Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Troutman's Texas Red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Troutman I finally had the opportunity to make this and you hit it out of the park.

Made this last night and then gently reheated today in crock pot. Garnished with a smidge of sour cream, diced onion, cheddar cheese, and fresh jalapeño poppers. Was fantastic. Many thanks for sharing this delicious recipe. Has made it on "The to be cooked again" list in near future.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow and poppers to boot, outstanding !!!!

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      Forgot to add it had bacon bits for croutons too!

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      What a great tip.. Thanks!
      And yes, it sure does look good!

Yesterday I entered into my first chili contest using "Troutman’s Texas Red" recipe. I followed the recipe pretty close and took home the winner! It was a small contest but I do think the recipe is a winner. Troutman, thanks for sharing the recipe!
    Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Congrats, Amigo!!!

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      Congratulations! And that trophy has some presence to it!

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      Outstanding! Congratulations!

How the F*** did this thread slip under my radar Troutman ??
    Last edited by Elton's BBQ; October 2, 2021, 09:47 AM.

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      You and me both Elton's BBQ

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too!

Thanks for bringing this back up dirtman . I meant to try this , but forgot. And thanks Troutman for posting this.

Comment

Cool, cool, cool dirtman ! Cool Mazing Wibs! Cool Troutman !

Comment

I made this last night, and all I can say is Thanks. My new favorite chili. I thought this was going to be face melting hot with the whole can of chipotles and cayenne, but figured I would try it anyway. We are not afraid of some heat. Came out with perfect heat, and such a great taste. I will be doing this again, soon. Made it with a side of corn pudding, and looking forward to heating up some leftovers.

Comment

Originally posted by Old_Bikes View Post
          I made this last night, and all I can say is Thanks. My new favorite chili. I thought this was going to be face melting hot with the whole can of chipotles and cayenne, but figured I would try it anyway. We are not afraid of some heat. Came out with perfect heat, and such a great taste. I will be doing this again, soon. Made it with a side of corn pudding, and looking forward to heating up some leftovers.
          I agree great stuff! I made a six batch over the weekend. I spent about 3-4 hours cooking it. It was fully cooked so I put in the fridge overnight awaiting a kiss of smoke the next day. Unfortunately, something shifted in the refrigerator and when I went to retrieve it the door was open and the product 60 degrees. Hopefully the deer got a full belly! Lesson learned, I ordered fridge and freezer monitors with wifi and notification.
          Attached Files

Comment

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            Heartbreaking!

• Old_Bikes
            Old_Bikes commented
            Editing a comment
            So sorry to hear that!

• Draznnl
            Draznnl commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m so sorry for you. Lesson learned here. Monitor ordered for the fridge.

That's just terrible. After all that work! I hope you are ready to give another batch a try. I feel your pain, and it's not a good feeling.

I had to toss a triple batch of beef stroganoff one year because daughter's extra fridge was not working well and no one knew it until it was too late for the stroganoff to survive.

You probably already know this, but even if the fridge door had not popped open, it would have been a good idea to make sure that the chili was not super hot when you put it in the fridge. Big batches of food like that can heat up the fridge pretty quickly. As I said, you probably already know this, but a lot of people are not aware of how quickly a large batch of hot food can heat up a refrigerator and its other contents.

I usually divide big batches like that among several Pyrex 3-quart rectangular glass storage containers and let them sit for a bit to cool. Then I put them in the fridge, covered, with large freezer gel packs above and below each container to keep the food from heating up the fridge.

This overnight storage method takes up a lot of room, but the food cools really quickly and the rest of the food in the fridge stays at a safe temperature level. The next day, the gel packs go back in the freezer, and we get to enjoy the food, knowing that it was safely chilled.

I also try to split the hot food containers between the two refrigerators we have so one doesn't have to take on all the heat load.

Just FWIW.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; October 26, 2021, 07:58 AM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for sharing.

This dish has definitely crawled up my to-do list. I've started to use those Muir Glen fire-roasted tomatoes in things and I have fallen in love with them. They are great so I can't wait to try them in this chili.

Comment

This is going down in T-Man's so-called "chili"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trouts red.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	1116101

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Don’t forget the pineapple!

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Mike, where’s the corn?

• Murdy
              Murdy commented
              Editing a comment
              And the macaroni noodles?

One year late to this whole post. You mentioned Waxahachie, Texas in the OP. That's where Clint Dempsey ⚽️ is from, so it must be OK.

Comment

Can the recipe be written up so we can easily populate Paprika? 🤣🤣🤣🍻🍻🍻

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                I just tried it with Paprika and it worked just fine as is.

• SheilaAnn
                SheilaAnn commented
                Editing a comment
                Troutman dude!!! 😂😂

Troutman its been a while since I made this, but yesterday I slapped together a crock pot full of this recipe, with the heat level dialed down, at my wife's request. I will admit to corrupting it with Rancho Gordo pintos, but the main question I had was this.

After it was cooking for 6-7 hours in a crock pot (I browned everything in my Lodge skillet), I gave it a taste, and felt something was lacking. I had the daughter who was there taste, and we both agreed it needed salt. I added a tablespoon, which seemed like a reasonable amount for 6 quarts of chili, and it was just right.

I just doubled checked the recipe in Paprika this morning to make sure I didn't miss anything, and sure enough there is no salt in the recipe. I did sprinkle salt and pepper on the stew meat and ground meat while browning, but apparently not enough. The only thing I can think of is that the Tony C's, which I left out of the browning of the meat, because the wife wanted the spice level dialed down, must have a lot of salt in it? In the past I used that or Slap Yo Mama (even spicier than Tony C's), and the wife thought things were too spicy.

Does that sound right - should I have added salt if leaving out that tablespoon of Tony C's in the recipe? Or is this intentionally low sodium?

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                The Tony C's has a lot of salt in it, so if leaving that out then you need to add salt. I probably use at least two tablespoons in mine. You can add salt at any point during the cooking process with the seasonings to adjust to your taste. Same with black pepper. I actually just made it over the weekend as well. I added some additional poblano peppers for more earthiness. I may add a note to adjust seasonings to taste, that's always an option.

• Murdy
                Murdy commented
                Editing a comment
                For the record, Tony C's is about 60% salt, so one tablespoon would contain nearly 2 teaspoons of salt

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Troutman and Murdy. Needing a tablespoon of salt in the pot at the end makes sense now, knowing how much salt is in the Tony C's. I also added a little garlic powder and ground white pepper (it was handy) to taste at the end as well. Folks (son in law and myself) could add jalapeños and hot sauce to the bowl easier than the girls could handle something overly spicy.

Troutman I have the PK rolling and batch of your delicious Troutman’s Texas Red cooking. Gonna be lots of love here in Western Kansas for this after my buddies and I get done pounding the ground for opening of Pheasant Season! Thanks again for this delicious recipe.

Sweaty Paul
              Attached Files

Comment

• bbqLuv
                bbqLuv commented
                Editing a comment
                What no beans?
                I like and mama makes chili con carne with beans.
                Let me add, I never turn down Chili.

• Sweaty Paul
                Sweaty Paul commented
                Editing a comment
                bbqLuv just following the recipe and there are no beans in the recipe. That said, this is a delicious recipe and worth following to the letter! 😃😃. I’m not opposed to beans, just not in this one! 😉😃

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here