Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Whole, spatchcocked, split or parted out on T-Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    No way I could spin even a 10 pound turkey on the Genesis II - chickens were enough of a challenge. The two 19 pound birds are going on the offset, and I’m planning to just feed the firebox charcoal and a couple of cherry and hickory chunks, and keep things rolling around 350. Just gotta decide whether to spatchcock or part it out totally.

• HouseHomey
    commented on 's reply
    I totally get that. Nice work there. I’d love to see a pic if you remember. I love that technique, look and overall dish, especially with chicken as I love chicken.

• RobertC
    commented on 's reply
    HouseHomey Yeah, whole bird. The turkey comes out evenly cooked and moist. It takes a little more prep time but carving is simple enough that either wife or kids can do it which frees me up to do other last minute things, and the last few minutes before serving and sitting down are sometimes a little crazy. Basically, I'm moving some of the complexity earlier so the ending is simpler.

• HouseHomey
    commented on 's reply
    Gawd that meaty meaty stuffing sounds great!!

• HouseHomey
    commented on 's reply
    Wow! Are you boning out a whole turkey? That’s pretty tricky. I love a galantine

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    replied
    I'm on Turkey duty and I really wanted to spatchcock one and smoke it on my schmancy smoker... but we go to a friends house and they want what I've turned out in the past on the charbroil big easy SRG... plus I can't figure out the logistics of smoking at my house and then transporting without losing the crispy skin so the MAK will idle this turkey day.... Well not really 'cause it'll be cranking out the appetizers in the form of deviled eggs and maybe I might bake some bread if I can find the time.

Anyway, the 20lber will be cooked whole "fake fried" with a kiss of smoke on site at their house.

Leave a comment:

• Thunder77
    replied
    Whole and stuffed. I know, I know, but my family insists. But with the methodology I have learned here, I can make a pretty damn good turkey, even a stuffed one. No one has ever complained, and I get rave reviews every time.

Leave a comment:

• Beefchop
    replied
    The Spatching of the Cock. Part V.

Leave a comment:

• mountainsmoker
    replied
    My preferred is always the whole bird. I have done parts, breasts, splatchcocked and fryed. There is just something about a 16lb. bird smoking with cherry wood that in our minds means Thanksgiving.

Leave a comment:

• Murdy
    replied
    I believe we are doing a 15 pound on the rotisserie on a Kamado and a 22 pound in the oven, both whole . . . . for 6 adults and 2 young kids

Leave a comment:

• Nate
    replied
    Beer Keg Turkey...

got one of those mini beer kegs... figured the cans would be too small for the turkey

Leave a comment:

• painter
    replied
    Spatched on the Primo.

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    replied
    Vertical roast.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    Just three of us this year as well so I'm doing a whole duckling hung PBC style in my WSM. If it were a turkey I would spatch over charcoal or in a pellet cooker.

Leave a comment:

• Pequod
    replied
    Spatching

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here