Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SnS as a wood smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SnS as a wood smoker?

Doing a couple of 1-1/2" thick ribeyes tonight on the Weber with the SnS. I'm thinking about loading up the SnS with a mix of wood and then adding a handful of lit briquettes (maybe 10 - 15) just to get the wood going. Once the wood is going I'm not planning to add anymore charcoal, going to cook with just wood.

Has anyone ever tried this, using the SnS with pretty much just wood? Any thoughts on whether it'll work or not?

That sounds like a lot of smoke for those steaks. I do just the opposite by tossing a handful moist wood chips on the coals just before putting the steaks on. Do a low and slow then reverse sear. Too much smoke might cover the beef flavor a bit.

Comment

I'd go for it!

Just play the vents good 'n' proper...

BTW what wood(s)? Makes a difference, ya' see?

Comment

• ribeyeguy
        ribeyeguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Mainly Pecan with a bit of Hickory and Mesquite.

Give it a shot. Let the rest of us know how it goes. It's for science. :-)

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        What He said!

If you are smoking with just wood you shouldn't be playing with any vents. All systems WIDE OPEN for max airflow.

Comment

What Jerod Broussard said. When you are cooking with wood, you want a hot fire to get clean, sweet smoke.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Here, hold my beer and watch this!

• Atalanta
          Atalanta commented
          Editing a comment
          ecowper - Famous last words LOL

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Atalanta if it's for science, and it involves someone holding my beer and watching, it's gonna happen! ;-)

Hey ribeyeguy I have only used my SNS a couple of times so my input may not be the best. But my thoughts are - with all wood you may have to keep the vents open more than you want to keep the wood from smoldering. Giving you that bad smoke. That might make the temps alot higher than you want.
        Also I did a similar size ribeye about 2 weeks ago using Stubbs lump brickettes and 1 3oz wood chunk. It did produce a fairly heavy smoke flavor. So using all wood will probably give it a extremely heavy smoke taste.
        Hey give it a go and see what happens.
        Let us know how it turns out.
        Maybe David Parrish will chime in. He should know it's his product.

Comment

I definitely don't think this is putting the SnS to its best use. The problems, to me at least, are limited airflow, the need to keep removing the lid to add wood, and the fact that the wood won't burn as hot as charcoal for searing. It could be made to work, but that's kind of doing it the hard way. Interesting concept, so go ahead and prove me wrong!

Comment

• ribeyeguy
            ribeyeguy commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh I agree, it's definitely not the best use of the SnS, it's a simple experiment. I don't think I'll need to add wood if I start out with a basket full. Getting it and keeping it hot enough is going to be tricky, agreed.

It's going to be an interesting cook for sure! I'd get the wood super fired up then front sear. Once they have the color you want let them rest on a plate for a minute or two, then move to the indirect side. Resting on the plate will help reduce tan banding. Use the cracked lid method to keep the fire hot while keeping the indirect side at a reasonable temperature. Flip them every two to three minutes until they hit your final desired temp. As long as the indirect side is 350 F or less while you're warming the steaks to temp I'd be happy.

Comment

• ribeyeguy
            ribeyeguy commented
            Editing a comment
            Hadn't considered front searing them. If I do that I'm assuming there's no end or reverse sear then, just get them up to temp on the indirect side and that's it?

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep that's it.

Jon Solberg did some all wood cooks with the SnS and if I'm not mistaken I think he did pork chops.

Comment

Any idea how they turned out?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              He's still living. I'd say a pork chop can handle smoke better than a steak for my taste.

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed with the pork chop ... but who knows? It's an interesting experiment.

Getting ready:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161002_160421.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	226590

Comment

SnS loaded up before the charcoal:

Name:	IMG_20161002_161030.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	226593

Comment

He also done chicken, pork ribs and other stuff but he said they didn't turn out very good because there wasn't enough air flow.

Comment

• ribeyeguy
                  ribeyeguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Fairly windy day here so that might help.

Charcoal added:

Name:	IMG_20161002_161839.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	226597

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here