Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoker or Rotisserie for Prime Rib Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoker or Rotisserie for Prime Rib Roast

Going to do my first prime rib roast on Christmas. It is a boneless 7lb. I am debating with myself whether to smoke it in the Chubby or use the Weber Kettle/SnS/Rotisserie. Will be controlling with a Fireboard and fan in either case. Target temp between 225 and 250 and remove at 130. Any thoughts/recommendations?

I’ve never used the Rotisserie, but I’ve made a mean prime rib, reverse seared, on the 26 inch Kettle/SNS.

Comment

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      What temp and cooking time?

• ColonialDawg
      ColonialDawg commented
      Editing a comment
      225 to cook indirect until about 120 internal temp, then direct sear all sides.

This may help a bit. Here is my session from last year on the WSCGC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-12-22 at 3.11.58 PM.png
Views:	2232
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	611180

Comment

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. This helps a lot.

I see no visual of that rib you cooked Lonnie, but I’d eat that site unseen! Plus you’re a Texan!

Comment

Since you’re fan controlled and probably using similar wood chunks, I’d say it’s a toss up.

Comment

Thanks to all for your advice on my first prime rib roast. After seeing lonnie mac results above, I did not use the Chubby or the Rotisserie. Just went with the Kettle and the SNS controlled by the Fireboard/Viper. Started the fire at 9:30 and by 10:30 it was running a steady 225. Cooked the 7lb rib roast for about 2hrs 50 minutes. Then seared on each of the 4 sides for about 90 seconds. Pulled when my internal probe said 121. Next time I will pull at 115 to have it a little more towards med rare. Everyone loved it and requested it be our new Christmas meal. Thanks again for all your help

Click image for larger version  Name:	PR2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.25 MB ID:	612902
      Wrapped an cooking.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PR3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	827.5 KB ID:	612903
      Ready to slice.

No good pics of finished product because folks started grabbing slices as I cut. Only the two end slices left for tomorrow.
      Also made the Secretariat Horseradish Cream Sauce for first time. It really tasted good and smooth last night after I mixed it, but once on the meat we felt it needed more punch. In the future, I will double the amount of prepared horseradish in the recipe. But it is definitely a keeper.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by jlazar; December 25, 2018, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Excellent brother!!

Comment

• jlazar
          jlazar commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for your help. It was a choice roast and very tender. Much better looking than what the picture above looks like. Was especially how happy how little brown meat I had around the edges. Actually saw some smoke ring (only about half of one chunk burned. Liked the O'Leary crust but made the paste too thin. Next time might try just a coating of Montreal Steak seasoning.

I realize it’s after the fact .... but I do my prime rib on the Hasty-Bake using the rotisserie .... and always love how it comes out. I run the fire at about 250-275 at the rotisserie (measure by hanging an ambient probe from the top of the HB, tip down at the same level as the rotisserie).

Click image for larger version

Name:	F345291E-E7DE-495C-8597-1DAD6FBE80AF.jpeg
Views:	1896
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	613033Click image for larger version

Name:	83398EF3-AFFE-4D15-94D4-02CF96AC3B0B.jpeg
Views:	1841
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	613035Click image for larger version

Name:	F92DC3FB-AD92-4E01-BC15-D05AEF6D4F29.jpeg
Views:	1850
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	613034

Comment

• jlazar
          jlazar commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you find the spit rod heats up and cooks the meat from the inside?

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          jlazar I have heard that rumor on the internet, but never actually seen it happen. As you can see, the meat is a beautiful medium rare in the center :-)

• jlazar
          jlazar commented
          Editing a comment
          OK, thanks. I will probably try the rotisserie next time.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here