Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EBR: Eric's Beef Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EBR: Eric's Beef Rub

I've been working on this for about a year. Tuning a bit, figuring out the right quantities for the meat you are cooking, etc.

This is a big in your face rub intended for beef, especially steak and smoked stuff like brisket and chuck roast. It does not contain salt since I always dry brine. If you want it to contain salt, add 4 TBSP + 1 TSP of Morton's kosher salt. You would need to convert to know what that would be using other salts. Personally, I wouldn't add the salt. I would just dry brine and then use the rub. OR mix the rub and salt right before going on the meat, if you aren't dry brining. 1/2 tsp of Morton's kosher per pound of meat.

This rub is intended to go on as the meat goes on the cooker. Wet the meat lightly with water, sprinkle the rub on evenly and liberally, pat it into the meat lightly.
    • 3 tbsp coarsely ground black pepper
    • 2 tbsp garlic powder
    • 1 tbsp onion powder
    • 1 tbsp American or Ancho chile powder
    • 1 tbsp granulated sugar (white table sugar)
    • 2 tsp mustard powder
    I use 1 tsp per pound for steaks, flank, tri-tip, etc and 2 tsp per pound for chuck roast and brisket.

Give it a shot, let me know what you think!

Note: this is enough for one medium sized brisket since it contains 26 tsp of rub. :-)

1 tsp of EBR on a 16.5 oz NY Strip
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1450AF51-AACE-4162-82E8-269252A97C64.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	1100480
    Last edited by ecowper; September 25, 2021, 07:44 PM.

Damn, I gotta flanker going on in few minutes with just S&P&GP cuz nothing else in the pantry sounded good. This woulda scratched my itch! I'll make up a batch and will give a go at some point. Thanks brother!!

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Dang, sorry on the timing …. This works great on a flank steak

I like it though I’d probably sub in brown sugar for white sugar, probably 2-3 table spoons

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I am only using the small amount of white sugar to create a crust, nothing more. BUT I’d be interested in hearing how your change impacts the rub.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      We’re thinking along the same lines here.
      My homemade dry rub calls for white sugar however I use only brown sugar for its ability to form a crust.
      I’ve never looked back

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmmmmmmm, I may have to try that change.

I use the same ingredients for my beef rub. Wow! I do add about 1/2 tsp Cumin. Someone on this board mentioned that once and I tried it. It was a difference maker.....at least for me.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay, so I may try that out and see what I think :-)

Following this one, so I reference, as I have a couple of tri-tips in the freezer that need to be cooked up.

What is your method of cooking tri-tips with this rub?

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Eric.
      I usually go with an SV than sear technique.

Will definitely give this a try.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve, I usually toss a chunk of oak in with the tri-tip. Oak smoke and tri-tip go together like salt and pepper!

• Wedunne
      Wedunne commented
      Editing a comment
      Second the oak. Our local Ace Hardware sells bags of red oak from Santa Maria. I don't know how widespread that is though. I use it exclusively for tri tip now for that Central Coast flavor.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo