Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

This summer's 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis IS OFFICIALLY RESCHEDULED FOR March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info here!
See more
See less

Huskee's Rib Rub Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smokin'Rick
    commented on 's reply
    You're welcome. Truly deserved praise!

• Dewesq55
    replied
    You da man, Huskee! You rub butts, breasts and thighs! OMG!

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Wow that's very high praise, thank you Rick!

Leave a comment:

• Smokin'Rick
    replied
    Huskee, you’ve got something here man! This rub is EXCELLENT!!!! Do you here the echo? You are correct; it does have a wonderfully perfect balance between spicy, savory, salty and sweet. I followed your instructions to the letter. The ribs were smoked for 6 hours in my Weber Performer charcoal grill without using the “crutch”. My son and his girlfriend joined my wife and me for dinner. And all of us were in agreement that they tasted fantastic thanks to the rub. A lot of lip smacking, mmmms, and yumms were heard during dinner. And oh, the luscious smells that filled the house were equally incredible. My wife heated up some store bought BBQ sauce for use on the side but none of us used any because the combination of your rub and the application of the additional dark brown sugar was all that was needed. We applaud you! My son’s girlfriend exclaimed that from now on whenever anyone says they’re going out for ribs she’ll say “Nah, no comparison.” I have to say as much as I enjoy MMD, your rub will become my go to rub going forward. The flavor profile seems very versatile too. Thanks for sharing your recipe with The Pit community. Here are a few photos from Saturday's cook. Enjoy!

Prepped with Huskee's rub & additional dark brown sugar and ready to be smoked!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1266.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	53979

Done! Ready to cut & serve
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1273.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	53980

Cut and ready for eating. Check out that smoke ring baby!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1275.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	53981
    Last edited by Smokin'Rick; January 19, 2015, 02:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I await your brutal honesty!

• Smokin'Rick
    commented on 's reply
    Excellent! I look forward to trying it and giving you the feedback.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    It might, I've never really taste tested. I also have done both for the topper and personally I don't notice a difference. Just sweet.

• Huskee
    replied
    Originally posted by Smokin'Rick View Post
    Yes, full. But I'll be trimming them down to St Louis cut. OK then, I'll double it just to be sure. I have both light & dark brown. I was just wondering if the dark gave them a more "molasses-y" profile/taste rather than sweet. I take it that it can be stored without the brown sugar clumping because it's been pulverized after drying?
    Yes, as long as it's sealed air tight. I store mine in a shaker bottle but it will get a little clumpy after a while. The main batch I store in a ziplock rolled up like a burrito and burped of air (my version of vacuum packing), and it holds up very well like that.

Leave a comment:

• Smokin'Rick
    replied
    Yes, full. But I'll be trimming them down to St Louis cut. OK then, I'll double it just to be sure. I have both light & dark brown. I was just wondering if the dark gave them a more "molasses-y" profile/taste rather than sweet. I take it that it can be stored without the brown sugar clumping because it's been pulverized after drying?

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I missed that you were doing your ham with HRR. Allspice and no cumin? How'd it turn out?

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Did you ever do the comparison Mike? What was/is your opinion?

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Are you talking full spares or St Louis cut? I would suspect it would be enough. I would double it though to be safe. It's great on chicken too.

I use whichever I have in the cupboard for the brown sugar, I don't notice much difference honestly. I guess whichever color profile you think looks best!

• Smokin'Rick
    replied
    Huskee, I'm going to give your rib rub a whirl on the spare ribs I'm smoking this Saturday. Are you using light or dark brown sugar? Will the "small batch" be enough to cover 3 slabs? Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks oldsteve, glad you liked it!

• oldsteve
    replied
    Did a 8# boneless pork shoulder (From Costco) on New Years day using Huskee's rub. I used my Yoder YS640 to do the cook. I decided to try something different by following the temperatures that I recorded for the last pork butt I did on my PBC. The first hour temp 375. Turned down temp to 300 starting second hour. Third hour set at 250 for the rest of the cook. Foiled at 169 (stall) and finished at 203. Total time, 7hours 15 minutes. This is several hours less than my previous cooks on the Yoder at 225, which I knew it would be. The guests said that this was the best pulled pork I've made. Kudos to Huskee's rub!
    Mr. Meathead was right: Pork shoulder is a very forgiving piece of meat. I was going to cut the pork shoulder in half before cooking as suggested by many of you, but I was to lazy to hogtie two of them with butcher twine!

oldsteve

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

This summer's 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis IS OFFICIALLY RESCHEDULED FOR March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info here!
See more
See less
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Meat-Up in Memphis