Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef ribs

I want to cook some beef ribs. I've gotten pretty much all the meat for my cooks at Costco. I've only seen beef ribs there that are already chopped. What stores do y'all go to to get beef ribs that are in a rack that's unchopped? Or do y'all go to a butcher? Or do y'all just cook them with each rib separated?
    I'm in Houston, TX, by the way.

I believe most of the places that have them cut will also have cryovac packs in the back that they cut them from. Just ask for those. Typically I'll get mine at whole foods or a local chain grocery with a butcher. Also have gotten them from butchers/ meat markets. Expect a pretty hefty discount when buying in a cryovac, as the butcher neither trimmed or cut. They are great no matter the way you cut them up. I suggest starting with the pre-cut shorties though.

Comment

I can't recommend a specific store, since I'm near Seattle. But I can tell you that I cannot find plates of beef ribs in the store or Costco. Although I can find shorties. So, I go to my local butcher. Not only does he carry plates, but he will trim them for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8369.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	400350Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8546.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	400351

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        TheCountofQ my local butcher is pretty awesome

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        HawkerXP willing to clean the house and mow the lawn?

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        I can drive a tractor and the wife can break everything else. Oooops, gota run,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Talk to someone, preferably the "chief" at the meat counter and ask for whole plate or chuck short ribs. I find it easiest to get them close to home and at a decent price by ordering a case at a time. If you don’t see what you want, just ask. Keep asking at different places until you get what you want. Sooner or later you will find someone who still believes in customer service and will help you out. Good luck.

Comment

If your local Costco puts them out as single bones, ask them how they come in, and if you can buy the plate whole. The head butcher at my local Costco is very nice and will cut some things to order if it comes in a large clod.

Comment

As some know here, I have had a dang dang time getting plate ribs down here in these parts. I'm very near Galveston. I finally ordered mine from Snake River Farms. Not a lot of folks in these parts cook plate ribs. I know Killen's does. There was a Pappasito's BBQ up in Houston that did before they burnt down.

Learn butchers speak. What you are wanting is NAMP 123A Beef Plate Ribs. As opposed to B, or C or D. These are from ribs 6 through 8. You can find the other cuts around here. I have had great luck getting to know my local HEB butcher. Have not ordered these ribs from him but many other cuts. Only do these up about once a year and it's getting close so I'll try him out. Last year I went whole hog trying to find these in our area and could not. Someone on here I recall said they could be had a a few Sam's, my Sams here in League City had no idea what they were.

Ask for NAMP 123A. If the butcher get's a gleam in his eye and says he'll be right back, then you will know.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m guessing that if you took a run up to Austin, you could get whole plates.

• lonnie mac
            lonnie mac commented
            Editing a comment
            You can get them in Austin, but not as easy as one may think. They are getting real popular here, but most butchers frown on them. My personal butcher for years here in Seabrook refuses to even cut them. Most places here that do cook them, source them out to places like Snake River Farms and others.

Thanks everyone! I'm gonna talk to the butcher, starting at Costco, and ask for NAMP 123A Beef Plate Ribs.

Comment

I get mine at Kroger’s

Comment

I love em. Just found a butcher about 45-minutes away that understands. He also regularly puts Tri Tip out! Wins for me.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Double Suh-Weet!!!

I have a friend that runs a dinner and he got me a box of beef ribs from his meat supplier and they look a lot like pork ribs with bigger bones, anyway we have not been that pleased with them. They were not what I was hoping for and we will be glad when the 10kg box is gone. They were cryogenic packed with two slabs to a package.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                HorseDoctor commented
                Editing a comment
                Bet those were back ribs, not plate or chuck "short ribs". Back ribs can be good but usually most of the meat goes with the boneless prime rib and little ends up on the back ribs. All about the $$$$!

Yum!!

Finally got some beef ribs! Going on the stick burner tomorrow although its supposed to be some pretty crappy wind and rain all day. We will see. These came

Comment

I should have attached a picture of the beef ribs we got from my friend that runs a dinner. Here is the finished product a lot of bone.Click image for larger version

Name:	D0E06234-AC0E-472E-9617-8E698069F3B3.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	400477
                Attached Files

Comment

This is a real benefit of opening a barbecue food truck and getting meat from suppliers on a large scale - I have Beef Ribs available all the time!

It is so super-duper fun to get folks to try one - they always love them!!! lonnie mac or any of my other regional friends, you are welcome to drive over anytime and grab some out of the big fridge!

Name:	IMG_3923.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	400486

Name:	IMG_3931.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	400485

Name:	IMG_3936.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	400483

Name:	IMG_4142.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	400484

Comment

• kmhfive
                  kmhfive commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'd buy that...

Over and over and over!!!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here