Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last Meal Ribs... need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Step 3: Rub & Go!

Grill is up to temp. I applied the rub.
    First I drizzled a little olive oil on the rib side and spread it out over the rack sprinkling on 3 tablespoons of Meathead's Memphis Dust. I still didn't add salt to the rub mix, if this one turns out too sweet I'll have to adjust the recipe. I then flipped the rack over and repeated the oil and rub on the meaty side. Then off to the grill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-16 16.19.10 (Large).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	1690
    Nice rack! er...

Name:	2014-07-16 16.19.29 (Large).jpg
Views:	152
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	1687
    Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale... ahhh!

Step 4: Now Smoking

The ribs are in, and after a bit of fiddling with the vents the BGE locked in at 232 degrees. I decided this was close enough to 225 and left it well enough alone. 1 hour into the cook and the egg has stayed dead on 232 (grate temp). I'm getting hungry, time to prep the brats before the spouse gets home from work!

Here are the vent settings in case any other Eggheads find this thread.

Name:	2014-07-16 17.57.15 (Large).jpg
Views:	154
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	1693 Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-16 17.57.08 (Large).jpg
Views:	147
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	1695 Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-16 17.57.02 (Large).jpg
Views:	153
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	1694
    Attached Files

Comment

• SMO
      SMO commented
      Editing a comment
      I also cook on a kamado grill (mines red but works just like yours!) I set the bottom vent similar to your pic then use the top vent to fine tune the temps. A kamado will not exhaust smoke like some other smokers but you will have plenty of smoke flavor from your 4oz of wood. If temps drop too low you can open up the bottom vent and I use a hair dryer to give the fire a boost.

I'm going to merge this with the first LMR thread. Let's give folks a one stop shopping spot for advice on LMR!

Comment

Well, all done. It is a bit past midnight, and the smells while cooking were driving me crazy.

The ribs were pretty tender and the bark looked great!

Sadly, though better than Take I, Take II was, while not overpoweringly sweet, still a bit bland. I'm suspecting Meathead removing the salt from the recipe may be the problem. Does anyone know how much salt was supposed to be in the recipe originally?

The ribs looked awesome. Just not enough salt I think. I'll try Take III in the next day or two and this time I'll definitely add salt. Hopefully that will make LRM pop!

Name:	2014-07-16 22.10.34 (Medium).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	1885
      Bend Test

Name:	2014-07-16 22.14.32 (Medium).jpg
Views:	97
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	1886
      Ready to eat!

Comment

• boftx
        boftx commented
        Editing a comment
        If you are getting ribs that have not been pre-brined that might well be it. For myself, I use very little salt since I have to watch my sodium intake.

And grats for being that patient! I would have been cranking the heat and wrapping a long time ago.

LMR Take III: I tried again yesterday, my main goal was to see if putting the salt back in the Memphis Dust recipie would conquer the overly sweet issue. I took 6 tablespoons of the saltless Memphis Dust and added 1 tablespoon of salt. Ribs were the same as Take II and almost dead on same weight.

Other differences this cook:
      1. Temperature: Though not intentional, I cooked Take III at 262 for the bulk of the cook.
      2. Smoke: Way more smoke this time.
      3. Salt: in addition to the above, I used 1 teaspoon of salt for the dry brine (about 1/4 teaspoons more than Take II). Also, due to running errands the dry brine was in the fridge for about 3 hours instead of 1 hour as in Take I and Take II.
      4. Time: Due to higher heat no doubt, it was done in about 4 hours vs the 5-6 of Take I/II.

I set out to cook at 235-250 this time to help speed the cook (as due to errands, I didn't get it on the grill until 4PM). From the discussion on how much smoke thread, I also suspected that at 225 grate temperature my wood chunks were smouldering at too low a temperature and generating less than ideal smoke. I noted that the remaining chunks from Take II looked like they were half converted to charcoal. I added more wood chunks than last time (again mixing into the lump charcoal) and boy did it smoke this time. But it was billowing out and certainly not blue-grey. More white-grey to grey. Due to the smoke I had to open the vents quite a bit to get up to cooking temperature. The cook smelled delicious. I partook in some libations while I read grilling articles and drooled.

The verdict? The salt vastly improved the flavor. The ribs were not overly sweet this time. The bark was also darker. (Higher heat? More smoke?). When I did the bend test this time I got a very solid "crack" which looked more like the picture on the article than the little "crack" on Take I/II.

Having trouble uploading photos from this computer, will try again later.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Your heat and smoke will affect the bark more, the crack at the bend test too is a result of your increased heat=increased level of cooking. The salt is just flavor. I too use salt in my rub based on personal preference.

I'm gearing up for my first smoke ever with my new PBC Tomorrow! Gonna do LMR with some spare ribs I got today. The package weight is 9 pounds for 2 racks!! These things are ginormous lol. My first smoke was gonna be a Tri Tip but the butcher didn't have any ready and I couldn't wait. Wish me luck... I will definitely need it!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Knight View Post
        I'm gearing up for my first smoke ever with my new PBC Tomorrow! Gonna do LMR with some spare ribs I got today. The package weight is 9 pounds for 2 racks!! These things are ginormous lol. My first smoke was gonna be a Tri Tip but the butcher didn't have any ready and I couldn't wait. Wish me luck... I will definitely need it!

That's Awesome Matt. Glad to hear you've got your PBC! Start a new thread tomorrow and post your cook progress. Ask for help if you need it

Comment

Thanks Boss!

I have the racks cut up St. Louis style. I think I'm going to add the rib tips in with the cook because I don't know what else to do with them. Do I check the tips the same way for being ready, the bend test?

I have 2 racks, one with sauce and one with just rub. When the one with just rub passes the bend test, do I take it off? I know that may be a silly question but the sauced one goes back in for a while.

I am shooting for a 10:30 start time.

Matt

Comment

I have the racks cut up St. Louis style. I think I'm going to add the rib tips in with the cook because I don't know what else to do with them. Do I check the tips the same way for being ready, the bend test?
            Sure. I really don't like tips... too gristly... so I don't usually worry much with them

I have 2 racks, one with sauce and one with just rub. When the one with just rub passes the bend test, do I take it off? I know that may be a silly question but the sauced one goes back in for a while.
            Yep take the rack off when it passes the bend test. For the sauced ribs, you're going to sauce those AFTER they pass the bend test, right? (You don't sauce ribs at the beginning of a cook)

Comment

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
              Yep take the rack off when it passes the bend test. For the sauced ribs, you're going to sauce those AFTER they pass the bend test, right? (You don't sauce ribs at the beginning of a cook)
              Yes! Going to sauce after they pass the bend test I have been reading up on everything and I still could have been more organized. I forgot things, went out of order and I'm not sure if I added enough rub. Time will tell.

I got the ribs on at 10:37AM. Added a chunk of Apple wood.
              Fingers crossed!

I will say that I haven't ever cooked with charcoal. When I was a kid my family would go camping and dad would fire up the grill with charcoal. I must say after smelling the charcoal when I dumped the chimney brought me back to those camping trips. I immediately thought of my dad and wished he were still here. Good times.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Knight View Post

Yes! Going to sauce after they pass the bend test I have been reading up on everything and I still could have been more organized. I forgot things, went out of order and I'm not sure if I added enough rub. Time will tell.

I got the ribs on at 10:37AM. Added a chunk of Apple wood.
                Fingers crossed!

I will say that I haven't ever cooked with charcoal. When I was a kid my family would go camping and dad would fire up the grill with charcoal. I must say after smelling the charcoal when I dumped the chimney brought me back to those camping trips. I immediately thought of my dad and wished he were still here. Good times.

What temp did your PBC peak at?

Watch this video. It will help you understand what to expect with the cook:

Comment

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post

What temp did your PBC peak at?
                  That's one of the things that wasn't organized properly. LOL

It's holding steady at 288/289.

Comment

LOL alright maybe next time then. The hold temp of 288/289 is a good sign you have well lit coals.

Comment

Ok, 4 hours in and they don't pass the bend test. However it looks like they are trying to crack length wise during the test. How often should I check on them? Every 15 minutes?

The bone does pull away somewhat easy by pulling on it like in the PBC video.

Comment

Check if bones pull apart as per video. If so they are done. Check every 15 to 20 min

Comment

Sry I was on my phone at the store earlier. You want to careful now that the ribs are getting close to done. If your PBC has been holding in the high 200s this entire time I am betting they are pretty close. Anyway, what you have to watch out for is the ribs getting overdone and falling off the hook. Look at the hole the hook makes in the ribs. If the hole is starting to get loose around the hook that's a sign the ribs might fall off soon. It's also a sign they are done.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here