Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

English Cut Beef Short Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

English Cut Beef Short Ribs

First try at these, never had them before. Found some very helpful info on this thread here.

My local Fresh Market started carrying these, I noticed the were Prime and had to try. I was a bit concerned with the differences in thickness possibly requiring them to come off all at different times. Wasn’t an issue.

When I opened them up, I took a guess at trimming. For the most part they seemed to have one bone side and the other side with a piece of fat on top with silver skin under it. I removed that to expose the meat. Knives were recently sharpened so it was easy. At this point I started dry brining them (18 hours prior). I went a little light on the salt since I planned to use Hank’s Bonafide Beef Rub and it has a little salt in it. They weren’t salty at all, so that seemed to work.

I got them on the 26” with a full SNS this morning. Smoked for 5 hours with mesquite wood chunks at around 250F. After 5 hours they were all around 197-199F per the Thermapen and probe tender. I mean like a hot knife thru butter. Not trusting that, I did it again. Same results - off they came! Wrapped and held them in the oven at 170F for an hour.

I wasnt sure sure what to expect, but wow... rich, moist, flavorful, tender beef bites. The bark was just great, the flavors were amazing (kudos Henrik !), and it had softened up just a bit during the hold. Perfect. Had a really nice smokey flavor, and you could tell how well things had rendered down in each juicy tender bite. I really liked them, very pleasantly surprised. My wife did too, she went back for seconds, but does still prefer babybacks. My kiddo, not so much... "It tastes like steak on a bone. With no BBQ sauce." 🙄 Saves me money each time I buy steak I guess...

All in all another learning experience, and a great dinner. Thanks again, AR... 👍🏻
    Attached Files

Nice job! Something magical happens when beef meets smoke!

Comment

Those look beautiful! One of my favorite easy Sunday cooks, too.

Comment

Great lookin' cook.

Comment

Yum. Love beef ribs.

Comment

Beef Wibs luv them Wibs

Comment

Nice looking ribs. I just done the calculation and those ribs in Argentina here cost about usd$6.50 for 3lbs.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
                FishTalesNC commented
                Editing a comment
                Expensive, no doubt. I definitely frequent The Fresh Market for the large variety and great service, not the prices!

I haven't had any problems dry brining as usual when using Hank's Beef Rub, Just rub and on to the pit. I do like a fair bit of salt though, so... But, man, does that stuff ever do something special on ribs.

Comment

Great to see beef ribs, one of my faves! And yes, that beef rub of mine is made for cooks like these. Real bbq, real beef. So glad to hear you enjoyed it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here