Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Standing rib roast advice, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standing rib roast advice, please.

Well, my wife just gave me her Christmas mandate to cook a standing rib roast. I haven’t done one yet. Uh oh! I have some questions if some good folks here can help me out.

1) I’ll be serving 7 adults (so far). How much should I buy?
    2.) What do I cook it on? I have a 22” Weber Kettle with S-N-S; a Weber 4 burner Genesis II gas grill; an 18” WSM.
    3) Cooking temp? I would guess the WSM will be eliminated.
    4) Standing rib roast is great presentation but do I really want to go with the bones?
    5) Serving temp? I know this depends on the person. But I can’t imagine going over 130, 135 tops? Should it come off the grill before reaching serving temp?
    6) Should it rest before slicing and how long?

Sorry. I know I’m asking a lot. I’ll probably have more. And I’m sure this subject has already been well covered. If so, I apologize for digging up old bones.

There are some tricks to learning how to cook a perfect prime rib, tenderloin, round, rump, and other beef roasts and we have assembled them all in one place! Discover our secrets for ensuring it is cooked right from end to end and with a deeply flavored crust in this ultimate prime rib recipe.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      This is way easier than someone tapping out the answers to all of your questions as Meathead already tapped it out.

• Willard
      Willard commented
      Editing a comment
      Dang! I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder CaptainMike

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I still do that from time to time as well. Makes for a great face-palm, doh! moment!

Follow those instructions and they’re even FishtalesNC-proof. I did a bone out one last year for Christmas dinner using the snake method on my 22” and then seared it on my brand new 26” with SNS I just opened that morning. I hadn’t joined these forums yet, didn’t even realize what I didn’t know, but followed that recipe and it came out pretty epic, you’ll be fine.
    Attached Files

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, using MH's method you'd have to screw it up on purpose. Oddly enough, I like my steaks wall-to-wall MR, but enjoy PR with it a little more done on the edge. I'm cool like that.

• jgreen
      jgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. My preference is MR for a steak, but medium or oven a bit more for roasts. Yours looks perfect.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Great result

CaptainMike I did actually read this a couple of years ago but forgot about it. I went to the threads in the channel links and started there. I should have known Meathead had it thoroughly covered. Thanks.

Comment

Maybe I should be included in the Darwin Awards 🤪

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Nah, you turned on a dime - very adaptive!

1) I would go for about 7-8 lb roast. You can go heavier too, because you will be trimming fat and have some bone weight.
      2.) I would go with the gasser or the WSM. Make sure you have a good spot to sear it. The Kettle might come in handy here. You can also use a 500F Convection oven as well. I really like that set up.
      3) Cook at about 250 F until about 120 F internal.
      4) Standing rib roast is great presentation but do I really want to go with the bones?
      5) Serve at 135 F. Take it off at about 130 F as it will carry over as it rests.
      6) This is a point of contention. I always allow my roasts to hang out for about ten minutes before slicing. It always eliminates the rush. People are running around the house doing other things, be it setting the table, getting kids to the table or people setting more food out. I hate having to corral people to eat. A built in rest allows for everyone to settle in.

LMK if you have any more questions. Best of luck Willard!

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I like to use the bones for a separate meal. I save em as a slab, sprinkle some salt, vac seal, then fridge or freeze for later.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah CaptainMike - sometime I cut them off with some extra meat for a separate cook; sometimes I just separate them from the main roast, but not all the way. Slow to pre-sear IT; then kill it for 15-20 minutes for the sear.

• Willard
        Willard commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Spinaker particularly with the rest part which is a little different from Meathead’s suggestion. My 86 year old mother in law is a little slow and I won’t serve myself until everyone else has. Your recommendation on how much to buy is also very helpful.

Willard ..... yep, read MeatHead’s methodology first and foremost. Here’s a few thoughts of my own to add to it, since I cook a rib roast every year for Christmas Day (well, almost every year)

1. You don’t really have to spend $20+ per pound for great rib roast. I’ve done it, I don’t think it was all that much better than the Choice I buy at Costco.
      2. I figure one bone, which is about 2 lbs, per 2 people. You are serving 7 adults, so buy 4 bones worth .... 8 lbs. That will even give you some leftovers.
      3. I would go with the WSM for the low and slow and the Genesis for searing the crust. Or all on the SnS. If you have a rotisserie for the Kettle, do that. I love the outcome with a rotisserie .... the crust is amazing and the flavor from the fat dripping and sizzling is awesome.
      4. Absolutely make Meathead’s gravy!

Comment

• Willard
        Willard commented
        Editing a comment
        ecowper this is why I ask about which cooker and I am surprised about the WSM. Just before I posted this I saw a recommendation of cooking indoors from Epicurios at 450! Maybe that’s fine but seemed to be against the grain of what I have read here. Thank you for your help!

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Willard The WSM will give you a nice low n slow plus smoke :-) and the Genesis can give you a great sear to finish that crust!

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Willard before I understood how great cooking a rib roast outside could be, I used to follow a front sear recipe in the oven. Start at 450F and do that for 20 minutes. Then shut the oven off, leave the door closed and let it cook for another 90-120 minutes until the IT is 135. That turns out pretty good, actually.

CaptainMike I make Meathead’s gravy with the bones. IF I am cooking a big roast, I use some bones for the gravy and save some to do like you said. If you have a couple always hungry Labs, like I do, those bones you made gravy with come in handy for them to gnaw later on.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice tip. I bought a 7 rib last week (1/2 for xmas, 1/2 for steaks) and have a nice supply of ribs. Definitely using some for gravy, thanks! I totally agree with your buying tip. I have a good relationship with our local butcher shop and he picked out a really nice CAB for $10/lb

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I do like CAB .... and I think that Costco’s Choice is pretty darn close to Prime. But at $8.99/lb it’s way more affordable than the $20/lb Prime at the butcher or really fancy free range stuff.

Good grief. Now as I am reading Meathead’s method I remember that not only did I read it I actually cooked it. This was only about 2.5 or 3 years ago. Geez, my memory is scaring me. I may still have questions though. If I do I will ask well before Christmas. Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        hopefully you remember that you started this discussion topic ;-)

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here