Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outdoor Cooking/Entertaining Area Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the latest. We made a design change on the fly and decided to do 4 sections each with it's own "picture frame." This required me to add some more framing to support the additional parallel running deck boards. I also installed hurricane ties where each joist contacts each beam. Yesterday I started cutting miters for the first of the 4 picture frame elements. It takes a lot of trial and error and fine adjustment to get them all tight. Perfection isn't really possible because of all the variance from one board to the next, but if you don't start out with them fairly tight, they will start looking like crap pretty quickly. I am also rounding over each mitered board, then joining the corners with biscuits and construction adhesive. Today I finished the miters for the first section and got the first corner glued up and clamped. I need more clamps so I can do all the corners at once.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200925_173630-01.jpeg
Views:	361
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	916225

Comment

For my woodworking shop my saying is you can never have enough clamps. I have them on racks all over the shop. All types and sizes. But it seems I always need one more......

Comment

• Dan Deter
        Dan Deter commented
        Editing a comment
        Ain't that the truth

This is like the Carly Simon tune, "Anticipation." I'm dying to see some deck boards and cocktails served on this beauty!

Comment

Good progress today. I got all of the field boards cut and fitted for the first framed section. Their not all fastened down yet, but we think it looks nice. It's fun to finally stand and walk on it.

EDIT: Forgot the pix!

Name:	IMG_20200928_163215.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	917548

Here's the mitered corner detail:

Name:	IMG_20200928_163252.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	917549

All of the field boards are rounded over on each end where they butt up against the frame:

Name:	IMG_20200928_163303.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	917550

A key feature of the deck is that there will be no end to end butt joints anywhere on the deck.
        Last edited by Dewesq55; September 28, 2020, 03:58 PM.

Comment

This is turning out to be a work of art. A lot of attention to the details. Really inspiring. Keep the updates coming!

Comment

Great work. Have sure enjoyed watching the progress!

Comment

I am really enjoying your build.

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Now I’m jonesing to see it done with you on it with a drink and the cooker going

Comment

Man, that looks fabulous! Great work on those joints, and it looks like your measurements were spot-on. This is giving me MCAS (More Cooker Area Syndrome.)

Comment

What perfection and precision. So enjoyable to watch. Thanks!

Kathryn

Comment

I see you are not putting any space between the boards. When I did mine, 1990, they suggested leaving a space. Well as the wood dries out the space grows. Lookin good!

Comment

• Dan Deter
                          Dan Deter commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Current recommendations I've seen were no space if using PT since it would shrink. Composite does require a space, not sure about fancy woods like Ipa...

• Dewesq55
                          Dewesq55 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes, as Dan Deter said below, no gapping for pressure treated decking. It will develop as the wood dries out.

• HawkerXP
                          HawkerXP commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I forgot about composite Dan Deter , yes a friends deck was built with this and the gap closed up and they had the dreaded mold growing on the underside.
                          Last edited by HawkerXP; September 29, 2020, 08:59 AM.

Dewesq55 we need an update, brother!

Comment

• Dewesq55
                          Dewesq55 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Haha! I've got the electrical power 90% roughed in. It's very slow going for me since I don't want to make a mistake. Now I'm waiting for some fittings to finish the electric. They're supposed to come tomorrow. Yesterday I built the platform step from the deck up to the back door of the garage. Today I'm planning to cut and fit some more deck boards, but can't screw then down until I get the electric run. I might have some pix to share later today or tomorrow.

Okay, so here's some pix to bring you up to date.

The hole I drilled in the brick wall to get power to the outside:

Name:	IMG_20200920_132940-01-01.jpeg
Views:	225
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	921730

Running electric out from the house; Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201009_202513684-01.jpeg
Views:	222
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	921731
                        And from side to side:

Name:	PXL_20201009_202439623-01.jpeg
Views:	229
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	921732

Light pole support wired:

Name:	PXL_20201009_202427977-01.jpeg
Views:	245
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	921733

Working on another section of the picture frame element:

Name:	PXL_20201009_202359418-01.jpeg
Views:	220
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	921734

Where the 4 deck sections confer together:

Name:	PXL_20201009_202338579-02.jpeg
Views:	223
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	921735

Field boards in the second framed section:

Name:	PXL_20201009_202323032-01.jpeg
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	921736

From another angle:

Name:	PXL_20201009_202531433-01.jpeg
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	921737

Comment

Forgot to show the step:

Name:	PXL_20201009_202447897-01.jpeg
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	921739

Comment

• Henrik
                            Henrik commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Very cool! Really looking forward to seeing the end result!!

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here