Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ready for my first chuck smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are using the chuck for chili, and you prefer your meat cubed, you can take it off anytime after 155 or so. You’ve got as much smoke flavor as it is gonna get, it’s fairly easy to cut up, and it will finish cooking in the chili. Course, if you are gonna shred it for the chili, that’s a whole different matter. :-)

Comment

• KevinG
      KevinG commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I didn't think of it from that angle. I just pulled the two smaller chucks and they were probe tender at 209. It's amazing, because at 205, they definitely were not.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Pulled beef is outstanding! Enjoy

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0406.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	395262Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0413.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	395263Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0412.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	395264Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0414.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	395265 Wrapped at 175-180. Nice color for what I wanted...

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I can taste it from the pictures!

• kmhfive
      kmhfive commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks perfect.

Pulled the two smaller chucks, then the smaller of the two larger at 209. I'm taking the largest to 205 for slices. I put on the rest of my poblano peppers, I'll be all set for anchos for chili Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0415.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	395286

Comment

That looks great. I've never tried a Chuck so should probably add one to my plan before it gets too cold around here.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Definitely try it out this year - you won't regret it.

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Chuck is the best DO IT

Beautiful so far

Comment

What was total cook time on the Chuckies?

Comment

• KevinG
          KevinG commented
          Editing a comment
          8 for the smalls and 9 for the larger. They tasted great, but not juicy enough to serve sliced. It was a learning experience. I'll need to account for carryover next time I guess. My briskets have been very juicy.Probably should have wrapped sooner and pulled a bit sooner, I'll be wrapping at155 to 160 next. They were moist but definitely not juicy, made great sandwiches that the family loved.

• kmhfive
          kmhfive commented
          Editing a comment
          KevinG , how long did you hold them in the Cambro? Chuckies need a lot of time still hot to really get the gelatin distributed and moist.

I'll be more discerning of the cuts I purchase next. I'll wrap sooner and pull sooner. The plan was to make some pepper cheese steaks tonight and leftovers for chili ...aka "philly " style sandwiches. They were awesome. Plus, I'll use the kettle next time with the SnS. I still think it cooks much better indirect with a true two zone fire. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0417.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	395371

Comment

Looks great! Easier to cook than brisket and very tasty.

Comment

I love making Philly cheese steak subs out of pulled chuckies Click image for larger version  Name:	DBDC3E9C-A82B-4F30-86CE-C3B6D62D3787.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.15 MB ID:	395400
            Last edited by DWCowles; October 15, 2017, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Looks like a success!

Comment

Wow those look awesome.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here