Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EBR: Eric's Beef Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EBR: Eric's Beef Rub

I've been working on this for about a year. Tuning a bit, figuring out the right quantities for the meat you are cooking, etc.

This is a big in your face rub intended for beef, especially steak and smoked stuff like brisket and chuck roast. It does not contain salt since I always dry brine. If you want it to contain salt, add 4 TBSP + 1 TSP of Morton's kosher salt. You would need to convert to know what that would be using other salts. Personally, I wouldn't add the salt. I would just dry brine and then use the rub. OR mix the rub and salt right before going on the meat, if you aren't dry brining. 1/2 tsp of Morton's kosher per pound of meat.

This rub is intended to go on as the meat goes on the cooker. Wet the meat lightly with water, sprinkle the rub on evenly and liberally, pat it into the meat lightly.
    • 3 tbsp coarsely ground black pepper
    • 2 tbsp garlic powder
    • 1 tbsp onion powder
    • 1 tbsp American or Ancho chile powder
    • 1 tbsp granulated sugar (white table sugar)
    • 2 tsp mustard powder
    I use 1 tsp per pound for steaks, flank, tri-tip, etc and 2 tsp per pound for chuck roast and brisket.

Give it a shot, let me know what you think!

Note: this is enough for one medium sized brisket since it contains 26 tsp of rub. :-)

1 tsp of EBR on a 16.5 oz NY Strip
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1450AF51-AACE-4162-82E8-269252A97C64.jpeg
Views:	772
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	1100480
    Last edited by ecowper; September 25, 2021, 07:44 PM.

Damn, I gotta flanker going on in few minutes with just S&P&GP cuz nothing else in the pantry sounded good. This woulda scratched my itch! I'll make up a batch and will give a go at some point. Thanks brother!!

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Dang, sorry on the timing …. This works great on a flank steak

I like it though I’d probably sub in brown sugar for white sugar, probably 2-3 table spoons

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      We’re thinking along the same lines here.
      My homemade dry rub calls for white sugar however I use only brown sugar for its ability to form a crust.
      I’ve never looked back

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmmmmmmm, I may have to try that change.

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      I can’t remember who I read, but she claimed palm sugar is her jams. I started putting it in my hack of Mills’ magic dust. And before that, turbinado sugar. Both produced great results.

I am definitely going to try this blend!

I use the same ingredients for my beef rub. Wow! I do add about 1/2 tsp Cumin. Someone on this board mentioned that once and I tried it. It was a difference maker.....at least for me.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay, so I may try that out and see what I think :-)

Following this one, so I reference, as I have a couple of tri-tips in the freezer that need to be cooked up.

What is your method of cooking tri-tips with this rub?

Comment

• Wedunne
      Wedunne commented
      Editing a comment
      Second the oak. Our local Ace Hardware sells bags of red oak from Santa Maria. I don't know how widespread that is though. I use it exclusively for tri tip now for that Central Coast flavor.

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      And y’all know my jams is that white oak! Love red oak, too. Both are always on hand.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      SheilaAnn oak is the California way!

This rub recipe is similar to Meathead's BBB (big bad beef) rub. Proportions are slightly different. and BBB has cayenne/chipotle. I made my own rub using both recipes along with an addition. Cumin.

I have a couple of costco blade roasts dry brining and just about ready for the rub and in to the cooker.

Would you spritz a smoked beef roast?

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      You’re correct, it is similar to Meathead’s BBBR. I figure that good beef is going to be best with some specific flavor profiles, especially pepper and garlic. As far as spritzing goes, I don’t really do that. I’ve tried it a few times and didn’t see much difference. YMMV

Nice Rub Eric! Looks very good. I will try on a flank steak soon. Thanks for sharing

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s great on flank steak …. And flank steak is a great spring/summer cook …. If we ever get a summer, that is.

Oh, yeah! Gonna give this a try. Thanks Eric.

Comment

ecowper nice you suggested amount to use so as not to over-season--Something I tend to do

Comment

• MsTwiggy
        MsTwiggy commented
        Editing a comment
        big_mack someone in the pit here injected a brisket with rendered beef fat from tje trimmings!! I'm all aboard that train 💯 The brisket looked awesome. 🐿

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        big_mack just to be clear, my recommendations are based on what I like and my guests like. I have a standard group of friends that comes for BBQ over the summer and I developed this rub based on that. I would say that you should experiment a bit. Start out with my recipe and recommendations, then start tuning/tweaking to your taste profile. :-)

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        big_mack No, I have not smoked meat with lard for tallow. But it is on my to-do list. BBQ is more about friends and family as my goal, so I lean more toward good eating BBQ. I truly liked the looks of the ribs and the reasoning in the video.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here