Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Whole, spatchcocked, split or parted out on T-Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobmcgahan
    commented on 's reply
    What jfmorris said, not to mention the one time I did it, it scared the hell out of me. But it was good. Damn, it was good.

• Bobmcgahan
    commented on 's reply
    Lol

• jumbo7676
    commented on 's reply
    Nothing wrong with lots of leftovers for the freezer. I'd say that is something to be thankful for.

• LifebyC
    replied
    Hi Pit! We are hosting our 4th annual island "Orphan Thanksgiving" for our friends who don't have family on the island and can't travel to see theirs. I've spatchcocked and used Meathead's drip pan on a MAK with amazing results four years in a row. Here's OUR catch. We are expecting heavy rain for two days - Wednesday and Thursday. So MY debate is whether to try getting the MAK under an awning or an umbrella or something, or whether to try separating the bird, sous vide, and then sear on the gasser with grill grates and a few pellets (I KNOW I can get the Weber fired up under the awning for 15 minutes). So, to answer your question, if you don't have weather issues I'd stick to plan A - spatchcock and smoke. I'm anxious to hear other thoughts from the Pit with our weather issues. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    Maybe one of those skinny coke cans. Or one of the short ones.

• Nate
    commented on 's reply
    Potkettleblack , OUTSTANDING.... glad to know that... I haven't yet found anything for Cornish game hens though... incidentally we are doing those for thanksgiving since it will be just my wife and I and then we are doing the family thanksgiving thing on Saturday.

• Santamarina
    replied
    Spatchcocked. Some years I do a second turnkey in parts on the smoker. Not this year...Thursday’s forecast calls for a high of 49°F and raining. With all the other cooking I’m doing inside I don’t have time to babysit my stickburner to keep temps up in that weather!

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    A tall boy or a can of Fosters or 22oz Sapporo will work for a turkey. I did one many moons ago on a large Sapporo.

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    Spanek vertical roaster. Can-free turkey.

• Spinaker
    replied
    Deep fried, whole. So easy and it tastes great. Never had better skin!

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    replied
    We go to my brothers about 100 miles away where my nephew hosts the entire extended family. He deep fries the turkey, so whole.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    I know right, that picture's actually kind of disturbing

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Alright, beer can turkey !!!

• bbradford
    replied
    I'm wanting to spatch. Concerned my 20# bird will be a tight fit on Large BGE. Anyone with experience smoking that size on on a Large Egg?

Leave a comment:

• NinerfanWI
    replied
    I've done whole, spatchcocked, and parts the past three years. Going with parting it out again. That way more of the work is done before guests arrive. Easier to control proper doneness, too. Can put slower cooking pieces on hotter parts of the smoker.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here