Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Whole, spatchcocked, split or parted out on T-Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OmegaDog12
    commented on 's reply
    Don't mean to hijack this thread, but @fzxdoc..IF you have time, PLEASE pm me (or post) the recipe for the Meaty-Meaty Stuffing. IT.SOUNDS.AWESOME!!
    Thanx!
    The OmegaDog

• fkrall
    replied
    I prefer spatchcock, but the answer is whole, because I'm married. It's the one question I forgot to ask 49 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Thunder77
    commented on 's reply
    I can’t help but think that that looks a little bit weird...🤪

• Thunder77
    commented on 's reply
    The breast was always a bit dry. 😬

• Thunder77
    commented on 's reply
    I grew up just outside of Baltimore, and we always had a stuffed turkey. I never got sick from one, but I can tell you that I always preferred the dark meat when I was growing up.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Cool - I’ve had fried turkey that was really good, and with my brewing stuff and all the 7.5 to 15.5 gallon pots I have plus the burners, frying is something I ought to do, but I can’t get past all the peanut oil I would end up tossing afterwards.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I always smoke turkeys here, and every other year carry to my sister in laws 5 miles away. They don’t know enough to carry about the skin, so I just wrap it in foil, drop in a cooler, and take over there to carve.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Hmm. Growing up in the South, I’ve never seen or partaken of a stuffed turkey. In my neck of the woods, turkey is served with dressing, which is similar to stuffing, but cooked separately in a casserole dish. I would be afraid of stuffing cooked in an actual turkey cavity, plus the complications it would make in getting the turkey done properly (no airflow in the cavity). Meathead for sure recommends against it, but if it works for you, more power to you. I am sure it is great.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Haha that is a COPIOUS amount of turkey for 8 folk - a veritable plethora of turkey in point of fact....

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Well, all I can say Kathryn is that I am glad I saw "PBC" in there somewhere - even if it was just in preparation of the stuffing! I figured you to be queen of the PBC thanksgiving turkey...

• Sweaty Paul
    replied
    While I know this is a BBQ site we are deep frying the bird again this year. Everyone’s favorite way to prepare turkey. That said spatchcocking and on the smoker was in clear second place over roasting whole.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    My wife didn’t care when I first spatchcocked a couple of years ago - and it is pretty much a whole bird! I’ve gotten used to the presentation anyway, as has the family. No one here misses the backbone...

• johnec00
    replied
    Lately, I've spatchcocked, dry brined, injected with butter, rubbed with paprika and smoked hanging in vertical propane smoker at 325+º. Will do the same with a 10 pound heritage turkey for TG this week.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hung.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	773339

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I hear you on the complications. Two of ours got married the past year, and one is getting married in May.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, the whole turkey is a presentation thing. I’m considering parting my birds out and just carving it all off the bones into pans, and taking to my inlaws ready to serve, versus carving it over there.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here