Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami Woes

Hi All:

Well I ventured off into the world of pastrami and really need some guidance! Here is the scenario. I took a raw corned beef brisket about 7kg, ran water over it for a couple of hours and then soaked it in water for 12+ hours. Using a Cookshack SM150, I smoked the brisket over hickory wood at 225F. It was still far from tender after 12-14 hours. Also it was still as salty as the ocean. I am a beginner at this stuff, but when I have smoked a regular brisket it comes out as tender as butter after that amount of time. So then I plopped it into the oven and steamed it for 3 hours. It's still salty as heck and not tender. Now I am going to boil it until the salt level is acceptable and it's tender. I guess I am confused as to the proper way to do this pastrami thing. I saw Meathead's article of Katz's pastrami and my mouth was watering! Sooooo, first attempt ... FAIL! Any guidance I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John

When i soak mine i try to change the water every couple of hours

Comment

• customtrim
      customtrim commented
      Editing a comment
      What was the meat temp after you smoked it

Welcome buckhenry.. Welcome to the pit...never made pastrami so I can't help but welcome...

Comment

A hearty welcome from Illinois.

Comment

Hi there buckhenry and welcome to the Pit! First question ..... did you follow @Meathead's recipe fully? If not, where do you deviate it from it?

Also, here's a thread with someone else trying to do exactly what you are trying to do: Turn store corned beef into pastrami. Might be some helpful tips and pointers in here for you.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Sure, but it is hard to know where the issue is if we don't know how the corned beef was prepped in the first place.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          customtrim I would bet that 1. It wasn't soaked long enough and not enough water changes and 2. It wasn't smoked long enough.

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          ecowper I would have to agree with you. 7kg of corned beef is going to have a huge amount of salt in it compared to the 4-5 pounders I'm used to smoking. For one that big, I would probably have used a 5 gallon bucket to soak it in.

Even though you joined some time ago, we'd still love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. Thank you.

Comment

1. I would change the water at least 3-4 times over a 12 hour period

2. I would NOT cook based on time. Just because another piece of meat took that long don't think for a second you have a clone. Especially with briskets aka "the kings of inconsistency."

Comment

buckhenry, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! Enjoy "The Pit"!
            Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome buckhenry

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome buckhenry

Comment

Welcome aboard!!! buckhenry

Comment

Wow, thanks a million for all the welcomes! It's a pleasure to be here and to practice and learn from amateurs and pros alike. I tried to follow Meatheads recipe exactly, but after 16 hours or so the meat had only reached about 185F. The difference in how this salted brisket cooked compared to a plain brisket surprised me. Meathead further described that Katz's finishes off with boiling, so I think I will have to so that to remove more salt and to tenderize. Thanks for all the responses folks.

Comment

I will get back to ya'll with an introduction of myself after I get this thing boiled!

Comment

As far as an introduction, I am a outdoor grill and "smoking" enthusiast from Nova Scotia. As with most from the North, we are a hardy bunch who BBQ throughout the year regardless of ice and snow. I also operate a small, 100 seat restaurant and feature a few of smoked items on the menu. www.roadsidewillies.com.

Comment

• tbob4
                            tbob4 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Really nice website for your restaurant.

• Danjohnston949
                            Danjohnston949 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            buckhenry, As tbob4 said you have a Nice Web Site and it Looks Like Great Food! I have been everywhere except the Maritime Provinces?
                            From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here