Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri Tip Success!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri Tip Success!

Hello Pit Masters,

Well, I broke down and purchased a Costco membership, mainly for easy access to USDA Prime beef. I purchased a 2lb prime tri tip Friday for my first tri tip cook in my recently purchased Camp Chef PG24 DLX pellet smoker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2119.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	234794

Name:	IMG_2121.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	234793

I dry brined the TT with 1tsp kosher salt Friday evening, with a plan to cook it Saturday afternoon. Saturday at cook time, I rubbed it with Meatheads' Mrs O' Learys Cow Crust Rub. That stuff is great for beef! Loved it. I made the paste as per Meathead's recipe and slathered it on the roast. I made a 1/4 recipe of the cow crust, which worked great for the 2lb TT:

Name:	IMG_2120.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	234797Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2122.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	337.7 KB
ID:	234796

I recently bought "The Wood Pellet Smoker & Grill Cookbook" by Peter Jautaikis, and I followed his smoked tri tip process: I smoked it for 1 hour on the PG24 "low smoke" setting, which is actually a high smoke setting, but at ~160 degrees. So it is a low temp - high smoke mode. I used mesquite pellets. After one hour the IT of the tri tip was 87 degrees. I then bumped the smoker temp up to 325 and cooked it another 30 minutes until the IT 125:

Name:	IMG_2126.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	381.5 KB
ID:	234795

Next I moved it to the Weber Gensis on Warp 10 and finished up to ~140:

Name:	IMG_2129.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	234799Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2130.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	234798

The TT came out great! Nice smokey nose/flavor, tender and juicy!!! YUM!

Name:	IMG_2132.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	234800

Name:	IMG_2131.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	234803

Also made a chimichurri too, from thetritipguy.com, which was very tasty too!

Name:	IMG_2133.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	342.4 KB
ID:	234804
    Attached Files

sorry about duplicate pics...i struggle with the interface for adding pictures...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, me too... Nice Pics of yer cook, though! Thanks fer sharin'!

Looks great!

Comment

Wow! Looks great. I love chimichurri. That looks like it came out of a Brazilian steak house.

Comment

Beautiful cook. Making me jealous. I'm just doing burgers tonight. they should be good though, I ground them up myself. But I'd still take the tri tip any day.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          JCBBQ also just realized. Which Steve me or Stevo?

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I think I got so excited that someone near me found tri tip that I didn't realize it wasn't you who started this post 😀 Ooooh I definitely want to take you up on a field trip to view your LSG!

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          JCBBQ Cool did you get my # You can give me a call.

Thanks all. This was my first tri tip that really came out excellent. I attribute it to all the great knowledge on this site.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, there's that, plus th' fact that yer awesome!!! ;-)

Nice cook!

Being from Central California, I've always had an affinity for tri tip. Like you, I discovered the prime cuts at Costco. We use Meathead's BBBR and smoke it on the Weber rotisserie over 2/3 oak & 1/3 apple for about 40 minutes and then sear it to finish if off. It's a great cut of meat.

Comment

Don't you just love/hate Costco. I have a prime brisket and two prime tri-tips pre-rubbed in the fridge today. The brisket is for a potluck at work tomorrow, one tri-tip is for tonight and the other is for guests coming over tomorrow. If it weren't for Costco I would have brought chips and dip to the pot luck, had pizza for dinner tonight and told the guests to eat before they arrived tomorrow.

Comment

That Tri-Tip looks outstanding! Great job ... TT is my favorite cook, bar none.

I actually buy the two pack of choice Tri-Tip at Costco and find that if you dry brine for 3-4 hours and cook them slow (like you did) they turn out fantastic. I haven't noticed enough difference that I buy the Prime anymore. Costco's Choice is quite a bit better, I've noticed, than Kroger's Choice, though.

Comment

I plan on grabbing a Costco two pack and cooking them up for our neighborhood Halloween party!

Comment

I love when you look at a piece of beef and there a sooo many lines of fat lined up for ultimate goodness.

Great job!!

Comment

Beautiful !! I love chimichurri sauce too !!

Comment

You'll be happy with your membership. And you'll make the money up quickly if your buying meat in any kind of quantity. Plus most of it is available in PRIME!

Comment

Very nice Tri Tip. Looks Great!!

Comment

Looks delicious... wish I had a Costco in my area.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here