Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General brisket question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General brisket question

Who all here separates the point from the flat BEFORE they throw the brisket on the smoker?

Is there a significant difference to it than keeping them together for the smoke? I know you can get double the bark since it is more surface area but does it drop the cooking time much at all?

Always! No and No. Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

I don't. I like to keep in intact because a big hunk o meat looks impressive to the guests. It looks like "A brisket" instead of pieces of a brisket.

Comment

I typically cook mine whole and then separate the point when the flat is done to my preference. I typically use the point for burnt ends, so I take it off, cube it, and throw it in a pan with some sauce and rub and then put it back on for an hour or two. I like having a little contrast to the texture of my burnt ends. The side where the point is cut off the flat provides some surface area that hasn't built up bark.

Comment

• cwain8845
          cwain8845 commented
          Editing a comment
          That is normally would I do except I seperate prior to the cook.

I smoke whole and then separate for burnt ends as the others do. I do like that presentation right off the smoker of the whole packer, "HERE'S THE BEEF" like Huskee.

Comment

I always smoked briskets whole...

Comment

I much prefer to cook whole. My experience cooking less than a packer has never been good.

Comment

It's fun to cook them separated. It does yield more delicious bark, and we all know that's super great!

However, I very rarely cook them separated.

My system recently has been to do a heavy trim of the fat between them but not go all the way to separation. However, I think I may separate more often now that I'm typing this out...on the big briskets!

I so love the idea of the "Burnt Ends", however the reality of sliced point is so great, that it is my favorite part of the brisket. I love serving absolutely decadent slices of Point, with only a 1/4 inch of fat on the outside and the same amount on the trim between the point and flat, and have the fat all up in that point really well rendered. Yes!!!

cwain8845 I recommend you try it both ways and post back on this thread with the results of each!

Comment

• cwain8845
                cwain8845 commented
                Editing a comment
                I will be smoking a 13 lb brisket Saturday and I will report back on that one. Will do it separate on Saturday and the next brisket I do I will smoke whole.

• PaulstheRibList
                PaulstheRibList commented
                Editing a comment
                Excellent!

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I totally agree. Sliced point is pure heaven. It far far far outweighs burnt ends in my humble opinion.

I usually smoke briskets whole. I have done just the flat before in a PBC and it turned out good.

Comment

I've always cooked them whole, but I found an enormous 22 lb packer and decided to try separation because it was so huge. They are both curing for pastrami right now, I'll let the Pit know how it compares to cooking one whole.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow! Beast.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here