those temps to drop as fast as possible. Reheat over a hot grill.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here