Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

This summer's 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis IS OFFICIALLY RESCHEDULED FOR March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info here!
See more
See less

Huskee's Rib Rub Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Bout to rock a pre-salted, pre-smoked (trimmed again), ham's world in the Pit Barrel with this stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Originally posted by Dr ROK View Post
    Huskee, you mention not to use with enhanced pork. Unfortunately, that's the only thing I can get around here. How would you adjust the amount of salt if you had to use enhanced pork?
    Have you cooked that same pork before? Is it salted plenty when you eat it w/o adding your own? If so, just use it saltless and maybe add just a little dusting of salt with the rub to the surface. You'd have to play it by ear so as not to oversalt.

Leave a comment:

• Dr ROK
    replied
    Huskee, you mention not to use with enhanced pork. Unfortunately, that's the only thing I can get around here. How would you adjust the amount of salt if you had to use enhanced pork?

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Originally posted by Ernest View Post
    Now is that whole sugar cookie necessary?
    People like to ask about that, ha ha. If you spoon your rub on or are only making a small batch and will use it right up, then no. I like to dry it out and grind it up because that makes it all dry and powdery and it won't clump in the shaker I use. Clumps in the shaker can clog the holes causing more salt to get through and ruin the rub by throwing of the balance. Using a spoon from a bowl or a bag would eliminate this as a concern. I've just posted what I do since it's what I do.

Leave a comment:

• Ernest
    replied
    Looks like my rub except I do not measure, I use chipotle powder instead of cayenne, toasted cumin seeds then ground (try this Huskee) and Mace.

Now is that whole sugar cookie necessary?

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I'd give it a slight sprinkle of surface salt. I thought it was sweet & bland when I tried it the no salt & dry brine way.

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Originally posted by Huskee View Post

Sounds like a plan JB. It is excellent on chicken if I do say so myself, but I too wondered about the sweetness on a turkey, although it really isn't SWEET, it just helps counteract the saltiness for a good balance....which is good since turkey historically isn't supposed to be sweet. It sure helps the skin with the maillard though. It might be a touch salty if you reduce the sugar too much, but please keep me updated!

Don't worry, no salt is going in the rub. The fresh turkey was brined in a 5% solution, so I might give it a touch of brining over night.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Originally posted by HC in SC View Post
    Looks good Huskee - that is one of the finest looking birds I have seen! I'll make a small batch and try on ribs and chicken this week and will give you honest feedback. Neither me, my wife or any of the people dinig with us were really blown away by the S&G on chicken - I used some fat split breasts as a dry run for a turkey and glad I did. Since no one was really happy with it I am thinking maybe I hose the recipe somewhere. I might have left out the sugar, but I am going for a different rub for the turkey this year and your rub looks good. I really was hoping not just fall back on Tony Chachere's - needed to mix it up a bit and the sweetness in your recipe sounds like the ticket. I will do the dry brine with the salt in the rub as you suggest and report back next week when done. This definitely gives me a couple ideas to break the PBC in when it arrives next Friday. 😀
    Thanks a lot HC! For ribs I highly recommend following the technique in the top post. For chicken or pork butts I don't bother with extra brown sugar on top. With chicken, if the brining causes too much rub to melt off, I shake more on when placing in the smoker. I can't remember if the above says that or not (too lazy to scroll up, lol).

I've never done this on turkey, so i don't know if it will throw off the whole traditional turkey flavor or it would be a huge hit. I do know it is my family's favorite way to do chicken though....

I eagerly await your honest feedback. Even if you hate it, tell me I won't be offended.
    Last edited by Huskee; November 24, 2014, 11:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
    I'm going to modify this for my turkey. Wife does not like the S & G. Step-niece is allergic to the soy in Tony's. I'll reduce the sugar content and roll with it.
    Sounds like a plan JB. It is excellent on chicken if I do say so myself, but I too wondered about the sweetness on a turkey, although it really isn't SWEET, it just helps counteract the saltiness for a good balance....which is good since turkey historically isn't supposed to be sweet. It sure helps the skin with the maillard though. It might be a touch salty if you reduce the sugar too much, but please keep me updated!

Leave a comment:

• HC in SC
    replied
    Looks good Huskee - that is one of the finest looking birds I have seen! I'll make a small batch and try on ribs and chicken this week and will give you honest feedback. Neither me, my wife or any of the people dinig with us were really blown away by the S&G on chicken - I used some fat split breasts as a dry run for a turkey and glad I did. Since no one was really happy with it I am thinking maybe I hosed the recipe somewhere. I might have left out the sugar, but I am going for a different rub for the turkey this year and your rub looks good. I really was hoping not just fall back on Tony Chachere's - needed to mix it up a bit and the sweetness in your recipe sounds like the ticket. I will do the dry brine with the salt in the rub as you suggest and report back next week when done. This definitely gives me a couple ideas to break the PBC in when it arrives next Friday. 😀
    Last edited by HC in SC; November 24, 2014, 05:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

This summer's 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis IS OFFICIALLY RESCHEDULED FOR March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info here!
See more
See less
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Meat-Up in Memphis