Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime brisket hamburgers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime brisket hamburgers?

So I have been cosidering buying a prime brisket from Costco ($3.29 per lb) to grind up into hamburger. Just for grilling burgers. Anyone try this? How does it compare to other blends of meat for burgers? Any ideas on what the % of fat might be?

Currently my favorite hamburger to use for my burgers is 73%/27% el-cheapo hamburger from a grocery store near by my place. They are juicy and awesome every time.

Thanks

At $3.29/lb, the price is reasonable for sure

Comment

So Meathead says that 12 oz brisket plus 4 oz fat will give you 75/25. But you could just pull the fat trimmings from the packer and be good.

When you grind your own hamburgers you are assured of the freshest, cleanest meat, just the right fat to lean ratio.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        It shouldn't make much difference. Brisket has very little fat in the muscle.

• DeusDingo
        DeusDingo commented
        Editing a comment
        in the flat anyway. the point is a different story

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        That's true DeusDingo

I can't believe that people are seriously discussing using brisket for burgers. I mean, really. That is like saying SV is BBQ because it is low and slow.

(Now where the hell did I put that set of Kevlar underwear?)

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Not wasting my bullets. ;-)

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        Come on really? There is no comparison, SV is not BBQ and Brisket is still beef and not TOFU.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Pretty sure religious evangelism is against the TOS here.

boftx - I have a solution to your pain. We need two sets of forums. One set could be called "Old School", and would require digging that pit, and maybe just rubbing sticks together to get the fire started. If you want to go really old school, sharpen a stick, (after you chip out your flint knife), and procure your own meat. You would also be acquiring your cloths at the same time. And, of course, no seasonings of any kind. Now you are cookin' old school...

"Freestyle" would allow Webers, Kamados, stickburners, pellet burners, and any hybrids. You get to use metal in any form. Accessories such as pizza makers, thermometers and even electronics would be allowed - even praised. And you could take photos of the results using some of those electronics.

Guess which set I would spend my time in. LOL The bottom line for me is how the food tastes when I stick it in my face. And I do love my gadgets - A. Lot. If going Neanderthal floats your boat - go for it I will cheer on your efforts, but please don't rain on my parade because I want to smoke in the 21st century

I feel much better now... And of course, Old School means no Kevlar undies - maybe no undies at all.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        Also old school would require changing your screen name to Tarzan and a making your loin cloth.

• boftx
        boftx commented
        Editing a comment
        Who needs a loin cloth? If you got it, flaunt it.

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        boftx if you are frying bacon, you need a loin cloth. Otherwise, it's probably optional.

You guys are hilarious! 👍🏼

Comment

Post of the Week!!! LOL.

Comment

Yeah a friend of mine told me I don't stand to gain much by grinding up a prime brisket. He doesn't think the flavor or tenderness is gonna be anything special

Comment

I say price is the great equalizer in this context. If your brisket is cheaper than ground burger (and more gratifying doing it yourself) then do it. But, it's all in perception I guess. Would you rather pay $3.29/lb to grind our own burgers or pay more than that for preground? From that perspective the answer seems kinda obvious.

...However, on a personal note, it makes me wince thinking of doing that . I only say that because cheap brisket is so rare where I live that if I had one that cheap I could never grind it up, since I'd rather eat a delicious brisket than a delicious burger!

Comment

At what point did this post go completely awry? Very funny though.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
                JimLinebarger commented
                Editing a comment
                Well you do use brisket to make Reuben's on awry bread, so...

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
              I
              ...However, on a personal note, it makes me wince thinking of doing that . I only say that because cheap brisket is so rare where I live that if I had one that cheap I could never grind it up, since I'd rather eat a delicious brisket than a delicious burger!
              I agree on grinding prime brisket. Just seems wrong! On the other hand, my freezer is well stocked with home ground burger (of cervid origin) so I want not for great burger. One advantage to grinding your own, regardless of what you grind, is that you can confidently cook it rare to medium rare without worry! That, in & of itself is worth something.

Comment

Originally posted by HorseDoctor View Post

I agree on grinding prime brisket. Just seems wrong! On the other hand, my freezer is well stocked with home ground burger (of cervid origin) so I want not for great burger. One advantage to grinding your own, regardless of what you grind, is that you can confidently cook it rare to medium rare without worry! That, in & of itself is worth something.
                Technically, you should shock it first- dip the chunks into boiling water for 10seconds right before grinding. Then no surface bugs, eat yourself a rare hamburger!

Comment

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's exactly what I did with my first home grind Guest. 2/3 chuck roast and 1/3 boneless short ribs dipped and ground - because that's what I had...

• Steve B
                  Steve B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Are you saying bring the meat down to aprox. 32-34 degrees and right before grinding, boil for 10 sec. I have not heard of that before. I guess that would kill off any surface bacteria??

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Steve B Exactly.

Yeah I'm looking forward to trying this flash cook to kill off the surface bacteria so I can have even juicer burgers 👍🏼

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post

Technically, you should shock it first- dip the chunks into boiling water for 10seconds right before grinding. Then no surface bugs, eat yourself a rare hamburger!
                  If anyone thinks 10 seconds of boiling "sterilizes" their meat, I want to talk to them about a couple real estate deals. If I start with good fresh meat, that has been handled properly and cleanly, the level of surface contamination is minimal. If I take that meat and grind it in clean equipment, package and freeze it quickly, thaw it appropriately, and cook it in a timely fashion, there is very little time for any small amount of surface contamination to proliferate to a disease threat level. The burger is not setting in a display case for days on end waiting for someone to buy it &/or re-mixed with some fresh when it gets discolored before purchased. I'll just keep doing it the way I have for the last 50 years and continue to "roll the dice" with rare/medium rare burgers. I have a level of confidence in my technique mostly because I know the "butcher". Anyone who wants their burger otherwise, gets it "nuked" to whatever level of ruined they wish, or they can have peanut butter on their bun instead!

As this is a commercial web site I know you have to recommend what is "technically correct". Technically I probably shouldn't drink coffee when I drive either... I know it's crazy, but I've been known to cold smoke salmon too... Sorry to rant. I'll shut up now...

Comment

HorseDoctor I never said "sterilizes" (I have no way to test that claim). I think we're on the same page for the most part. You bring up some great points. The point I'm trying to make is highlighting exactly what you mention- if your meat is handled properly, not stored for days, etc etc etc. If we buy a hunk of meat from the store to grind up for burger, we have no way of knowing if the meat was in fact handled just as you say. Therefore, a quick dip in boiling water is added protection that surface bugs are killed, should they exist. Now, if you butcher your own steer according to proper, clean, and safe practices and rush that brisket or chuck right to the grinder, you're probably good.

Notice this page, the tan sidebar, 5th section down titled "If you must have medium rare burgers, there are four ways" and check out (2) Pasteurize the meat.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                      HorseDoctor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      OK, truce! You just caught me before my morning coffee...

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      HorseDoctor Understand, no worries at all [hugs] Lol

• JimLinebarger
                      JimLinebarger commented
                      Editing a comment
                      RonB I agree because if it was pastUReyes I would want to know if you have 20/20 vision, are near sited or farsided. If farsided, I would have to say I enjoy those cartoons as much as Jerry King's.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here