Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foods you hated as a kid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brussel sprouts and Zucchini. Everybody has a recipe I'll love. Please stop talking, you don't!

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      But you didn’t say a word about squash :-)

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      ecowper Squash in definitly on that list also.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      ofelles I’m not sure we can stay friends ;-)

I didn't eat onions or mayonnaise for the first 18 years of my life. in retrospect what a terrible way to spend 18 years. Love both of them now even though a very strong onion can really put me out for the count.

Comment

Hated stuffing/dressing as a kid. I will eat obscene amounts of a good stuffing now, and I dearly love StoveTop, even cold.

EDIT: thought of another- ribs and pork chops. My mom cooked the snot out of pork chops (she thought she had to to be safe back then, 165 minimum) and I thought pork chops were awful. I got ribs once or twice in a restaurant and it was oven-baked pulled pork with bones in it and the ma & pa restaurant's version of BBQ sauce. Awful. As a teen I thought ribs were all like that.

This isn't quite the same- but I grew up thinking Miracle Whip was mayo. That's all my parents bought (never real mayo), and I hated it, so I grew up thinking I hated mayo. One day as a teen I asked friends what's that delicious creamy white sauce on the McD's McChicken. They thought I was joking. "Uhh, mayonnaise!?!" they said. When I had that realization THAT was what actual mayo really is I became a big fan. Can't hardly make a sandwich w/o extra mayo now, makin' up for lost time.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        My mom cooked the crap out of all meat. I grew up believing all meat was dry and chewy. Pork chops were like hockey pucks. And a sammie without extra mayo isn’t worth eating.

• lemayp
        lemayp commented
        Editing a comment
        All meat was burnt cardboard for me growing up as well. Still don't touch mayo. Other than to bring the wrong brand home to the wife. She only does Dukes, so bringing home miracle whip a few times means I don't even get asked to buy it anymore. But now she wears a Dukes mayo shirt...

Growing up in the late 50's / 60's was a time of great advancement in food science. Nothing better then a frozen block of vegetables or better yet, frozen fish sticks. But the worse one for me was cream spinach.
      Last edited by HawkerXP; October 20, 2020, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Spaghetti is the biggest for me. I hated it cause I’d get bored of the pasta/jarred sauce taste. Cooking it for myself now making my own red sauce, doubled down on the umami I could eat it all day.

Canned tuna is another one, but that one came to be from the days of scratching my change around to get tuna to stretch out the box of orange powder Mac and cheese.

Comment

Sweet Potatoes, gourds, squash and Lutefisk. Worst foods ever.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like I need to come up with some sorta authentic Lutefisk/Brussel sprouts/green peas chowder recipe. Mmm
            Last edited by Panhead John; October 21, 2020, 04:00 AM.

• jhapka
            jhapka commented
            Editing a comment
            At least we have lefse

• Skip
            Skip commented
            Editing a comment
            I can't remember my lutefisk post but that's probably best! Lol.

When I was a kid I would eat anything, and I mean anything but the green peas some call "English peas." They absolutely disgusted me for some reason. My mother could not bear that I wouldn't eat them even though I'd eat raw oysters and even choke down her overcooked "steaks" (my mom is actually a fantastic cook.) So one Wednesday night at our church dinner when I was seated at the head of a table with 6 other families she forced me to eat a heaping spoonful. She may as well have put charcoal down my throat because I projectile vomited the length of that table and all over her as well. I love the damn things now.

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Picture? No pic never happened! LoL!

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            If only, HawkerXP. That was back in pre smart phone days before everything was filmed for YouTube.

Any sort of canned vegetables .... disgusting, mushy, wrong colors, taste like cans and factories. Still hate them today.

Eggplant - still on my hate list

Eggs not cooked to done .... I have never liked them soft boiled, over easy, soft, or whatever other term you use. I love hard boiled, fried hard, scrambled hard, etc

Mushrooms - thought they were slimy when I was a kid, love them now

Other than that, I will eat most anything.

Comment

I didn’t like beer as a kid. That’s a "food" right?

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              I don’t understand this whole "I didn’t like beer" thing .... are you actually speaking English?

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, beer is definitely a food!

Loved it from th first "Big-Boy Sip" my Pa ever give me, Country Club Malt Liquor, it was, well afore I ever started school lol

Was still lovin it, as I set an wrote out that reply, several hours ago, an then didn't post it, but flitted off to other things.

Lots goin on hereabouts, right now, so, sry...

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              Bud. My mom wouldn't drink any thing but Budweiser. She would set the can down, I would sneak up and take a few sips.

Shredded coconut. Not then, not now, no way.

Comment

• BourBonQ
              BourBonQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Panhead John
              My grandma's coconut cream pie, by all accounts (except mine), was fabulous. Every Thanksgiving she was determined to win me over. Bless her heart. I miss everything about grammy. Except that damn pie.
              Last edited by BourBonQ; October 21, 2020, 09:15 AM.

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              BourBonQ but have you tried coconut on a box with a fox? Or in a house with a mouse?

• BourBonQ
              BourBonQ commented
              Editing a comment
              ecowper
              Nope, but I have had it with some melon and a felon.
              Last edited by BourBonQ; October 21, 2020, 10:15 AM.

Hated broccoli, Canned English peas or green peas, cauliflower, and especially brussell sprouts, liver and onions. Still hate them. One time as a kid... I put my broccoli in my Mom’s purse, which was laying on the floor by the table. Forgot all about it. My Mom got her purse the next day and asked me about it. I blamed it on my sister. Mom was not happy. Her purse stunk like hell. 😂 I used to hate asparagus but like it now. Cause it’s fresh and not canned like back in the day.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              My brother, many moons ago, when he was about 5, decided that he was going to take home a crab leg from a crab feed in Fort Bragg (CA, not NC). He wrapped it in a napkin and stuck it in his coat pocket. It was the last cold day that spring. He didn’t wear that coat again until the fall, probably 5 months later. He stuck his hand in his pocket and said "what is this?" As he pulled it out .....

I’ll go ahead and say it. I hated barbecue as a kid. Growing up in western PA good barbecue wasn’t on the menu but it was the sweet sauce that turned me off of all things barbecue for way too long. My brain didn’t allow me to like savory mixed with sweet. I still very much dislike a lot of savory-sweet foods like... pineapple pizza.. so gross.

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Pineapple pizza is an abomination. An affront to all that is Holy. In a word: Ghastly.

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s great in chili though!

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Panhead John that would make it True Texas Chili

Asparagus - because it was served from a can - yuk! Now I like asparagus, if it is fresh and cooked right.

Cooked carrots.

Potato Salad

Sweet Potatoes

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              Asparagus cooked? I consume it in the field!

I had to clean my plate before I could get up from the table. But there was one that I just could not stand. Asparagus, but just love it now...

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              As usual....canned back in the day, fresh now?

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              I would sit and stare at a couple of cold fish sticks until my grandmother would sneak me some catsup to choke them down.

• DavidNorcross
              DavidNorcross commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes....fresh is the best!

That's easy... Lima Beans!! They are so dry and just don't taste very good. I still don't them! :-)

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              Little balls of wax! Ack!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here