Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a fav recipe for chuck roast on the smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a fav recipe for chuck roast on the smoker

I’ve never done chuck roast on my smoker but wanna give it a try. Tired of Instant Pot pot roasts!

Are you looking for pulled beef? Or sliceable roast?
    Last edited by HawkerXP; September 20, 2020, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Barbacoa

Comment

Burnt ends. See Malcom Reed recipe on how to bbq right web site. Fool proof and delish

Comment

I recently made a chuck with adobo sauce. It was done in my Dutch oven but you could easy do on the smoker, similar to barbacoa like @CaptianMike mentions.

Comment

This one always works for me. I generally use a Montreal or similar beef rub.

Clay’s Pulled Beef | Dizzy Pig BBQ

# Clay’s Pulled Beef

Recipe Author: Clay Roberts

Beef makes a great BBQ sandwich but it tends to dry out during the cook.This three stage method using a Dutch oven helps to keep the beef tender, moist and flavorful. Here’s my recipe for the egg.

Clay's Pulled Beef

Author: Clay Roberts

Ingredients

- Two or three choice chuck roasts

- Peanut Oil

- Dizzy Pig® [Cow Lick Steak Rub](http://dizzypigbbq.com/portfolio/cow-lick/)

- 10 strips of good bacon

- Tomato based BBQ sauce or your favorite sauce

- â…“ cup maple syrup (the real stuff)

- â…” cup water

Instructions

1. Rub beef with peanut oil. Coat generously with Dizzy Pig Cow Lick.

2. Prepare your smoker for an indirect cook at 250F degrees and hickory chips. Be prepared for an 8 hour cook.

3. Stage 1:

4. Set beef on v rack in pan with a little water or beer in pan.

5. Lay bacon on top of beef.

6. Cook for about 5 hours, and when beef is 160F internal remove from smoker.

7. Stage 2:

8. Oil inside a No.12 Dutch oven with peanut oil.

9. Remove bacon from beef and lay across bottom of Dutch oven.

10. Carefully lift beef off of rack and place in Dutch oven.

11. Pour the maple syrup and water over beef.

12. Insert meat temperature probe.

13. Put the lid on and return to smoking still at 250F

14. Cook for about 2 hours or until beef is 215F internal and remove from egg.

15. Stage 3:

16. Remove beef to rest.

17. Drain the beef juice from the Dutch oven into a container.

18. Place the container in the freezer to chill so that you can skim off the fat later.

19. Trim any fat you find on the beef and start pulling with a fork.

20. Return pulled beef to Dutch oven and add the sauce to your liking.

21. Skim fat from saved juice and return juice to the beef.

22. Add more hickory chips to fire.

23. Return Dutch oven to smoke with the lid off.

24. Cook for about 1 and ½ hours.

25. Maintain a dome temp no higher than 250F.

26. Stir and serve on soft hamburger buns with pickles on the side.

Notes

If you don’t have a Dutch oven you can use a double layer of heavy aluminum foil.  Special thanks to all the good cooks on the forum that helped me make this BBQ.

Set the beef out on the table and rub with peanut oil and then Dizzy Pig [Cow Lick](http://dizzypigbbq.com/portfolio/cow-lick). Fire up the egg and stabilize at 250F degrees dome. Be prepared for an 8 hour cook. Set up is indirect, platesetter feet up, grid on platesetter, drip pan and v rack on grid. At this time leave the grid off.

**Stage 1**

Set beef on v rack in pan with a little water or beer in pan. Lay bacon on top of beef. Lift platesetter enough to throw a handful of hickory chips on burning lump. Place grid in egg and set in the pan with beef. Cook for about 5 hours and when beef is 160F internal remove from egg.

**Stage 2**

In a No.12 Dutch oven, oil inside with peanut oil, remove bacon from beef and lay across bottom of Dutch oven. Carefully lift beef off of rack and place in Dutch oven. Pour the maple syrup and water over beef. Making sure the meat probe is inserted in the meat, put the lid on and return to the egg and set on top of platesetter after removing grid. Be careful not to have the dome temp over 250F. Cook for about 2 hours or until beef is 215F internal and remove from egg.

**Stage 3**

Set the beef out on a tray to rest while you drain the beef juice from the Dutch oven into a container. Place the container in the freezer to chill so that you can skim off the fat later. Trim any fat you find on the beef and start pulling with a fork. Remove gristle and fat as you pull. Return pulled beef to Dutch oven and add the sauce to your liking. Taste test. Now skim fat from saved juice and return juice to the beef. Taste test. Ok, lets go back to the egg. Lift platesetter and throw a good handful of hickory chips on burning lump and return Dutch oven to smoke with the cast iron lid off. Cook for about 1 and 1/2 hours. Maintain a dome temp no higher than 250F.

Stir and serve on soft hamburger buns with pickles on the side.
            Let’s eat!

Author’s note: If you don’t have a Dutch oven you can use a double layer of heavy alumimum foil. Keep the egg steady at 250F, smoke with more hickory if you like and enjoy one of lifes best sandwiches.

Attached Files
            Last edited by EdF; September 20, 2020, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• JGo37
              JGo37 commented
              Editing a comment
              I fainted at Stage 3

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, it's tough at that point to push through and not just start eating! That's why this is a "mood" cook.

I cook chuck roast just like brisket, but take the internal temp higher than brisket. To about 205-207. Then slice like I would brisket. YOu can pull it, too, and turn it into beef tacos .... Nom

Comment

• Red Man
              Red Man commented
              Editing a comment
              This is my go to for chuck roast. I typically pull it and make sammiches or tacos.

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              Same. But then just cook the hell out of it until it has no choice but to be fall apart tender. Shredded, it makes a great replacement for ground beef in a lot of dishes.

There are good examples of smoked chuckies here.
            It's super good.

If you want something more like a pot roast - this is one that I've done.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ast-on-the-pbc

Also burnt ends https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ast-burnt-ends
            Last edited by BFlynn; September 20, 2020, 11:06 AM.

Comment

1. Fire up smoker.
              2. Put chuckie on.
              3. Take off when probe tender
              4. Enjoy
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 20, 2020, 04:45 PM. Reason: m vs previous n in 'snoker' lol:D

Comment

• Whiskeyman53
                Whiskeyman53 commented
                Editing a comment
                100% agree, don't over think or over complicate.

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                I can go either way. Just depends on my mood!

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep, this ain't rocket surgery.

All I do is dry brine for a day or two and then add pepper just before the chucky goes on the grill. If I'm feelin' really wild I might add some garlic and onion powders.

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Don’t go getting all wild and crazy on us Ron

• 2 pounds chuck roast
              • 1/4 cup Traeger Beef Rub (link below)
              • 1/8 cup Kendrick BBQ Rub (link below)
              • 2 cups BBQ sauce
              1. Cut your chuck roast into 1 1/2” squares, discarding excess fat, and place into a medium-sized bowl.
              2. Pour about two-thirds of your rubs into the bowl and mix thoroughly. Make sure all the pieces of the chuck roast are evenly coated.
              3. Cover the bowl and place it into your fridge for 1 hour.
              4. Start your grill and pre-heat it to 275 degrees Fahrenheit.
              5. Place your chuck roast pieces onto the grill with at least 1/2” space between each piece.
              6. Let cook on the grill for approximately 2 1/2 to 3 hours. The meat should be fork-tender.
              7. Pull your meat from the grill and put it into a disposable foil box or grill safe cooking container.
              8. Shake the rest of the rub onto the meat and mix it up with a large spoon.
              9. Pour the barbecue sauce on top of the meat and mix it up with your spoon.
              10. Place it back onto the grill for 30 minutes or until it begins to simmer a little bit and the sauce just starts to caramelize.
              11. Pull from the grill and serve.

Comment

I smoked my first and certainly not last chuck roast last week. Simple, simple, keep it simple, spg for seasoning with a long low smoke till 205. Before the smoker I injected it with beef broth, salted it and let it sit for 2 hours .
                Wrapped in foil for the last 40 degrees until probe tender which was 208. I used a pellet grill for the smoke and finished it after wrapping in the kettle at 250. I feel like it's wasting pellets for wrapped meat to be finished in the pellet grill. The recipe on site for both pulled and sliced is excellent. I still don't think I'm ready to tackle a brisket yet, maybe after a few more chucks.

Comment

I really have fallen in love with SVQ’ed chuck roast after a little smoke.

Comment

Season any number of ways. I do BBQ rubs, Mexican style rubs, or just SPG. Smoke anywhere from 250-300 until it gets bark I want, then wrap in butcher paper for BBQ or foil for Mexican and keep cooking until 205-208 IT, then I turn down smoker to 225ish and hold the roast over 200 IT for an hour. Remove, rest, pull and enjoy. Pretty hard cut to mess up, I usually keep it fairly simply like Mr. Bones and one of my favorites to smoke. Probably do these at least once a month. Getting it that hot and holding it there is hard to get yourself to do as you feel like you're going to overcook it or dry it out, but chuck is pretty hard to dry out.

When I do Mexican style, I usually add a little more rub after shredding and toss it all around a bit.

Comment

I generally stay t'wards th kiss side o things, with a chuckie...

sp(og) if I'm feelin all kinda fancy...

Montreal works jus fine, most times...

If ahm'a cookin me up some Mexi Style chuckie, well, then, I use Brother ecowper 's rub...ain't been ambitious enough to try an better that, never seen no good reason to....

Comment

• ecowper
                        ecowper commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Panhead John I’m that crazy guy that literally just yanks the meat out the fridge, throws the rub on, and tosses it on the smoker :-)

• ecowper
                        ecowper commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I originally created this for pork butt cause my kids don’t really prefer that sweet/vinegar mix of a traditional Georgia or Carolina pork butt. It works great for pulled pork, etc

• Mr. Bones
                        Mr. Bones commented
                        Editing a comment
                        ecowper Panhead John
                        Here, as well...Yup...fridge, rub, throw it on a smoker ...

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here