Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last Meal Ribs... need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah they ended up overcooked. Sauced them and gonna take out soon. I suck lol

Comment

Matt the good thing about overcooked ribs is they still taste awesome. Let us know what you think.

Comment

They were ok. I have a lot of room for improvement LOL. I guess I don't like a real chewy bark. Almost tastes dried out to me. I will know next time to pull them a little earlier and see how that goes. Thanks for the advice I appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Knight View Post
          They were ok. I have a lot of room for improvement LOL. I guess I don't like a real chewy bark. Almost tastes dried out to me. I will know next time to pull them a little earlier and see how that goes. Thanks for the advice I appreciate it!
          That's OK Matt. It was your first cook. Next time try Pork Butt. It's much more forgiving so you can learn your PBC AND have a great meal.

And glad I could help!

Comment

If ribs, or any food, is on the bland side squeeze some fresh lemon juice on it.

Comment

I usually buy regular pork ribs to cook. I had purchased some St Louis Style Ribs because they were on sale. Maybe its just me but it seems like they need to cook longer than a regular style cut. I usually cook mine till the ends of the bone peek out on either side and then take the tongs and administer the crack test. After 4 hours at about 225 degrees they still needed more time. I wrapped in foil poured in a little Apple Juice for about 1 hour. They still needed about another hour. I never use a thermometer on ribs just my tongs close to the middle to see if they crack and bend.

Comment

I know Meathead and others have said don't wrap ribs, but there is something to be said for wrapping with some butter, molasses, apple juice and just a *very* little maple syrup. Use the drippings when you unwrap for a sauce.

Comment

I hardly ever cook ribs at 225 I leave that for brisket. 250 gets the job done for me a little quicker and with a nice color on the ribs. But every set up is different experience is the key, there's no beginners luck in BBQ.

Comment

I had given up on ribs - I could never get them perfect using the 3-2-1 method and recipes from other sites. I decided to try again so I cooked the last meal ribs tonight for the first time and they were AMAZING! 225-250 for 6 hours with spare ribs. Now the family wants me to keep doing ribs since I've got it down now. Thanks Meathead! I LOVE this website!

Comment

AWESOME! Glad to hear of your success Robert!

Comment

As Pitmasters (in training) we need to do all we can to eradicate the 3-2-1 method from existence!

Comment

So, I know about the bounce/bend test, but does anybody have a good target IT for SLCs that I could check with my instant read? 180°F? Something else?

Comment

Dew, ribs are hard to temp. Their just inconsistent. IMO. BUT you want them 180°-190° ish

I know you have the bend test down but have have you checked out this page from the main site.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...hey_ready.html

Comment

Thanks, Jon. I had missed that page. They are looking good now. I will pull then off in about 20-30 mins

Comment

I'll be right over!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X
                                false
                                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                                false
                                false
                                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                                Yes
                                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here