Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to Salt brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to Salt brisket

Hey guys, due to what dr. blonder said in his talk and after reading this website, I've always salted my brisket the night before and then put the rub on before it started to cook. I've seen some YouTubers say they preferred to put salt on with the rub because they feel like adding the salt will dry out the brisket. What's your experience with both methods?

I used to make my rubs with salt in them and put it on the night before. I ended up with gooey sludge for the rub. I didn’t notice that my meat was moister and the bark took much longer to firm up.

Now I dry brine for 24 hours before cooking, but don’t put the rub on until 5 minutes before going on the smoker. My brisket, ribs, pork shoulder all come out very moist with this method and really deep, awesome flavor. I’ll never go back to the old method.

Also, I’ve more or less stopped watched YouTubers on BBQ topics unless I happen to know them from this forum. From what I’ve seen, most of their "techniques" are just BBQ myth and legend.

Comment

• HJS
      HJS commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool. I've always done it your way being a new bbqer and all and getting most of my technique from reading this site. Never put salt in any of the home made rubs and always dry brined them the night before.

If hate to waste the prime brisket I just bought from Costco just to see what the difference is. I'll just take y'all's word for it.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      ole husbandstales. even with dalmation rub, salt goes on first 2 days before, pepper just before it kisses the smoke. Places like Franklins and such add it to the rub out of convience and apply just before adding it to the pit. The reason a lot old pitmasters said to add the rub the night before was actually because the salt would work its way into the meat, leaving behind the other elements.

I prefer a 2-3 day dry brine for briskets and butts. The salt-less rub goes on right before it goes in the smoker.

Comment

No way it dries out brisket, those are un- or under-informed folks saying that. Salt helps proteins hold onto moisture. Many think that because of a couple reasons- salt is used to pull out blood in kosher meats, and salt makes moisture appear on the surface initially, so the common thought is it pulls moisture out. But as Blonder explains that's only the initial reaction, the rest of the story is it helps it hold onto more moisture that's already in there, despite more "purge" in the package from salting ahead of time. Meat is 70% water, there's a LOT in there so give it some help to stay there. I'd give it at minimum 24hrs, but I'm a fan of 36-48.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Old school doctors used to also give pregnant women laudanum to calm their nerves. Science does NOT have to interfere with art, just makes it better.

• PaulstheRibList
        PaulstheRibList commented
        Editing a comment
        yes yes yes

First, never trust just one you tuber. And trusting many that say the same thing is iffy too. So many just repeat the tried and (not) true myths. Second, do as you did and come here. The info here is backed by science - not myth.

Salt penetrates about 1/2" a day from each side. So a 3" hunk o' meat would require a 3 days for complete penetration. And once the salt in the meat has been absorbed, the meat won't absorb any more. So if you use the correct amount of salt, you can't over brine.

That means that if you use the correct amount of salt on the thin end of a brisket, and the correct amount on the thick end, you should be fine brining for the proper time for the thick end.

Comment

salt a MINIMUM night before. if you can get it 2 days out, even better. Give the salt time to migrate into the internals of the brisket. Your injection should keep you from drying out.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree!!! I've done it "Franklin style", just before putting it in smoker too, but hard to argue with dry brine for 48 and black pepper (plus some Franks ) just before the heat...

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here