Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chili: Now I've done it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chili: Now I've done it

Some of you may recall I have a music & food buddy out in Austin, Jenni, who keeps me supplied with her incredible secret-recipe rib rub that I use on all things pork anymore. We chat about food pretty much constantly. Well, when I described the chili I made yesterday (click for my Show Us post), with beans a prominent ingredient (and with the "please don't hate me" disclaimer), she had a few tart words for me... She's the daughter of the Texas music legend Kent Finlay, the guy who pretty much invented the concept of "outlaw country" and established one of the first Texas roadhouse venues where the likes of Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, George Strait, and Stevie Ray Vaughan cut their teeth (she tells some AMAZING tales from her childhood...!). Jenni informed me that he wrote the anthem for the Terlingua international cook-off, which includes the lines “if you know beans about chili, you know that chili’s got no beans”. So... yeah.

I hope she doesn't unfriend & ghost me now...!!!

That's got you on The List now

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Listen DaveD … you can make a spicy stew of beans and beef all you like. And you can call it anything you want … .for example, I make one and call it Texas Style Drunken Beans …. But if you call it Chili you end up on The List curated by Panhead John. Sorry, it’s just how it works.

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      I get it! Some things are immutable...!

Um, Dave, I think it’s safe to say that was not your smartest move. Unless you know it’s safe, telling a Texan about chili with beans is about as bad a move as telling a Jewish grandmother about the bacon grease you cook your potato latkes in.
    Last edited by Draznnl; July 21, 2023, 04:30 PM. Reason: Word choice

Comment

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, especially because her ex is a competition BBQ guy there in central TX, she's been around that whole scene. I knew it had to come up someday though...!

Fortunately, I have not been drummed out of the proverbial corps, but yeah, as Eric says there will always now be that suspicion. I am beyond certain that I have not heard the last of this...! I can hear it now: "Well what do you expect from someone who thinks BEANS belong in CHILI?!"

Comment

Cool beans.

Oh wait.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      lol....I laughed way too hard at this.

This is bad Dave. Very bad. We now risk losing more posts about the glorious rubs and your food. Crisis.

Here’s what I am thinking. First, we send over a plate of smoked BBQ to show her that we are deserving of more rubs and know what BBQ means. Second, I think we find like a moon rock from NASA or some autographed Buzz pics to send over. Third, I think we dedicate the next music video with her favorite tunes.

This is a “Open the pod doors Hal” moment buddy. Don’t let us down. Think of the glorious food!!!!!!
    Last edited by STEbbq; July 21, 2023, 06:10 PM.

Comment

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      Geez, no pressure!

Originally posted by DaveD View Post
    Well, when I described the chili I made yesterday, with beans a prominent ingredient (and with the "please don't hate me" disclaimer), she had a few tart words for me.
    DUDE! SACRILEGE! What the Hell were you thinking???

Comment

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm thinking that I really like beans in chili!

• dubob
      dubob commented
      Editing a comment
      I do too, Dave. I just never tell my Texas friends. 🥰

Beans are fine! As are tomatoes. But...find me an "authentic bowl o' red" recipe that features an emphasis on 'maters--though there are plenty of those here on AR.
    Make chili how you like it. Ignore the purists. I personally like both beans and 'maters, but that ain't an "authentic" bowl o' red.

Comment

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm entirely uninterested in being "authentic" in this case.

Gutsy move, Dave. I’ve got your back if any Texas mafia come calling.

Comment

Dave, I got the beans…….
      Dave, you there?
      Dave?

no, Dave’s not here!

Comment

• Purc
        Purc commented
        Editing a comment
        Cheech and Chong? I've got the stuff. Am I telling my age?
        Last edited by Purc; July 22, 2023, 05:44 PM.

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        No, man, this IS Dave...!

I also like beans in my chili Dave!

Comment

If anyone has ever described a real Texas woman you just did. You’re going to have to learn how to keep a secret. It’s like your vegan girlfriend finding Big Mack boxes behind your seat. If you value her friendship, and it sounds valuable, don’t do things like this. There’s the right way to do something, the wrong way, and the Texas way. We call it the cowboy way. The cowboy way tells her you were drinking and will never do it again. HAHAHA that line has saved more Texas relationships than you can imagine.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Dang, based on that way of saving relationships I must be Texan!

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          ecowper welcome to the club!

OK, it is clear that Jenni has forgiven me, although I have a feeling it will be along the lines of "we won't speak of this again."

Good thing I had some cred in the bank from music and NASA stuff!

Comment

Chili has beans, but Chilli dies not. it all depends on the spelling

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here