Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ready for my first chuck smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ready for my first chuck smoke

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171013_191424.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	394903 12 pounds of CAB chuck salted and in the meat fridge. 0415 wake-up set. It's drizzly here ,so I have decide to use the KJ Big Joe which I have under shelter. I'm excited. Had a glass of my best scotch and getting ready to turn in. I'm hoping to have the meat on by 0530 so I can then get a quick shower and head into my woods behind the house with my bow. It's archery deer season here in Pennsylvania.

I got totally skunked this morning with my bow. 1 mile hike in on public land to a spot I have gotten two deer at with multiple other sightings, NOTHING. Walk back was even longer.

Headed out in the morning.....can't wait for a north wind Monday morning, got a ridge top spot with rubs all over. Got a camera on a big cedar rub.

If you gonna pull the chucks take them HIGH and hold for at least a couple hours.

Comment

• KevinG
      KevinG commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, early season is tough. I don't get serious until late October at least here in my little spot. I only have less than an acre, but the property that is next to me is wooded flood plain and the deer are there. I can't move too much to avoid trespassing, so they need the deer to come to me and that happens during the rut.

No matter what happens, the Glenfiddich in the background will make it better.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Aye!
      Aye, it will!

This is going to be a good meal. Chuckies are great.

Comment

Lookin' forward to the finished pics.

Comment

You will love them

Comment

Great setup! Especially the 18-year old you got in the background.

Comment

Have you ever smoked any deer meat?

Comment

• KevinG
              KevinG commented
              Editing a comment
              I tried a neck roast, it was dry. No fat, so, the last time I tried a brief smoke for an hour or so, then I transferred to braising in a Dutch oven. That was better. I'd like to get an elk and then I'd have more meat to work with.
              Both of those cooks were my pre-AR and Pit days.

• HorseDoctor
              HorseDoctor commented
              Editing a comment
              Elk is not greatly different from deer. Tasty, but not the greatest fodder for the smoker (unless you're doing sausage with added fat).

Chucks are on, 227 steady with Click image for larger version

Name:	20171014_061241.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	395009 pecan wood chunks

Comment

Also smoking some red poblano and jalapeño from the garden, should have some nice Ancho and Chipotle to make Chili with the two little chucks. I have a crap load more poblano but I ran out of room. Click image for larger version

Name:	1507980390574.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	395016

Comment

That looks delicious, even over my first cuppa mud!!!
                Gonna make fer some awesome chili!

Comment

5 hours in. Stalled in the md 160s for now. I'm smokin some jalapeños and poblano as well, I've got more poblanos but I'm outa space. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0404.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	395109

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This is one situation where a hovergrill would be handy...
                    I got two of 'em. Very pleased!
                    Jus' sayin'.....

So, I'm hoping to get some slices outa these and some shredded. I'll wrap when I get a good bark, seems like that'll be around 180 or so. From reading other threads, sounds like they are usually probe tender above 205, but I'll be checking sooner.

Comment

Looking great so far!

Comment

Things are looking great. This is gonna be fun to see pulled and ready to serve.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here