Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need info on how to cook beef ribs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need info on how to cook beef ribs.

Dad wanted to try beef ribs for fathers day. Where is good place to find info so I dont mess them up. Also what type of pellet do you recommend. Thanks

I cook them pretty much like brisket. I don’t bother peeling the membrane like on pork ribs because they’ll hold together in the cook better that way. Dry salt brine for at least overnight. BBBR rub from this site, then smoke at 225 until probe tender (usually well above 195 where I start checking but you are checking for tenderness not temp necessarily). Then I faux cambro then for a couple hours.

They do take a long time to tenderize so I’d plan on about a 6-8 hour cook. You can hold them in the cambro for a couple hours easy so if they finish early, no big deal.

There are lots of other ways to make them. As long as you give them enough time to tenderize they are always good and usually amazing.

One caveat. They have less meat than you may expect depending on how they are trimmed, and they are really good so be sure you make more than you think you’ll want!

There are several subsections and cuts from the ribs: Back ribs, ribeyes, short ribs, English cut, flanken cut ribs, riblets, boneless short ribs.

Behold the best smoked brisket recipe ever! Texas style brisket is more than a recipe, it is a concept and a goal. It all begins by selecting the right meat, trimming it, seasoning it, smoking it, slicing it, and more. Follow this easy BBQ brisket guide for mouthwatering results!

Comment

Piece of cake! Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFVu_XwLrew All good info! Toughest part is finding them at the market. Go for it!

Comment

I agree with treating them like little briskets, except back ribs take 3-5 hrs and shorts maybe 5-7. Take them to that magic 200 range, then wrap them (if not wrapped already) and do the faux cambro hold for at least an hour, preferably 2-3. Allow yourself 7-9 hrs total depending on which type you buy. There's often a 2hr leeway, you may only need 5hrs total, you may need 8 or 9 counting the hold phase.

Comment

Ribs are always cut into short ribs at my local Publix, but they cut them in store. They look more impressive if you leave them whole, so ask the butcher if he has any whole if you don't see them.

Some cut them into individual ribs, and some cut them into two bone sections. Cutting them into single bones gives more bark, but cutting into two bone sections looks impressive when the two bone sections are cut in half. It's your call...

Comment

All good advice here. I don’t have a pellet smoker, yet, but in my stick burner I go with straight oak for the wood. Keep it simple and let the beef shine. They’ll be great.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Oink oink 🐷🐽

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              HouseHomey Mooo Mooo 🐮🐄

I'm making beef short ribs today. I plan to serve them over polenta with a side of roasted carrots. Can't wait for dinner tonight.

Comment

The only thing I would add to all this is the cut of beef ribs themselves. They really fall into a number of categories; you have the beef back ribs which are taken generally off and trimmed from the rib section once the meat is cut off for steaks or roasts. These are thin cut with the bones generally exposed from the cutting process (called shiners because they clip the bone). Back ribs cook very differently and a lot quicker than short ribs. Beef short ribs are cut from plates on the lower part of the rib cage and have meat of various thicknesses attached. I prefer the ones cut from the chuck end because they have the most meat, less the further back it's taken. These are the ones that need to be slow cooked as described above.

There's also the way a butcher cuts short ribs. They are either cut flanken style, which is a thin cross sectional area of the plate,

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flanken_cut_short_rib_and_cross-section.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	516163

or cut English style whcih is a parallel cut between the bones. Flanken, being thin and exposed, cook quickly, while English (again as above and shown here) need to go low and slow.

Name:	shortrib_b2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	516164

Just pointing all this out so the OP understands what he needs to buy to properly prepare.

Comment

• Rod
                Rod commented
                Editing a comment
                Excellent advice!!

• Radar Dog
                Radar Dog commented
                Editing a comment
                Is English cut the picture on the bottom?

• Radar Dog
                Radar Dog commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks

You guys gave me some excellent info to work with. The ribs I have are short ribs but not as meaty as i would like. I had a hard time finding them in STL and have 4 bones that weigh 3.96LB. Thanks

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Have fun!

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                they plump when you cook them. think ballpark

Aaron Franklin recommends cooking plate ribs at a little higher temp, around 275 degrees. Helps render the fat/break down the collagen vs lower like 250 or 225. But not too hot or you might get a gamey flavor.

Last edited by Stevo; June 14, 2018, 05:15 PM.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                HorseDoctor commented
                Editing a comment
                One of the very few of Franklin’s comments I’ll take exception to. "Gamey" flavor is over cooked dry meat and does NOT come from the bone!!!

I'll have to try the Franklin method next time. As it is now I'm looking at perhaps 197F after 6 hours. Almost ready! I'll probe them soon. Once they comes out I'll cambro, and cook my carrots and polenta.

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                I picked up using hotsauce as a binder from him.

Well it sure was tasty. I love beef short ribs. The creamy polenta was a nice touch.

Name:	20180614_191038.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	516439

Comment

Dude! That's pretty!

I so enjoy cooking, and then sharing Beef Short Ribs! The only way I've found a whole plate is to buy them from the wholesaler. We get CAB Choice, and they are fantastic! I like to cook at 250, up to 275. They have a wonderful amount of fat, and I like to render that stuff well. I'll trim a little off the top if there is a fat layer more than just a little.

I find that the more marbled with fat ribs can handle bringing them to 205-210: the fat render is marvelous! I am so happy you enjoyed yours!

Comment

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  HEB, Super One, and Brookshires have them. you have to ask for a whole plate though. dont think they are up there that far north in LC though.

How do you guys eat leftover short ribs?

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Left overs?

• HorseDoctor
                  HorseDoctor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  When I do a 4 rib slab for the wife & I, there will be leftovers! I either "nuke" them or wrap in foil and pop in a warm oven. Could also SV them but I usually don't take the time...

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the advice. Yeah it was just the two of us. I wanted a second one but I wisely decided against it. No SV or microwave (I guess there IS one in the basement) so I'll throw them in the oven.

I get plate ribs from my butcher. I get shorties at the local grocery store. I dry brine for 24 hours, at least. I only use granulated garlic and black pepper for my rub. I take them from the fridge, put the "rub" on and straight on the smoker. I run the smoker around 250. I pull when probe tender. For a plate, that’s about 7 hours, for shorties about 5 hours, generally.

Name:	E4F35F4D-8867-426D-8DE2-298A76CE52A8.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	516586Click image for larger version

Name:	EE26D02F-F033-4500-9AD1-BE287C5AEC8B.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	516587Click image for larger version

Name:	528A5AAF-76A9-47A7-9219-DB41D778DD56.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	516588

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here