Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huskee's Rib Rub Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWCowles
    replied
    I haven't try Huskee's rib rub yet. I never think about it at the time I'm preparing the ribs Sorry Huskee I will try to use it when i do my next rib cook.

Leave a comment:

• Dutchness
    replied
    My bad. No worries though. It's fun exploring.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Originally posted by Dutchness View Post
    I have tried your rub Huskee. Surprisingly it was too spicy.

I then made it again and halved the chili, added some mustard powder, allspice and paprika. It came out pretty good. However I find it really hard to notice the different spices once they have turned into a bark Not sure if I prefer this rub or Mephis Dust. Will keep on trying until I have an answer
    Thanks for trying. I do however state in the main post that if you skip the extra brown sugar topper that it can end up being too spicy or too salty. It's created to be fairly balanced.

Leave a comment:

• Dutchness
    replied
    I have tried your rub Huskee. Surprisingly it was too spicy.

I then made it again and halved the chili, added some mustard powder, allspice and paprika. It came out pretty good. However I find it really hard to notice the different spices once they have turned into a bark Not sure if I prefer this rub or Mephis Dust. Will keep on trying until I have an answer

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    that caramelized sugar sounds like a worthwhile project for replacing the white sugar in MMD and Husky Rub (if it's there... I haven't checked the recipe).

• Dutchness
    commented on 's reply
    On the ingredient list it says E150 Caramel for coloring.

Way more brown sugars available in the US than here.

• Voltron15
    replied
    They are not talking about BBQ but here are two interesting articles from Serious Eats about sugar. One talks about white vs. brown and the other about how cooking sugar at low temps changes it.

Leave a comment:

• CurlingDog
    replied
    tons of different types of brown are available...light brown, dark brown, Demerara, turbinado and of course British muscovado... its all determined by the percentage of molasses.

Leave a comment:

• Dutchness
    replied
    Brown sugar in Holland doesn't contain Molasses but caramel to get the brown color.

I could still use the brown instead of the white yes

Leave a comment:

• CurlingDog
    replied
    Dutchness The brown adds a flavor layer that you don't get with the white. The color is from molasses. Short the white. Keep the brown.

Leave a comment:

• Dutchness
    replied
    I am about to make the rub. I will skip the step of using the layer of brown sugar since I don't like my ribs to be too sweet. That would leave me with 1/4 cup of white sugar left. Why would I use white over brown sugar?

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Anytime.

Kathryn

• Dutchness
    replied
    Thanks Kathryn.

Leave a comment:

• mhalbrook
    replied
    Looks quite similar to mine, I blend my own chili powder from several of those 1 oz ground chillies. Gonna have to try the brown sugar coat at the end of my next rib cooking. When ever that is..

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Dutchness , you may want to look at Meathead's salt discussion here. You'll never go wrong with any salt if you use weight instead of volume.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here