Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friend goofed and bought corned beef brisket instead of regular brisket, question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friend goofed and bought corned beef brisket instead of regular brisket, question...

As the title says, my friend is having a housewarming party on Friday and bought me a brisket to smoke for the party. He showed up this evening with a corned beef brisket - yikes! Is it pointless to attempt to smoke this thing as I would a regular brisket? Worst case scenario is I head to the store tomorrow morning and pick up a regular brisket and forget the corned beef one. Is that the best option?

Anyone here ever smoked a corned beef brisket? How'd it turn out?

Pastrami! Or if you don't have time for the rub, it will be Montreal smoked meat.

Comment

Yes. I had the misfortune of buying one because I could not find an affordable brisket. So I took it out, rubbed it and smoked it. It turned out terrible. Saltier than you could imagine. I posted it and everyone chimed in. They all said it would have salvageable and good. The advice I received: Soak it for 24 hours in water and rinse after. Then you can treat it (kind of) like a brisket. Because it has been cured, you are going to get a lot of advice on what the outcome will be. Mine sliced well and took much less time to get to temp.
      Last edited by tbob4; February 22, 2017, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Just soak it overnight and apply Meathead's pastrami rub the next morning. Smoked it to 175 and wrap in foil until it reaches 200 F. Cambro it for 2 hrs and enjoy.

I soaked my in distilled water.

Comment

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          Totally agree.

Thank you for the quick responses! Alright, I guess I'll give this a whirl. Soak in water overnight, apply liberal salt/pepper (as I would a normal brisket) and smoke? I may run to the store in the morning to grab a proper brisket so I can throw it on the smoker in addition to this one as I'm a bit nervous how the corned beef one might turn out -- don't want to risk bringing a dud to the party.

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't add salt.

Your friend didn't goof, he put you on the road to Pastramiville!!

Comment

Ok, I feel a bit more confident after reading the Pastrami link, thanks Jerod. I'll let you know how it goes. Meat is now soaking -- this should be interesting!

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            Senator Pig you don't have to let the rub set on the meat for 2-3 days I have try it both ways and I like putting the rub on and straight to the smoker. Also if you do what I post above you don't have to steam it.

• bbqoaf
            bbqoaf commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with DWCowles completely, I just take it to 203 like a regular Texas brisket and serve, no need to rest or steam.

I would still by a brisket and cook both. An ace up the sleeve

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Totally agree! There are bound to be fans of both.

I agree with Nuke, go get a brisket so you will have a back up in case this doesn't work out. Worse case is you will have a lot of meat left over for later. Nothing wrong with leftovers.

Comment

Absolutely DO NOT ADD SALT

cut a small piece off when you think it's done soaking and cook it to see if you got enough salt out of it. i made the mistake of not checking and one of mine turned out WAY TOO SALTY.

other than that it smokes nicely

Comment

You have stumbled upon making the best recipe on the site (Pastrami). Follow the instructions in MH's pastrami recipe and you will not be disappointed!

Comment

After making the pastrami:

Make it festive. Get some good rye bread, layer on some natural sauerkraut, the sliced pastrami, and some good swiss cheese, and make or buy some russian dressing and add that. Then top with the other piece of bread. If you have a cast iron pan or a griddle, put it on the grill and weight down the sandwiches, flipping once, until the bread is "toasted". Oh My!

If you don't have any kind of "culinary weight" (cast iron pan works), you can wrap a couple of bricks in foil to do it.

I actually gave my brother a Reuben kit like the above for his B'Day one year.

I'll forward my address so you know where to send the sample!
                Last edited by EdF; February 23, 2017, 02:15 PM.

Comment

• lschweig
                  lschweig commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Never thought about russian dressing as I have always had and used thousand island dressing.

Part of the secret is to perfectly grill the bread. Yum.

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, either will do the job. It's the fresh kraut that makes it. Though, now that I think of it, thousand island is probably a bit better! ;-)

Soaked the brisket in cold water overnight, switching the water out a couple times and replacing with fresh water. Added no additional salt but a generous amount of black pepper.

The brisket has been on the smoker for the last 8 hours, crutched it about 6 hours in. Right now it's at about 180 and, oddly enough, smells just like brisket (when it was raw there was a clear pastrami smell to it). The further into the smoke I get, the more confident I am about how it will turn out - hopefully I'm not being deceived!

Cold night in Oregon tonight. It's 38F outside right now, overnight low 33F, so once I pull the brisket off the smoker when it hits 205 I'm probably going to let it sit outside to cool down overnight (keeping it in the foil), then I'll throw it in the oven when I wake up to get it up to about 160 or so before the party. My friend insists we should steam it instead - would that be the better option?

Comment

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You can do it either way...oh it had a pastrami smell to it because it is pastrami 😊

I would keep smoking until probe tender and then faux cambro. As for the friend's advice, I would politely disregard. Call it Pitmaster prerogative. I like my friends, but I trust the members of The Pit a whole lot more when it comes to cooking outdoors.

Comment

Hope it turns out Just Great!!!
                  Didn't respond before ya' got it inta th' water, or I'da went with:
                  Buy another brisket
                  Save this one fer St Patrick's Day!!!
                  Best of Luck

Sláinte !!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here