Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Sweet & Spicy Shrimp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version  Name:	D2DCE0BD-0FA4-40D1-B199-1BFADC2D08BC.jpg Views:	0 Size:	906.2 KB ID:	1252360
    This might be my favorite shrimp recipe. I can eat these like candy. 😂

A couple things worth noting: (1) the marinade has soy sauce, so if your Cajun seasoning has salt also, you might find yourself in a world of hurt; (2) these particular spices and proportions are not actually that spicy (my wife is sensitive to spice), but you can certainly turn up the heat with the cayenne and/or Cajun seasoning.

Takes about 2.5 hours total time. Give yourself an hour to marinade, and 1 1/2 hours to smoke on low. (This is one thing I think pellet cookers do really well. I smoke at 180°F to an internal temperature of 125°F.)

Ingredients
    • 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, shelled, deveined
    • 1/2 cup olive oil
    • 2 tablespoons no-salt Cajun seasoning, such as Frontier Co-Op Organic Cajun Seasoning
    • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    • 1 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
    • 1 tablespoon honey
    • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
    • Pinch of cayenne pepper
    • Pinch of Morton’s kosher salt

Step 1

Combine first 7 ingredients in medium-sized bowl. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Refrigerate 1 hour.

Step 2

Heat smoker to 180°F. Smoke until shrimp reach 125 °F internal temperature. Garnish with lemon wedges.
    Last edited by Charley Langer; July 12, 2022, 11:55 AM.

Thanks for this. Have something for Sunday.....

Comment

• Charley Langer
      Charley Langer commented
      Editing a comment
      You’re welcome. 😊

Definitely giving these a go. 180 seems like a really low temp - is there a reason for that?

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      Low low temp on a pellet grill to get maximum smoke over time without overcooking shrimp, which is so easy to do.

That looks & sounds outstanding,

Comment

This looks and sounds amazing, and is saved to Paprika for a future cook. You guys gotta quit piling on all these recipes that I will likely never have time to make!

Comment

Originally posted by hoovarmin View Post
        Definitely giving these a go. 180 seems like a really low temp - is there a reason for that?
        I've been smoking salmon at 180 for years because (1) it reduces the "white boogers" and (2) all the fish pieces are more likely to land at the proper internal temp at the same time. Typically I smoke salmon to 125 IT. I see a lot of chef recommendations for 120, but I just "feel better" at 125. (I work with County restaurant inspectors, and I'll just leave it at that... )

So... the chef-recommended IT of shrimp is also 120. I saw a recommendation by a chef to smoke shrimp at 180. I tried it and liked it. Again, it just seems easier for me to land them all at 125 IT at the same time. And if I'm slow to get them off, I know they're not gonna be rubber.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly, OVER cooking shrimp is the main cause of a less than desirable shrimp dish.

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds good to me. Not having a pellet smoker I'll have to figure out how to get a clean fire at that temp, but it will be a fun endeavor.

• Charley Langer
          Charley Langer commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn’t mean to say you *can’t* do them at 225. People grill them hotter than that all the time. I just have found that I get predictable results for shrimp (and salmon) at 180.

Thank you Charley.

Comment

Originally posted by Donw View Post
          Thank you Charley.
          You’re welcome, Don!

Comment

OMG, Looks so good. When I said "Wow!" the misses hurried over to see what it was all about.
            Now to cut and paste to Paprika.

Comment

• IowaGirl
              IowaGirl commented
              Editing a comment
              Copy the URL to this thread and paste it into the Paprika browser. Have this browser go to this thread, and then click Download. It captured the recipe properly when I did this.

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks IowaGirl , it worked.

This looks awesome!

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              I showed this to Stacy and she was all over it. Guess who went to the store to pick up a pound of shrimp for dinner tonight!

Gotta try this one. I have a pound of big shrimp and all the stuff for the sauce on hand. Can’t wait. Thanks Charley!

Comment

Originally posted by bbqLuv View Post
              OMG, Looks so good. When I said "Wow!" the misses hurried over to see what it was all about.
              Now to cut and paste to Paprika.
              Thank you! A couple people have mentioned Paprika now, and I have a feeling they’re not talking about the spice. 😂 I don’t know what that is!

Comment

• pkadare
                pkadare commented
                Editing a comment
                Charley Langer - it is an awesome, cross-platform recipe app. Very popular around here - https://www.paprikaapp.com/

• IowaGirl
                IowaGirl commented
                Editing a comment
                It took me awhile to warm up to the idea of putting recipes in Paprika, but I can't live without it now. It's sure handy. And (despite a slow start to my romance with the app) it's actually fun to use.

• Charley Langer
                Charley Langer commented
                Editing a comment
                pkadare IowaGirl thank you for the info. I’ll check it out. My hesitation is that I have been building quite a library of recipes in another app. 😐

Dang!! Just looked at it, and it looks better than what I’ve been using! 😂
                Last edited by Charley Langer; July 14, 2022, 01:31 PM.

Originally posted by ecowper View Post
              This looks awesome!

I showed this to Stacy and she was all over it. Guess who went to the store to pick up a pound of shrimp for dinner tonight!
              Aww… thanks!! i think you just made my evening! 😁

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Had the shrimp with some dirty rice. Was awesome!

Originally posted by Jfrosty27 View Post
              Gotta try this one. I have a pound of big shrimp and all the stuff for the sauce on hand. Can’t wait. Thanks Charley!
              Absolutely! Enjoy! 😁

Comment

Charley Langer I don't have a pellet. Would cooking at 180-200 for half an hour to add smoke (while coals come up to temp) and then finishing in a 180 oven give the taste you get/look for?

Comment

• Charley Langer
                  Charley Langer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  jlazar a lot of people do shrimp at 225 or hotter. The main thing is to not overcook the shrimp. I would monitor them like a hawk and get them off by 120 IT for sure.

• jlazar
                  jlazar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here