Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foods you hated as a kid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never liked broccoli, cauliflower, or brussels sprouts until I got older, now I can eat them all the time. Though I think mom overcooked all of them and I learned not to, and that makes a big difference.

Comment

On the other hand, there were things I loved as a kid that I would never eat now. Captain Crunch, Spaghetti O's, etc.

Comment

• lemayp
        lemayp commented
        Editing a comment
        I had some captain crunch last week, still good...

I hated asparagus as a kid but I love it now. When I was a kid I loved mayo, but now I can’t stand it.

Comment

Crab.

Comment

Almost any cooked vegetable that wasn't either lightly steamed or stir fried. Any canned vegetable (still gross). Lutheran Church Lady Jello Salad. Catsup, mayo, granola. That unfortunate thing my mom did to pork chops with Cream of Whatever soup and wild rice. Carob, any "natural" nut butter, whole wheat bread.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Carob is a good one. Carob gave me trust issues.

I didn't like roast beef until I started cooking it for myself and discovered it didn't have to be dry and tough. My mom was a great cook but knowing when a roast was done wasn't a strong point.

I wouldn't eat rice for a very long time. We didn't really have rice at home but I decided to try the strange stuff at school one day. I got sick that night for what I am sure now were reasons completely unrelated to the rice. Didn't matter - it took me a long time to try rice again. Come to think of it whiskey was out of the question for me for quite a while too but that was definitely self inflicted.

I hated cooked liver as a kid, from any animal, and don't see the need to try and start liking it now. I do however enjoy braunschweiger.

Comment

• Cheef
            Cheef commented
            Editing a comment
            Braunschweiger Is absolutely delicious!
            On a sandwich, or on crackers!
            I ate it by the pound back when I still drank beer.

Both my mother and grandmother (mom's mother) were both fantastic cooks in my opinion. However each of them cooked and item that I just could not wrap myself around. My sister loved both of these so I know it had to be me. Heck my sister cooked these two things for her kids while they were growing up.
          My nominees for meals worse than a MRE are:
          - New England Boiled Dinner. (my mother)
          - Slippery Pot Pie (grandmother)

Comment

• Argoboy
            Argoboy commented
            Editing a comment
            My Dad loved boiled dinner I was not found of it, it is an east coast thing.

Onions, squash, peppers. Now I like them a lot. I changed when I got married and we had our own garden.

Comment

Anything with Cream Of ___________, wife has to trick me to get me to even taste something made with a Cream Of soup. And I really can taste it in everything she's tried to sneak by me.

Meatloaf, until very recently the thought of meatloaf would incite the same reaction in my mouth as smelling tequila (I don't drink liquor these days, but had a very bad time with tequila when I was younger that probably led to that). It all stems from when I was very young and Mom made meatloaf and we all got food poisoning.

Comment

Peas were the only nemesis I can rember and I was pretty good at shifting them from the plate and into a serviette.
              Recall something to do with peas in the washing machine.

Comment

• Cheef
                Cheef commented
                Editing a comment
                I am with you on cooked peas.
                BUT frozen peas uncooked and thawed just a little are a whole other ball game.
                They are delicious frozen and thawed but uncooked.
                My 3 dogs beg for them as a snack each and every night.
                It is almost a tradition around here to thaw out the frozen peas for a bedtime snack for them. Hot summer days they get the frozen ones as kind of an ice cream type treat.

Liver Pops grew up dirt floor poor and you darn well ate what was put in front of you. Liver was the only thing he let up on.

Comment

As a very little kid, I wouldn't eat any tomato or tomato-based food, except ketchup on spaghetti. On the other hand, I would eat most anything as long as I could put mustard on it - veggies, meats of any kind cooked in any manner, asian food, whatever.

Being in the Army broke me of just about any eating bias - except fried liver and onions. Got served cold L & O with cold french fries at 2 AM on my first day in Basic at Ft. Bliss. Nothing could fix that taste....

Comment

• tiewunon
                  tiewunon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Love the last paragraph. Had a CO who had a special meal in the wardroom once "Baltimore Steak and Chicken Gizzards". Was psyched about the steak part. The messcook pulled me aside and said "Cheng avoid that meal at all costs, Baltimore Steak is Liver and Onions and I will get you Lasagne from the messdecks". If you could have seen the faces on all the officers exiting the wardroom after the meal it was priceless. Me eating that Lasagne with stateroom door propped open did not help either.

cyanide. still don't care for it

Comment

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How about anti-freeze?

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How'd ya get a second shot at it fracmeister ?

• fracmeister
                  fracmeister commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well, same way I did with the Brussels sprouts. Fed them to the dog. I miss that dog

Hated mustard as a kid. Love it now. Also hated swiss cheese, but like that now. I think the only foods I don't like now are olives and blue cheese.

Comment

I hated mom's meatloaf and Brussels sprouts. I love meatloaf now, but still consider Brussels sprouts the Official Vegetable of Hell. And yes, I've tried them every way from Sunday and they still suck!

Comment

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My wife just read this over my shoulder and doth protest too loudly. I acquiesced and said hers are the least suckiest. That seemed to sufficiently assuage her.

• wu7y
                    wu7y commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ". . . the least suckiest." That's great!

Reminds me of the compliment, "Gee, you don't sweat much for a fat girl."

• Tax Man
                    Tax Man commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Brussels sprouts are at the top of my do not like list. I have tried them cooked in various ways, still can't. Gross

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here